mtbr member
    Sep 2004

replacing bearings

Well,
    I just took apart my frame, swing-arm,dogbone etc. and have found the bearings to be bad. By bad I mean "notchy".no slope though. This is true for the main pivot bearings (both sides) and the ones that are at the bottom shock/dogbone interface. I know yeti sells the bearings and the tool to dissasemble the dogbone but what about the "main pivots" ? Has anyone replaced these? and does the dogbone tool press out the bearings? any help appreciated........

I rot before I ripen
    I replaced the main pivot bearings on mine earlier this year. Took some photos.

> http://www.pacificafreeride.com/copp...ndex.php?cat=8

There's a thread with all the details:

> AS-X main pivot bearings

It's not too difficult.

damon

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

yeti tool

thanks for the info
    I forgot to say that the bike is a 575 not as-x,however its probably similiar. Does the yeti tool work on all the bearings? Your tool looks like it works fine, however trying to duplicate the way you did that would be difficult for me. I dont mind buying the $ 20.00 tool if it works on all the bearings. thanks.

I rot before I ripen
    yup, 575 is similar and much easier to remove main pivot bearings.

the yeti tool is primarily for the dogbone bearings. you definitely need it for that.

order the bearings + tool from yeti.

in the past it has taken pretty long (weeks) to get parts from yeti. so don't plan on doing this until the parts arrive.

damon

mtbr member

bearings

I just did all my dogbone bearings but not the rear triangle big bearings. I purchsed all the bearings through enduroforkseals. Quick shipping and excellent customer service. Made my own dogbone tool. Quick,easy fix

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by levee67

the yeti tool is primarily for the dogbone bearings. you definitely need it for that.
    sorry,
    still confused.I dont want to make a tool for the main pivot bearings. will the yeti tool remove and install the bearings in that spot? I understand that ithe tool works for the dogbone now, thanks, just confused about the main pivot ones. once again thanks for the help....

Who is John Galt?
    Years ago when I worked in a motorcycle shop we pressed bearings out using sockets. You just picked the socket that best matched the bearing size and put it in the arbor press or used a big vise. We made sure the sockets were either Snap-On or Craftsmen so that if we broke one it was replaced! Might not be the best thing to do on a thin frame but it sure worked for us.
    What, me hurry?

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by stokerslo
    sorry,
    still confused.I dont want to make a tool for the main pivot bearings. will the yeti tool remove and install the bearings in that spot? I understand that ithe tool works for the dogbone now, thanks, just confused about the main pivot ones. once again thanks for the help....
    I replaced the main pivot bearings on my 575 earlier this year, but really, the only memory I have is how easy it was. For the ASX, I had to pound them out. But I'm pretty sure the 575 bearings came out almost without any effort. And you don't need the Yeti tool.

The pivot axle comes out first with a couple taps from a hammer. Then once the triangles are separated, you can tap the bearings out with a socket (from a socket wrench) that fits the outer bearing case.

Give it a go, and let us know if you have any problems.

damon

EDR
    the main bearings come out super easy. Just start the process and you'll see....I think I had to tap mine out lightly with a socket or something.