mtbr member
    May 2006

revelation on my 575?

I am the lucky owner of one of the Fullcycles demo 575.
    I bought it at the beginning on the season and, for budget reasons and not knowing any better (it was the first mtb I brought in the last 10 years), I got it with the standard Enduro kit.
    Now that the winter is coming I am thinking to make some upgrades for the next season.
    Wheels will be the first thing, but I may have some cash left for a new fork (if I can sell mine).
    I haven't been that pleased with the Fox Vanilla performance, most likely due to a less than perfect tuning. I keep on change/trying different settings but don't seem to find the right one.
    I know that some of you are riding the Revelation. Will it be easier to tune? Do you really use the travel adjustment? Witch version is recommended for the 575? How will the weight be compared to my Vanilla RL?
    I guess it can be all summarize with: is it worth or should I keep playing with what I have?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I am running a Rock Shox Pike on mine and love it. I usually run it at 130mm, but drop it to 110 for really steep climbs... it is also nice to ride it at 140mm, however the Pike requires a 20mm front hub, so that might not be what you need.

The revelation is basically the same fork without the 20mm lowers and adjust from 100 to 130mm. It should be really great fork for your ride. I am sure iviguy will drop in and tell you about his experience with the Rev...

The Vanilla is a great fork too, and you could have it custom tuned by Push Industries if you like, just another option...

mtbr member
    Fellow Boston rider here. I believe travel adjustable forks mainly benefit those riders who have long, extended climbing in their area (CA, CO). Since our climbing (while grueling), is relatively short, I don’t think you would use the adjustable travel feature in a fork much (unless you’re going to stop every three to five minutes to extend the fork to descend, then retract it to climb). More likely than not you’ll find your sweet spot, and just leave it there.

Personally, I think you should upgrade the fork, but mainly to get a longer travel fork that will slacken the headangle a bit and really let you rip down the treacherous, steep descents we have in our area. A Pike would be awesome, if you could swing a new front hub. I have a 2005 130-150mm AM SL on mine, leave it at 140mm, and can climb everything I could with the Vanilla and Minute that I previously owned.

Ant
    Last edited by antonio; 11-20-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio

Personally, I think you should upgrade the fork, but mainly to get a longer travel fork that will steepen the headangle ..
    I think you meant to slacken the head angle. A longer fork makes the head angle lower = slack

fb71,
    I just reread your post... I had missed that you are getting new wheels... I suggest you get a convertible front hub like the Hope Pro 2 so that you can switch between QR and 20mm forks with minimal fuss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I think you meant to slacken the head angle. A longer fork makes the head angle lower = slack
    d'oh! good catch.

Ant

Who is John Galt?
    With all due respect to those who own one, isn't that a step down? Pike, Talas, Float or get that Vanilla pushed would seem like a better option to me. And don't forget depending on the fork you might need a different front hub.
    What, me hurry?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    With all due respect to those who own one, isn't that a step down? Pike, Talas, Float or get that Vanilla pushed would seem like a better option to me. And don't forget depending on the fork you might need a different front hub.
    I don't see it that way, only difference between the Rev and the pike is 10mm travel and the through axle, tall the adjustments and smoothness are still there I still own a Pike though

mutaullyassuredsuffering

good fork

I'm running a Revelation shimmed down to 115 on my ASR-SL and love it. I think it is a terrific fork. The Motion Control works very well for climbing, yet the fork takes big hits well. It weighs the same amount amount as my Reba Race with V-Brake bosses.

mtbr member
    I owned a Reba (shorter version of a Revelation). It was an incredible fork, very adjustable and reliable. I also owned a Vanilla, which was ok, but it crapped on me twice, and there was no way for me to get rid of the excessive brake dive w/o taking a noticeable hit on small-bump sensitivity..

The Rev is a step up on the Vanilla, IMO.

Ant
    Last edited by antonio; 11-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member

Rev

I've ridden the stock Talas, a Pushed Talas and the Rev (U-turn Air) on the 575. The Rev is the equivalent of the Pushed Talas (the stock Talas was just too unreliable for me).
    The only problem I've had with the Rev is the sag slowly creeping down (I only run 1/2" sag). Emptying the neg air chamber and refilling fixes her right up.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I am running a Rock Shox Pike on mine and love it. I usually run it at 130mm, but drop it to 110 for really steep climbs... it is also nice to ride it at 140mm, however the Pike requires a 20mm front hub, so that might not be what you need.

The revelation is basically the same fork without the 20mm lowers and adjust from 100 to 130mm. It should be really great fork for your ride. I am sure iviguy will drop in and tell you about his experience with the Rev...

The Vanilla is a great fork too, and you could have it custom tuned by Push Industries if you like, just another option...
    Man, you really know me well....

