mtbr member
    Aug 2006

received a new 575...

hi all my dad has just come back from hawaii, he brought back a new small 575 for me thanks Neil/Flyer for referring me to full cycles the thule box is really nice!

i purchased the raw colour in enduro build and aluminium chainstays, with a few changes, xt cassette and cranks, and odi lock-ons. was thinking of changing the fork but i think i'll do it later along with the wheels. the fork that came with the bike is a 2007 fox vanilla rl (140mm) and 2007 fox rp23 for the shock. sort of a shame that the drivetrain (x9 rear derailler and shifters) are 2006 models, along with the avid juicy 5s.

just some quick comments when i was fiddling around with it, the seat clamp is a bit of a let down, they should have made the hole in the seat tube at the front of the tube instead of the back where it'll get a little dirty.. also can't fit a drink bottle inside the frame but it is a small size... below the bottom tube will be way too dirty but it'll have to do since i have no hydro pack yet..

i've still got to torque all the bolts to the right amounts and also set the suspension up. bike should be up and running later this week it will be a nice change from riding full rigid

pics will be up shortly

mtbr member
    Get a side entry water bottle cage at the LBS.

Adobo Lover
    Works with a small bottle on my small 575
    Attached Images Attached Images
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

banned
    Running later this week?

Bolts right? Suspension set-up?

Just go ride it or I will!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    good idea on the side entry water cage..

a couple more nitpicks the seatpost doesn't go all the way down.. i'm not sure if it's an australian or kona thing, but i have my front brake on the right.. the hoses aren't long enough to swap the brakes

but the small size is good for me, had a quick ride in the front yard, might get a shorter stem though, but i'll have to have a decent ride first

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by iconic83

a couple more nitpicks the seatpost doesn't go all the way down..
    cut it to lenght if needed.....the Yeti does not have an interrupted seat tube so not sure why it won't go down. How tall are you? How long is your seatpost?

Anyhow if water bottles, seat tube and clamp issues are your biggest concerns you've got no problems! Enjoy the bike on the trails, all that will go away.

FWIW the stock seat clamp sucks, go order a Hope or Salsa and never look back. It will be the best money you'll ever put into this bike (besides a Pike, haha!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    it was the sticker on the seatpost that wasn't allowing the seatpost to go down fully the seat clamp seems to be fine, i'll change it when i get fed up with it

i purchased a torque wrench today, 1/4" 30-150in/lb though it's soo heavy and big it's unusable on a bike. what torque wrenches do you use? i'm thinking of getting the park tools one now, hopefully it'll be small enough and light enough to use..

also i think i might have stuffed the rear juicy 5s i took off the rear wheel to change the tires, and tried putting the red stopper inside the caliper, but it wouldn't fit i accidently took off the right hand side pad and later on i couldn't fit it back in so i took off the other pad, now both won't get back in.. i think it's to do with the thin metal X shape guard inside the caliper.. before the rotor was rubbing

i'm going to take the bike to the bike shop tomorrow to see what can be done..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    just read the manual for the juicys rear brake is fine.. though the rotor is warped probably caused by shipping.. or maybe the torx screws aren't torqued equally...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    Works with a small bottle on my small 575
    It looks like, in the picture of that bottle cage, that it sits lower than the standard cage....yes, no?

I have been searching for an adjustable cage, but they are really scarce. The old style American Classic cages adjust, but the new style doesn't

It looks like there is about 1 1/2 inches of room to lower the cage. Yeti....com on now, this is a no-brainer fix!

J-

mtbr member

i purchased a torque wrench today, 1/4" 30-150in/lb though it's soo heavy and big it's unusable on a bike. what torque wrenches do you use? i'm thinking of getting the park tools one now, hopefully it'll be small enough and light enough to use..

you know you don't need to carry a torque wrench with you riding, right? These are precision instruments, the park torque wrenches (or any beam-type) shouldn't be stored in a tight bag (like a camelback), the beam will bend leaving the torque readings off. 150 in# is a little low max anyway, BB cups and cassette lockrings are way higher than that (not that you need precision torque on those).

mtbr member
    just read the manual for the juicys rear brake is fine.. though the rotor is warped probably caused by shipping.. or maybe the torx screws aren't torqued equally...
    Most rotors I've purchased (Hayes and Shimano) are slightly warped out of the box.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i'm not carrying the torque wrench around, i'm using it in the garage.. the reason why i want the torque wrench is for the frame pivot bolts.. but i guess taking the bike to a decent bike shop should be good enough haha

could be a stupid question.. but when you set the sag for the rear shock, it doesn't matter whether propedal is on or what compression setting it is in (1,2,3) right

one more thing for the stock wheels, they include light weight tubes with 1 ply minion tires so the tires aren't that heavy.. i have swapped them for the larsen tt that i was using on my rigid.

