mtbr member
    Feb 2006

removing 5th Element from ASR-SL

I need to remove the 5th Element from my ASR-SL but do not have the tool that Yeti sells. Is there any way to build my own tool or remove the shock without the Yeti tool?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You do not require any special tools to remore the shock from the frame. All you need is two allen key, one smaller then the other.

Both the allen key goes into the slot at the dog bone to shock connection. The smaller allen key should slot in deeper then the bigger one.

P.s try going to yeti's website and download the mantainance manual.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

confusing instructions?

Thanks for the reply...

When I read the manual the pics made it look like the Yeti was necessary to remove the shock. I am planning on replacing the 5th Element with a RP23...sorry to sound dense, but do I need the Yeti tool to install the new shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think you may require a new linkage arm (dog bone) or may be shock mounting kit set. Looking at the manual, there is a whole different shock removal procedure for the RP3.

mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Shock change

Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77
    Thanks for the reply...

When I read the manual the pics made it look like the Yeti was necessary to remove the shock. I am planning on replacing the 5th Element with a RP23...sorry to sound dense, but do I need the Yeti tool to install the new shock?
    Why are you switching the shock? I just discovered that my Fifth Element is not holding air pressure. Now I'm wondering if I should have it repaired or if I should consider a different shock altogether. Is it true that Progressive has gotten out of the bike suspension market?

Would like to hear your thoughts and how the replacement goes. I don't have that Yeti tool either...and my bike is just sitting here waiting for a solution.

Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think your best option is to service your 5th element shock.

From my experience, the 5th element is a better shock then the current rp3 shock when it is properly tuned.

As for 5th Element being out of the mountain bike suspension business, yes that is true, but there should still be some component floating around to service the shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bad shock, bad shock!

I am replacing the shock for it no longer holds air and the rebound dampening disappeared (it was like riding an out-of-control- pogo stick). Even though there may be some parts "floating around" I do not want to rely on components that have no service center (I am in Canada and no service is available) or are made by a company that is out of business.

My parts are arriving soon so I will let you know how the removal goes without the tool...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That is a shame with your 5th Element shock, as i prefer them over the fox shock.

Anyways, I have realised why you are having such a hard time removing the shock.. The manual from the yeti website are for the current assembly.

I will try to upload a copy of the old 5th element shock assembly.

if you want the manual, PM me your email address and i will send you a pdf of the 575 shock assembly manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hi, im just about to do the same but 1 thing to note. The early asr-sl with 5th's had a different pin to the one shown in the bottom left of that pic from the manual, mine just has a slot for a screwdriver like a chainring nut has..... i have the feeling im in for a long night of swearing and pain as the bolt in trying to remove is REAL tight! good luck and hope your is the allen kep type

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Tooked me a long time to figure out how to remove the shock without the manual, at first i thought the shock was pressed fitted in with the bearings.

hot boiling water does miracels with stucked bolts, tried and trued.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am replacing the shock for it no longer holds air and the rebound dampening disappeared (it was like riding an out-of-control- pogo stick). Even though there may be some parts "floating around" I do not want to rely on components that have no service center (I am in Canada and no service is available) or are made by a company that is out of business.

My parts are arriving soon so I will let you know how the removal goes without the tool...
    This place is an authorized service center for Progressive Suspension. By the way, they are not out of business, they have just decided to discontinue their mtb product line. They are a very successful company serving the motorcycle market.

http://www.garageworkssuspension.com/#

I had my 5th element serviced here and they did a great job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

successful removal...now for installation!

Thanks to everyone for tips on shock removal...it is possible and very easy to remove a 5th element without the tool.

It does appear, however, that I will need the tool to install the new shock. Does anyone know if it is possible to make a "homemade" installation tool?

Mythical Creature
    Thanks to everyone for tips on shock removal...it is possible and very easy to remove a 5th element without the tool.

It does appear, however, that I will need the tool to install the new shock. Does anyone know if it is possible to make a "homemade" installation tool?
    If it's to press the nice pivot "shaft" into the dogbone bearings, throught the nifty little nylon washers, into and through the reducers in the shock and out the other side - then it's easy to assemble the parts needed. I used some 1/2" EMT (light-duty metal conduit), and old deep socket that was just a hair smaller than the inside diameter of the eyelets (to press shaft in/out) and other hardware, a long bolt, some washers (steel and nylon to protect the surfaces getting pressed on), a nut.

