mtbr member

RP3 almost a year old...

and I started to notice this the past 2 rides... I also noticed this on RRB's 575 over the summer but the seeping went away and her shock still functions normally... I'm hoping this is the same case but the way my luck goes with Fox products, it maybe time for a Push job soon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    and I started to notice this the past 2 rides... I also noticed this on RRB's 575 over the summer but the seeping went away and her shock still functions normally... I'm hoping this is the same case but the way my luck goes with Fox products, it maybe time for a Push job soon...
    No more seeping means the lube has dried up - time for air sleeve maintenance. It takes 15 minutes and you can do it at home. The seals are designed to push the lube out, once it is gone, time for air sleeve maintenance. Check the Fox manuals online... super easy to do (and keeps your shock smooth).

mtbr member
    AW_ is right on. The air sleeve maintenance is simple and fast. The inside of the air sleeve needs some grease and that is what you see in the photo.

Who is John Galt?
    And the Fox rep I talked to about my shock says they recommend doing this every 6 months. Strongly recommend is what he kept saying. I think the rebuild kit is pretty cheap too. Let me know how it goes.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Can the air sleeve maintenance be done without removing the shock from the dogbone?

Hi!!!
    Gary --- I had Jon and Dan over at Custom Cycles take care of this for me. After I got it back it was like brand new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Gary --- I had Jon and Dan over at Custom Cycles take care of this for me. After I got it back it was like brand new.
    The 575 is about 1 month away from being a weekend duty or travel bike only. I'll probably take it apart and rebuild the shock then. However, I think I have to get that special pivot pin tool from Yeti...

Hi!!!
    Hey Gary ---

How do you have your shock tuned...rebound-wise. I figure my bike is over a year old and I really haven't messed with any of the settings in either the RP3 or Vanilla RL. What would be a good trail to try out various settings on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Hey Gary ---

How do you have your shock tuned...rebound-wise. I figure my bike is over a year old and I really haven't messed with any of the settings in either the RP3 or Vanilla RL. What would be a good trail to try out various settings on?
    I have the rebound set at 2 clicks from full fast (same as the fork). I do that so the rebound is fast enough to smooth out stutter bumps. The best trail to do this on is Corrals. To make sure it's not too fast (like a pogo stick), I do some of the jumps on Crestline and Kestrel to see if the shock kicks me up after I land (if it doesn't, I have the setting correct). For Rock Islands, Moab and Fruita, I set the rebound settings to mid-way since there are no stutters there, just really big hits far enough apart for the rebound not to be overwhelmed...