Adobo Lover
    I don't think so, it could be sitting a little lower. I guess the problem wasn't that a small bottle couldn't fit in that space but I couldn't insert a bottle into the standard cage.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    I don't think so, it could be sitting a little lower. I guess the problem wasn't that a small bottle couldn't fit in that space but I couldn't insert a bottle into the standard cage.
    The Elite Side Entry does sit a little lower. I bought RRB an Elite Side Entry and I have a Specialized Side Entry and using the same bottle (wide mouth small bottle), her bottle clears the RP3 lever while mine touches it. Maybe 3 to 5mm difference but enough to make me want an Elite.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    here are the pics too lazy to bring down the dslr..

here is my old bike, now my work commuter needs a clean though

Hi!!!
    What shop in Hawaii did he get it from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bike? He got it from Will at Fullcycles. I think his dad bought it and then took it back with him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Flyer is right, i called will and purchased the bike from full cycles. got it posted to hawaii as my dad was there visiting relatives, then took it back to australia as checked in luggage.

Hi!!!
    Looks like we got a couple of things in common....

Hawaii & Australia and a 575. I have many relatives spread out on Oahu, Maui, and the
    Big Island as well as Oz. And of course I have a 575!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    haha all my dad's family live in hawaii, while all my mum's family live here in brisbane.. it's a shame that i've already been to honolulu 3 times but i don't do much when i get there might go again this year with some friends

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i've had 2 rides on the bike now, was aiming for 3 today but it rained all day.. first ride was just awesome, went to the usual trails i go to (gap creek) climbing was pretty good i suppose, but the decent was just too good.. coming from a fully rigid, i don't need to pick any lines or loose any momentum, no fatigue in the hands from all the bumps now i got to the trails at around 5pm rode till it was almost pitch black just an hour or so.. however i started to get some lower back pain. i think it's caused by the seat being angled too high on the tip? the handlebars had been moved below the stack of spacers (different from the pics)

i had a second ride at bunya forest with some nice guys from mtbdirt.com.au yesterday. first time at bunya, great trails there but they aren't all linked up like in gap creek but still fun.. i noticed that when i'm on the bike, i'm pedalling with my legs more forward than my body, sort of like there is a really slack seat tube or the seat might be too far back though the seat rails are half way on the seatpost... might be that i'm still getting used to the bike. my 15" kona scab had a HA of 71, SA of 74, TT of 21.7" compared to 69, 72, 22.4" for the small 575.

but i guess the most strange feeling was the flexy rear end on the 575.. felt a bit strange as if i had a flat.. but i think the suspension is designed like that? i am around 67kg, 150 pounds.. i'm pretty sure all the bolts are done up and the rear wheel is fine.. i've got the stock wheels from the enduro build..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    one small issue i gotta get used to too are the shifters, with the low end drivetrain on my old bike i had to hold the trigger to change the gears, but with the x9 i'm still doing that and the gears are skipping when changing up, i think i've gotta flick the triggers without holding them..

mtbr member
    however i started to get some lower back pain. i think it's caused by the seat being angled too high on the tip? the handlebars had been moved below the stack of spacers (different from the pics)

i noticed that when i'm on the bike, i'm pedalling with my legs more forward than my body, sort of like there is a really slack seat tube or the seat might be too far back though the seat rails are half way on the seatpost... might be that i'm still getting used to the bike. my 15" kona scab had a HA of 71, SA of 74, TT of 21.7" compared to 69, 72, 22.4" for the small 575.

but i guess the most strange feeling was the flexy rear end on the 575.. felt a bit strange as if i had a flat.. but i think the suspension is designed like that? i am around 67kg, 150 pounds.. i'm pretty sure all the bolts are done up and the rear wheel is fine.. i've got the stock wheels from the enduro build..
    When the bike settles into it's sag, the nose of the saddle will tilt a little bit. I set my saddle so it's level when i'm on the bike (so the front is tilted up slightly when I'm not on the bike).
    The sag also lengthens your wheelbase a little but should not be enough to notice. Take measurements of how far back your saddle is on the HT (relative to the BB) and match it on 575.
    Going from a HT to almost 6" of travel will feel like you have a flat in the back (it will always make you look down to make sure the tire is still inflated). You'll get used to it after a few rides. The rear is not flexy (side to side) on the 575.