mtbr member

RP23 mods on SB66?

Anyone done this yet (DGC's plastic air sleeve mod) for their SB with successful results? DW 5 Spot RP23 mod

Or tried any of the Fox volume spacer kits (if it comes in 8.5"x2.5")

Would like just a bit more of bottom out control at the end of the stroke without harshening things up since the RP23 has no bottom out contol for dem' hits.

Thx
    JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I tried Kit: Float Air Spring Volume Tuning Kit.
    I ride with low pressure and the FOX did not have enough bottom out control on some drop.
    I tried the big spacer. I get a more bottom out control and a better fealing when the "switch" a 100 mm.
    Than I tried the medium and it was perfect .

mtbr member
    Thx for the feedack Chris!

So, how does the Fox spacers affect the suspension on the sb66 compared to the DIY plastic sleeves wrapped around the main chamber air sleeve if you know? Also, does the Fox spacer affect any other aspects of the travel, or just at end stroke?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Thx for the feedack Chris!

So, how does the Fox spacers affect the suspension on the sb66 compared to the DIY plastic sleeves wrapped around the main chamber air sleeve if you know? Also, does the Fox spacer affect any other aspects of the travel, or just at end stroke?
    This article on pinkbike will tell you about the spacers and how to install.

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer by RichardCunningham - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am curious about doing this to my RP23 on the ASR5-C. I donít weight much (155lbs) and have been running 150 Psi for about 25% sag. I seem to be able to easily hit full travel on the shock. This would help that out i assume? I donít necessarily want to add pressure as the bikes rides pretty firm as is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Monkeysnuts I weight 155 lbs and run 150 psi, the last 1/4 of travel was too "soft". I was very close at bottom out. SAG was perfect for sb-66. The "spacer solution" solve the problem.

Jgusta, I don't know how work the DIY , but I believe and I read that it is not very efficient. The volume of this spacer is very small and this camber work's like a "solo air".
    The kit work fine, it 's easy to install even without dismounting the R23 and include fox oil. For sure 24 box for 3 parts in plastic and few oil .....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissb66 View Post
    Monkeysnuts I weight 155 lbs and run 150 psi, the last 1/4 of travel was too "soft". I was very close at bottom out. SAG was perfect for sb-66. The "spacer solution" solve the problem.

Jgusta, I don't know how work the DIY , but I believe and I read that it is not very efficient. The volume of this spacer is very small and this camber work's like a "solo air".
    The kit work fine, it 's easy to install even without dismounting the R23 and include fox oil. For sure 24 box for 3 parts in plastic and few oil .....
    So Chris, did the medium spacer you ending up using firm things up quite a bit at the last bit of travel, or is it pretty subtle ramp up to end? I like the feel of the stock RP23 on the SB, but will knock the o-ring off the shock on bigger hits or anything at all with flattish landing. even if only a couple of feet off the ground.

Thx, going to check out the kit more than likely.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I also like the feel of the rp23 on sb, just the last 1/4 was too soft. With the big spacer the O ring goes 3mm before the end, with the medium only 1 mm left (with my setting). I also think that the boost valve work better (clos the compression at the end).