mtbr member

Recommend a Yeti dealer

I'm looking to pick up an SB 95c this summer. I don't want to do a frame up build, but plan to start with the Race build and want to swap out wheels (Arches on 350's - nothing crazy) and an XT plus RD before getting the bike. My local mechanic is a great guy and recently became a Yeti dealer. I'd love to buy the bike from him, but he is only willing to sell me the bike, stock, and then add the parts I want to swap out on top.

After some reading around here, it seems that some folks have worked with shops that are willing to credit back for the stock wheels and parts to "semi-customize" the bike, without simply adding the new parts to the final bill. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a shop or dealer that they know is willing to work with me to swap out a few parts, without gouging me on the price?

Any shops or dealers you really trust?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Golden Bike Shop, Golden Colorado, USA. They will do exactly what you want and priced fair.

mtbr member
    Yea I 2nd the Golden Bike shop these guys are very cool ! I have been there a few times and they rock !
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yes, GBS. I bought a SB95a Race and had them provide Stan's ZTR Arch EX wheel set, setup for tubeless, which ran me $120 extra...they would normally charge $150. They are very easy guys to work with and very accommodating in regards to getting you what you want swapping parts with minimal cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters in Evergreen, CO worked with me on a Yeti build. Highly recommended and much friendlier than some of the other well-known high-profile shops down the hill.

Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters | Home

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Adventure Cycles, Parker, CO. John, Erik and the crew there can't be beat.

Awesomist™
    I live in Golden and can recommend both GBS and Adventure, hands down. My office mate has been to Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters and can vouch for them as well.

That said: stick with your local guy. Seriously. You know him, you trust him, he's gonna work on your bike anyways. I know he won't do the "credit back" thing, but you can do this yourself with a little time and the power of MTBR classifieds, eBay, or Craig's List. Bonus, you can probably get more $$$ selling a brand new take-off wheelset on eBay than the bike shop would credit you anyways. As for the XT Plus rear derailer, I think that's what you'll get with the Yeti Race kit anyways, so you're really only talking about customizing wheels... not worth it to jump ship from your current guy IMHO.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member

Recommend a Yeti dealer

Thanks for the advice. This is what I'm really torn over. In not a super wealthy guy and this bike will be stretching it, so overall cost is I portably but I like and trust my guy and don't want to offend him. It was also his advice to sell the new set of takeoff wheels if I couldn't afford to hang onto them AND get a new set. The I Lu issue for me is that I couldn't afford to upgrade the wheels right off and therefore would have to ride the stock wheels (and set them up tubeless) so they couldn't be sold "as new").

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You are lucky..on East coast my choices are pretty much limited to Jenson, Competitive Cyclist, Ebay, MTBR and Pinks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I dunno if they'd do the semi-customizing but Cutter's Bike in Bethlehem PA seemed AWEFULLY nice when I had a protracted conversation with them May '12. I wish I hadn't already ordered my '96 before I ran into their shop - but they're 90 miles away so not exactly local.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Drive to Idaho. We will do it for you.

Send from my phablet.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Talk with your local dealer and let him know that you are considering buying from someone else so you can get the bike semi-customized. See how he reacts.

Other option: Have your local dealer buy the frame and the specific parts you want...doesn't matter if it is very similar to the race build, get built what you want.

Finally, spec a bike with another shop, say GBS, and see how much extra the bike will cost with the swapped parts + shipping. You may find the price not too far off a "custom" build.

mtbr member
    Thanks - all things I am considering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Thanks - all things I am considering.
    If you value your relationship with the local mechanic, work with him. Sounds like he is a small guy/dealer, rather than a big store. Don't expect him to be too happy when you bring your new Yeti in for service.

I bought my frame on close-out from an internet dealer, and purchased almost all the parts (except the wheelset!) from LBS. Their prices matched all of the online guys, except I had to pony up the taxes. The LBS is not a Yeti dealer (Spec + Trek).

Many of my friends make a point of not doing business with friends, I'm the opposite. Can understand you wanting to get the best price, but if it came down to two weeks of riding the old bike until the new wheels come in, doesn't seem too bad.

dve
    12 sb66c
    08 575

mtbr member
    I second Adventure Cycles off of Parker Road. Erik is awesome, and the whole crew there is super inviting, and very knowledgeable - things not always seen at bike shops (unfortunately).

Root Master
    My LBS is not a Yeti dealer so I bought the frame from Competitive Cyclist. I did buy every other part I needed from the LBS and paid them to assemble the thing. I often get a deal on the labor when I buy parts from them and I enjoy supporting a local, small business when I can. It's an important relationship to maintain to be honest.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    I'd tell your local guy your situation: you'd like to buy from him, but the stock bike is not what you want, and other shops are willing to work with you on customizing. Explain that while you'd like to buy from him, that kills the deal.

If he wants your business, he'll work something out (might be the replacement parts at cost or something other than credit for the take-off stuff). I'd come up with a price you can get what you're looking for elsewhere, and give your local shop a chance to match it.
    If he doesn't want the sale or can't match, hopefully he can understand where you're coming from without hard feelings. IMO if he can't do that, then there's no need for loyalty on your part. If you value the relationship with the shop, it's only reasonable that they value the relationship with you as well. It's only an important relationship if it's mutually beneficial - if it's just you paying whatever they say for the honor of having them work on your bike (which you could easily do yourself, or find someone else equally capable), why would you want to maintain that?

mtbr member
    my LBS (which my son works at so yeah, loyalty!) just started a new program, they take your old stuff and new take-offs and sell em on EBAY for their customers. I think they give you the money or maybe they do a store credit or something-such. Awesome idea I think and I'm gonna start using that ASAP! Good luck
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Adventure Cycles John and Erik will take care of you. Golden guys are good also.