mtbr member

New question here. recommended torque wrench?

Since the Yeti 66 uses some TI hardware it's time for me to buy a bike specific torque wrench. I have a couple for working on the jeep and other vehicles but I need something in inch/oz or even inch/lbs.

What do the Yeti elite use? I'd like some thing with a clicker and not a beam type but that may be hard to find at a reasonable price point. I don't have a problem with spending a good chunk of cash on it as long as it will last and is accurate.

Thanks!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    sweet, a lot cheaper than some other options.

mtbr member
    Part of the reason bike specific Torque Wrenches are so expensive, is because they torque cw and ccw, while most mechanics torque wrenches only torque in the cw direction. It is not a huge deal but it is something to think about if you want to torque bottom brackets or if you have something else on your bike that tightens ccw. I have a park torqe wrench for high torques and a syntace one for small stuff. Both are pretty expensive and probably a little over kill.
    Park TW-6 Ratcheting "Click Type" Torque Wrench from ModernBike.com
    Amazon.com: Syntace Torque Wrench, 1/4" Drive, 1-20 Newton-Meters: Sports & Outdoors
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    I use this one.
    Amazon.com: Park Tool Ratcheting Click Type Torque Wrench, 7 1/2-Inch: Sports & Outdoors
    The 1/4" size is just right, I would think the 3/8" wouldn't go low enough.
    Go over the Obstacles, Not around them.

mtbr member
    Well with most of the bolts on the yeti between 40-95 inch/pounds I'd rather have something that went a little lower than that one right above.

I have seen some nice ones but $150+ seems a little crazy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have seen several sold under varying brands on sites like Nashbar and Pricepoint. I used a generic version as well and have had good luck. Just important to back out the spring to keep it accurate. I really appreciate this on the SB66C as the axles are barely tight and the collet bolts are very tight. Also when you get your torque accurate and use a cross tightening pattern on your stem bolts you get a nice balance of hold and the ability to "move back into place and hold after a crash in a race without destroying your overprices carbon whatever".

mtbr member
    How low to you want to go?
    The TW-5 is between 26-132 Inch Pounds.
    That should be a sufficient range.
    Go over the Obstacles, Not around them.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I know buying tools at a place like Harbor Freight is generally a bad idea because they're stuff is usually poor quality, but do they sell bike specific torque wrenches? Might be worth it to look into it??

mtbr member
    !BWA HAHAHA! No way would I buy a torque wrench from harbor freight. The only tools I buy from there are the ones I leave in my jeep and if I loose them on the trails or in some mud hole I don't care.

I'm really liking that craftsman 3/8 posted above but I'm not above spending a few more bucks for something bike specific.

My buddy kept all the nice tools when he closed his bike shop. He has this really nice digital wrench that can be set up to beep when the torque setting is reached. Kinda cool but wow, wasn't cheap.

Tribe Member

Pedros or CDI torque wrenchs

I have had really good luck with the Pedros torque wrench. You can get them off of ebay for a good price new or from Pedros direct.

Depending on how much you are going to use them, the CDI pre set torque wrenches are great deal. I think this is what the Yeti guys use also. I kinda remember seeing them maybe in the SB-66 build or the lunch ride video on the Yeti website. These CDI's are made by Snap On tools.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round