Hi!!!

New question here. Riding through rocky sections

When riding through stuff like this...

...where it's relatively "flat"....do you want to hammer through a section like this or spin through it? I went the latter route and went to a relatively easy gear, but not to the point of spinning out, just enough to have enough momentum to get through. The two other people I rode with took a different approach and rode hard through it.

What would folks here do?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    I go through sections like that all the time. Spinning to maintain momentum works best for me, rocking and finessing the bike up and over the bigger obstacles, using the suspension to it's fullest potential. I've never tried hammering, sounds like there is little control involved.

Ant

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I ride really rocky sections here in San Diego and have found that speed is key for me.

The faster I go the less rough it seems.

Momentum is your friend!
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Different stokes, I guess. Still, momentum is key.

I forgot to mention - I find it best to go right over the rocks, as opposed to trying to avoid them.

Ant

mtbr member
    the more speed the better as long as you stay in control. I don't like pedalling in rocky sections as you can hit cranks against rocks too often, loosing balance -> crashing...
    Passion beyond reason!

local trails rider
    Find a line that is pretty straight. Do not worry about the minor stuff. Maintain speed. If it looks like rock strikes could be an issue, I like to stay in relatively high gear.

I am no expert but going around every rock does not seem to work for me.

mtbr member

more "trails"

more trails
    Attached Images Attached Images

EDR
    I do either. Just depends on how I feel at the time. Standing up (not necessarily 'hammering') and pedaling at a slow cadence but at a decent speed, kinda like a guy on a singlespeed would, works quite well. My butt is off the seat so it makes for a much smoother ride and being in a low gear gives me the needed torque to pedal up and over rocks like that.

But, sometimes I spin, so...............

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    When riding through stuff like this...

...where it's relatively "flat"....do you want to hammer through a section like this or spin through it? I went the latter route and went to a relatively easy gear, but not to the point of spinning out, just enough to have enough momentum to get through. The two other people I rode with took a different approach and rode hard through it.

What would folks here do?
    Well, for sure I would keep my feet on the pedals...

I, personally, would have been enclined to hammer through that and let the Yeti do the work. Looks like fun. You will have to take me there next time I am in Boise..

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    more trails
    Definately hammer through that... Better put your hands on the bars though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd enter the section as quickly as possible, slightly off the saddle and not pedaling. Keep the front wheel light and get it over what you can't get around. Suck the fronts and pump the backs of the larger rocks/sections. Back on your arse and pedal through the smoother sections. You should be able to maintain a good speed with minimal pedaling.