mtbr member

RP3 Rebound adjust question

Very little info on Fox's manual. It says to start "in the midle or 6 cliks from slowest" position. My RP3 has only 8 adjust positions?. So what's the deal?.
    Any recomendations specific to 575?. I am 190 lbs with full equipment and still searching for the sweet spot with rear sus.
    Any other info regarding the rebound adjust will be helpfull as well.
    Sag is set to 25% as recomended.
    Cheers
    GB

mtbr member
    i was told to start with the rebound dial clicked all the way to the right(clockwise) and then adjust back to the left(counter-clockwise) from there. i have mine set at 4 clicks and i am running 200lbs of air for my 175lb frame. i hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have mine set at 2 clicks from the slowest setting. I weigh 190ish with gear and I used to run 190 psi but an running around 160 now, getting more travel, and more traction. The rebound setting of Fox shocks is just too fast till you get close to the slowest setting. I wish they had a wider range but it'll do for now.

I'd turn it all the way clockwise and then click out after riding a bit till you find a good setting.

Who is John Galt?
    I read on their web site, I think, that you want it as fast as possible without bouncing you off the saddle. Try the web, there's some FAQs and other tips. I was excited to see how thick the manual is until I realized it only had three pages on my fork and shock, the rest is other equipment or foreign languages.
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejas Mtb
    i was told to start with the rebound dial clicked all the way to the right(clockwise) and then adjust back to the left(counter-clockwise) from there. i have mine set at 4 clicks and i am running 200lbs of air for my 175lb frame. i hope this helps
    200psi for your 175lb weight???? What do you have the sag set at, 10%?? I am about 185 and for 25% sag on my RP3 I have about 160psi.

Hi!!!
    So for smooth terrain you want faster rebound and then for say rockier terrain you want slower rebound?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Here's what you do:

Find a gnarly section of trail that you know well and ride it over and over adjusting your rebound until it feels just right. It's much more fun than searching the internet and getting opinions from virtual mountain bikers. My first couple rides I took along a shock pump to get everything dialed in. Those settings in the manuals aren't for everybody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    200psi for your 175lb weight???? What do you have the sag set at, 10%?? I am about 185 and for 25% sag on my RP3 I have about 160psi.
    well lets see if you add all of my gear (shoes, helmet, camel back with 100 oz of water, tools, pumps, clothes) then you are looking at another 10-15 lbs, chuck that up to 190lbs total then 200 psi is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well lets see if you add all of my gear (shoes, helmet, camel back with 100 oz of water, tools, pumps, clothes) then you are looking at another 10-15 lbs, chuck that up to 190lbs total then 200 psi is perfect.
    I'm not sure what bike you're riding but that would be too much pressure and too little sag on many bikes. Most FS bikes call for a minimum of 25% sag with some being designed around 35% sag. Are you truly getting full travel? I'm 185 and was running 190 psi and found it was way too much and really limiting the potential of the bike, riding way too harsh, limiting the traction, and making the bike overly twitchy. The manufacturer can tell you how much sag the bike was designed around- in mm or %. Just throwing this out since I just recently figured this out on my newest ride.

mtbr member

OK Thanks

I agree that I need to verify it on the trail but I wanted to be sure I start at a reasonable point. I was not sure if the RP3 had only 8 cliks since the manual imply 12 (says middle at about 6 cliks).
    I had on 2 from slowest rebound so far and started at 190PSI and lately reduced to 165PSI (~25% sag). I must say that I was not fully happy so far and there are sections that I cleared with my HT and can not or hardly clean now. I may have a too slow rebound as I still hit my peddals on rocks that I cleared before. I will keep on searching for the optimal set up and I agree that it may change with terrain.
    Cheers
    GB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I'm not sure what bike you're riding but that would be too much pressure and too little sag on many bikes. Most FS bikes call for a minimum of 25% sag with some being designed around 35% sag. Are you truly getting full travel? I'm 185 and was running 190 psi and found it was way too much and really limiting the potential of the bike, riding way too harsh, limiting the traction, and making the bike overly twitchy. The manufacturer can tell you how much sag the bike was designed around- in mm or %. Just throwing this out since I just recently figured this out on my newest ride.
    i ride a 575 with the rp3. ive tried 215, it was too much, i then went to 200, i liked it overall but from time to time it was just a hair too much, then i tried 165 and it was not efficient and felt like mush. each rider will be different in weight, height, build, riding style and terrain. for where and how i ride 200 works the best for me and i am between 15-20% sag. you also need to factor in what tires and how much pressure you are running in them. i don't care what your suspension is set at, if you have the max psi in your tires and your blowing through roots and rocks it isn't going to feel plush, so don't just consider the my weight and the shocks psi.

Hi!!!
    Anyone else only getting 6 clicks???????
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    i get 8 clicks

mtbr member

8 cliks as well

i get 8 clicks
    So in the manual, Fox consider 6 cliks as the "middle" of 8???. That was unclear to me.

mtbr member
    ya it makes no since to me either, so i just treat it for what it's worth, you want it half open then do 4, a quarter then go 2 and so on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've got 12 clicks, but no difference between left and right. I can't notice any change in rebound, regardless of where the adjustment is set....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    I've got 12 clicks, but no difference between left and right. I can't notice any change in rebound, regardless of where the adjustment is set....
    Your RP3's rebound maybe broken. The difference between slow and fast in mine is very noticeable...

mtbr member

Click difference is very noticeable!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Your RP3's rebound maybe broken. The difference between slow and fast in mine is very noticeable...
    Every click has an impact on my RP3.
    I tried to go to 4 clicks today after settling in 2 for a while and it was very harsh and bumpy. Tried 3 and still bumpy. Now I am back to two clicks from slow.
    I'll try three again when climbing steps and at rock gardens to check if I clear better than with two.
    GB

surly inbred
    The RP3 rebound adjust has nine positions which equates to eight clicks in either direction.

EDR
    I don't know how many 'clicks' I have but I do know I run mine about 2 clicks from full slow rebound. I'm 186lbs or so, 195 or so with gear. I'll go check it out.

EDIT: I seem to have 8 (or 9) clicks. Now I wonder if i'm correct about running at near full slow rebound.....if I remember right when i was setting up my shock it seemed WAY too fast on almost all settings. I can't imagine a 150lb rider getting the rebound set slow enough, and in fact, I remember posts about light riders with that issue....
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-22-2006 at 11:09 PM.