Thread: RP3 maintenance

mtbr member

RP3 maintenance

FOX owner's manual says "air sleeve maint" every 40hrs. "Suspension fluid service" every 100hrs by service center. Is it just to cover their ............... . The air sleeve procedure is quite invasive and maybe time consuming. Do you do it by the book?. Any tips?.
    Thanks
    GB

banned
    Well, the air sleeve isn't too hard to do. The seals are really cheap, at least through Fox. You basically just need a pick to pull them out. It is a bit of a pain to get the teflon glide rings in there, but it's perhaps a 30-45 minute job your first time and then about 30 minutes including cleaning after you're experienced. I used to grease with Prep M until I saw it was actually promoting stuck down. Now just a couple CC's of shock oil is good enough, should you not use the Float Fluid (I don't as it's a bit thick, too).

This link might still work for a video on how to do it:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/BackOff..._float_med.mov

Google around, too. There are a couple boards with tutorials for them. Try "fox float rebuild".

As far as the damper goes, you can safely go a few years on the fluid. Over time the nitrogen charge dissipates and the damper fades when hot. I would say until you see the performance sucks, don't bother.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 07-30-2006 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks, do you do air sleeve every 40 hrs?.
    GB

banned
    Nada. Like yearly is good enough or twice a year.

Clarification: Relube the air sleeve 6 months to a year, change the seals every couple years or something.

mtbr member
    Does any one service air sleeve every 40hrs as per Fox's manual?.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Once. Only to find that it didn't need it and I've now settled on 80-100hrs or 6monthly as my service schedule. Even then, the air sleeve isn't desperate for an overhaul. I ride in the UK, in all weathers too...
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Much dust but muddy only 3-4 months a year for me.
    Should be fine every 6 months I guess.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Yup, try opening it up after 6months and then take it from there. Mind you, if you spot any performance loss/sticking/etc then pop it open earlier. They're great little units.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

EDR
    I've had mine a year now. Never touched it and have yet to have any reason to think I should. I do ride in very dry conditions however, maybe this is to my advantage maintainance wise.

This thread has got me thinking of checking the air sleeve just for kicks though....

Hi!!!
    I've had my bike for about a year now and just had the air sleeve worked on last month.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle