mtbr member

Reba on a 575 for Endurance Race - Opinions?

Hey Tribe and Tribe Friends,
    I’m on 5 man team for next weekends 24 Hours at Great Glen in NH. This is my first race of any type, and I’m counting on doing 4, maybe 5 laps. We’re there mostly to have fun, but I still want to be somewhat competitive.

So, for anyone who has endurance raced on a 575, raced on a 575, or just has an opinion: What do you think of my swapping my AM SL (130-150, kept mostly at 130 with a pretty long A-C, ~4.5 lbs) for my hardtail’s Reba Team (115mm, ~ 3.7 lbs) for this race? When you guys race, do you ever lower the travel on your forks? Have you ever raced with a Zoke AM, or another tall, heavy fork, and regretted it?

I’m leaning towards slapping the Reba on the 575, but I LOVE the plushness and stiffness of the AM. I’m used to the weight and height of the AM, but then again, I’ve never raced before.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ant

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Hey Tribe and Tribe Friends,
    Iím on 5 man team for next weekends 24 Hours at Great Glen in NH. This is my first race of any type, and Iím counting on doing 4, maybe 5 laps. Weíre there mostly to have fun, but I still want to be somewhat competitive.

So, for anyone who has endurance raced on a 575, raced on a 575, or just has an opinion: What do you think of my swapping my AM SL (130-150, kept mostly at 130 with a pretty long A-C, ~4.5 lbs) for my hardtailís Reba Team (115mm, ~ 3.7 lbs) for this race? When you guys race, do you ever lower the travel on your forks? Have you ever raced with a Zoke AM, or another tall, heavy fork, and regretted it?

Iím leaning towards slapping the Reba on the 575, but I LOVE the plushness and stiffness of the AM. Iím used to the weight and height of the AM, but then again, Iíve never raced before.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ant
    I have lowered my Revelation down to 120mm on my bike and it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was just mental or something but I felt like I needed the extra travel to match the rear. That AM is probably a heavy beast though... I would say you would get more mileage with a light set of tires and tubes, wheels if you have them. I originally wanted the Revelation with the travel adjustment because I figured I would lower it to get the more XCish feel but now after riding a while on it I can't see lowering it for anything except a sustained climb. IMHO.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Any idea what the course will be like? Is it technical or a more typical XC course that is twisty and tight?

I think there is some wisdom behind the "Race what you are used to" mentality, but depending on the course I'd think about switching to the Reba as well.

FWIW, I run my Pike at 140mm most of the time, but there are a couple of places I ride that are non-technical, drag race type courses and for those I drop the Pike to 110mm and firm up the RP3, which I find makes the 575 a capable XC machine.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Any idea what the course will be like? Is it technical or a more typical XC course that is twisty and tight?

I think there is some wisdom behind the "Race what you are used to" mentality, but depending on the course I'd think about switching to the Reba as well.

FWIW, I run my Pike at 140mm most of the time, but there are a couple of places I ride that are non-technical, drag race type courses and for those I drop the Pike to 110mm and firm up the RP3, which I find makes the 575 a capable XC machine.
    Hey, when you lower to that height, do you find that you put a lot more weight on your hands and front of the bike?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Hey, when you lower to that height, do you find that you put a lot more weight on your hands and front of the bike?
    I don't really notice it. There has to be more weight being put on the front tire, as I can tell it helps corner in the twisty, tight stuff but I don't notice any difference in posture on the bike.

I also use 110mm mode for times when I'm doing many miles of sustained climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I have lowered my Revelation down to 120mm on my bike and it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was just mental or something but I felt like I needed the extra travel to match the rear. That AM is probably a heavy beast though... I would say you would get more mileage with a light set of tires and tubes, wheels if you have them. I originally wanted the Revelation with the travel adjustment because I figured I would lower it to get the more XCish feel but now after riding a while on it I can't see lowering it for anything except a sustained climb. IMHO.
    The REV in 100mm mode has crappy compression (of course, just my opinion). I only crank it down to 100mm when climbing steeps stuff... I've ridden it downhill in 100mm mode accidentally a couple of times and the bike is twitchy and blows through it's travel very quickly. Having said this, the Reba at 100 is probably pretty good (but the bike will still be twitchier thant what you're used to).
    Antonio- if an option, see if you can pick up a new Talas with the 140-120-100 switch (not cheap however)...
    Good luck with the race...

mtbr member
    look at the A/C distances, marzocci says 521 for the AM1 in 130mm, Yeti says the 69 degree HA is based on a 500mm ride hight - so 21mm of sag on your fork. Rock Shox, of course doesn't publish A/Cs but if we assume the A/C of the Reba is 500mm (deduct 15 from the Marz - the difference in travel, plus a little because Marzs tend to have higher A/Cs than other forks with the same travel). If you run the same % sag with the reba your head angle will be a little less than 70 degrees. The bike will handle differently, but I don't think so much so that it would cause you problems. On the other hand you generally don't want to make a change like that right before a race without having some time to get used to it.

I made a spreadsheet that figures out how different forks affect the geometry of bikes, send me a PM if you want to play around with it some more.

mtbr member
    Iviguy - Yeah, I feel the same way about lowering the travel on the 575. I didn't like the way my Minute handled whenever I dropped the travel. I'm sure I initially won't like the Reba at 115, but I wonder if I could get used to it quickly and it be beneficial in the long run for the race. And I'm with you on the lightweight wheels. I'm borrowing my wife's wheelset (she just doesn't know it yet ).

JDub -I actually didn't think to ask bout the trail conditions (duh). I looked up some reviews on line and asked some of my teammates, and it seems the course will be a lot tamer than most New England trails - swoopy and smooth. This definitely favors the Reba going on the 575.

flipn - Thanks for the suggestion on the new Fox. It seems like it would be an excellent match for the Yeti, but I would be served with divorce papers the minute I got back from the race. If the Rev's compression at minimum travel is poor, does this mean that the Reba's compression at max travel would be good?

Joules - yeah, I crunched the numbers, too, and it looks like I'll lose about 25mm of height between the AM at 130 and the reba at 115, or roughly 1 degree. I have a week to get used to it, but I honestly don't see myself swapping forks until race day. I really hope I can adjust quickly. I'll have the AM on hand in case I can't.

I'm petty sure I'll be swapping the forks. I'll let you guys know how it went. If I remember to bring the camera, I'll post some pics up as well.

Ant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    flipn - Thanks for the suggestion on the new Fox. It seems like it would be an excellent match for the Yeti, but I would be served with divorce papers the minute I got back from the race. If the Rev's compression at minimum travel is poor, does this mean that the Reba's compression at max travel would be good?

Ant
    I only have a couple of rides on a Reba at 100mm and it felt really good...

mtbr member
    i just got the new TALAS RLC 140mm and it is amazing, down right plush as hell. i rode it today at 100mm on some flat stuff and it wasn't bad, it felt twitchy but then again im not familiar with that bike at a low front end setting like that. i think it will come in handy on long steep climbs though. it was def worth the extra $125 on my enduro build kit and the 2007 forks just looks so much better, new arch and non flashy streamlined looks.