Press shaft through all the hardware, in the correct order - in or out.

Easy, right?

follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunW
    I have realised why you are having such a hard time removing the shock.. The manual from the yeti website are for the current assembly.
    That's one thing I really dislike about yeti's website - - no archival documentation. I'm just glad I downloaded the 5th Element setup PDF for my ASX before they rolled it off and put up the DHX info instead. They really need to leave all of the older stuff accessible.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am currently replacing my 5th with an RP23....

On my 2003 asr-sl the 5th comes out no problem.... remove one of the bolts, then put a 7mm allen key on the inside of the shaft to remove the other bolt, then slide the pin out. the pin system is totally different on the 5th than on the RP23. You need a hardware kit to do the conversion.

You do need the special yeti tool to install the pin on the new RP23 though. It is the same tool for all the bikes that use the press fit pin, i already had one for my ASX... you need it just to change the springs. Pressing out the pin is a bit of a pain, but i believe that it makes a much stiffer way of building a rear suspension system.

If you dont have the tool it is really easy to make your own out of some sockets and a long bolt. But the Yeti kit is really easy to use.

the 5th element used a slip fit pin and a spherical eye at the endof the shock... the RP23 offers a much stiffer setup as it does allow side loading of the shock to stiffen up the rear end. Early on this side loaded design was destroying 5th element shocks, until they began using spherical joints.

As far as archived tech manuals or any tech questions for that matter, just email yeti.... they will send you all the old manuals no problem..... Craig sent me the Dh9 manuals a while ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd be curious to hear an update on how the RP23 performs compared to the 5th element. Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I will let you know what i think of the RP23 but I dont have a reasonable rview for the 5th air.

I bought the bike used a little while ago, and the 5th seems to already be destroyed.

It is damn near locked out, and gets much worse on the long rides. The shock also has a completely loose spot in the first 1/4" or so of shock travel(3/4" of wheel travel). No spring and no damping in that spot.

I had a 5th coil on my ASX for a few years... I think they pedal extremely well, but i dont think either were that good going downhill. My 5th coil also eventually became near locked up, with extreme overdamping after time. I am sure some service would be good but even when they are working right i do not really like the 5th.

The RP 23 has a lever to enable the platform, i have already test ridden one, and i can say it works nice... Perfect pedaling platform, and when off, i am amazed how well 3.9" of travel can work. (this is my first full suspension cross country bike, i usually ride bigger travel bikes). I know the RP23 can work, i just need to get mine back together. i should have worked on it tonight, but i got sucked into the internet.
    I am a yeti addict, 8 in all:
    Currently built:
    ASR-SL, 575, DH9, Road Project, FRO
    Currently in Pieces:
    ASX, Lawill-6,ARC

Who is John Galt?
    Look at these prices for Santa Cruz stuff. wonder if they would work on other models?

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...5e39559b52a74b
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Junkie
    As far as archived tech manuals or any tech questions for that matter, just email yeti.... they will send you all the old manuals no problem..... Craig sent me the Dh9 manuals a while ago.
    Oh, I imagined that it wouldn't be that hard if I really HAD to have it. Just a pain though, when they could so easily keep the archives available online by year like so many other companies do. It just takes a little commitment by Yeti and a proactive webmaster.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

installing a Fox RP23...

Thanks for the tips on removing the 5th Element...I have had no troubles removing the shock, but now installing the new Fox is causing me some stress!

The RP23 that I received does not seem to fit the frame...it is the right size, but the end of the shock that attaches to the frame has an aluminum fitting through the eyelets that makes it too wide to fit between the tabs on the frame. The end that attaches to the dogbone already has a fitting through the eyelets that has to come out. Any hints? Can these fittings be taken off and replaced with those designed to fit the AR-S SL frame?

Pardon my "rookiness", Diesel, but I am not sure what you meant by the "pin" in your posting what part were you referring to?

I hope you do not mind this message...I am nowhere near a Yet dealer so your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Warren

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

How to make a RP23 fit?

The width of the top eyelet/aluminum spacers is 27mm while the gap on the frame is approx. 22mm...

Can the aluminum spacers be removed?
    Last edited by tyberius_77; 09-13-2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: photo did not upload ("cannot connecto server message")