Yep, I'll chime in here. I have had a while with the Rev and have come to some conclusions about that fork that I can share.

First, it's an excellent fork and it seems to be infinately adjustable. It rides well and if it doesn't you can change the ride to your liking. I do use the travel adjustment. Shorting it to about 120mm seems to make it more lively in the turns. I do wish however that it would go out to at least 140mm.

PRO's:
    - Infinitely Adjustable
    - External Rebound, Floodgate, Compression Adjust and Lock
    - Excellent dampening
    - Positive and negative air adjustment
    - Travel adjust from 115mm to 130mm
    - Very stiff and rugged
    - Great price for this level of fork

CON's:
    - Infinitely adjustable means time consuming to finally get it adjusted to your liking
    - Probably not as plush as the Vanilla
    - At certain floodgate and compression settings it will make sounds as it compresses
    - Only 130mm and not 140mm

Like I said, this is an excellent fork and nothing I ride would take advantage of the 140mm if I had it but that would still be nice to have. The 130mm seems to never disappoint and it works flawlessly.

Good Luck.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    I've ridden the stock Talas, a Pushed Talas and the Rev (U-turn Air) on the 575. The Rev is the equivalent of the Pushed Talas (the stock Talas was just too unreliable for me).
    The only problem I've had with the Rev is the sag slowly creeping down (I only run 1/2" sag). Emptying the neg air chamber and refilling fixes her right up.
    The negative air chamber is extremely small so even the smallest bit of air that escapes makes a difference. Compressed air will always escape to some degree. It's noticable in the negative air chamber about the same as any rear shock. About once a month or so just refill the chamber and be on your way.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys for your advice.
    After reading your comments I think I will go for it.
    Does anybody have any advice on which version to get? 429 or 409? Dual Air, U-Turn, Air U-Turn? 06 or 07?

I would recommend the air U-turn for maximum adjustability....

The only difference between the 429 and 408 is the external floodgate, however you can use the rebound knob (it's a small hex key) to adjust the internal floodgate, so unless you think you will adjust the floodgate a lot during rides (which I don't on my Pike 454)

The 06 and 07 are identical, get the cheaper one (probably 06)

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fb71
    Thanks guys for your advice.
    After reading your comments I think I will go for it.
    Does anybody have any advice on which version to get? 429 or 409? Dual Air, U-Turn, Air U-Turn? 06 or 07?
    Get the 426 Air U-Turn... 07

Tell Will I said Hi!

Spin-stabilized

what about...

Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Get the 426 Air U-Turn... 07

Tell Will I said Hi!
    the 07 426 coil? pros and cons of air vs. coil?

I have a dilemma involving returning an 06 AM1 (actually wanted the All Mountain 1 ). I am now thinking of returning the AM1 and exchanging it for any of the 07 or 06 Revelations. I like coil forks for plushness but then again have never ridden any of the new generation air forks from RS. It turns out the vendor doesn't carry the 06 All Mountain1(and the color of the 05 ones are well, you know...crappy) but has the lower-end AM1 listed as an All Mountain1 . Very deceiving.

Anyway, I love ETA and the burliness of Zokies but I'm only 145 pounds with gear so I can use the Revelation for small drops and jumps I figured.

What model/year should I get for aggressive (climbs + 2-3 foot drops and small kickers) XC?

Thanks!

The 06/07 revelations are the same (for air models), the coil one is new for 07. I would expect the rev's differences will be similar to the Pike's. Coil depends more on setup to avoid hard bottoming if you take drops, but are also very supple. I am quite happy with my Air Pike, but can understand if you want to go for coil.
    Last edited by crisillo; 12-04-2006 at 07:55 AM.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    the 07 426 coil? pros and cons of air vs. coil?

I have a dilemma involving returning an 06 AM1 (actually wanted the All Mountain 1 ). I am now thinking of returning the AM1 and exchanging it for any of the 07 or 06 Revelations. I like coil forks for plushness but then again have never ridden any of the new generation air forks from RS. It turns out the vendor doesn't carry the 06 All Mountain1(and the color of the 05 ones are well, you know...crappy) but has the lower-end AM1 listed as an All Mountain1 . Very deceiving.

Anyway, I love ETA and the burliness of Zokies but I'm only 145 pounds with gear so I can use the Revelation for small drops and jumps I figured.

What model/year should I get for aggressive (climbs + 2-3 foot drops and small kickers) XC?

Thanks!
    If you want a light FR type fork then upgrade to the Pike. It's a much sturdier fork with a 20mm maxel. But the Rev is a great fork. Don't know about the coil version but I would imagine it's top notch as well. The Pike has a coil version too I think and it's probably every bit as burly if not more than the Zokie.

Call Will and ask him about it.
    Remember: "Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Junk"

Quote: "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks"
    - A Yeti Rider