Who is John Galt?

Real Yeti test ride

I've been aching to get the Yeti out and give it a real ride so I headed to Council Bluff Lake which has a nice 14-mile loop around a scenic lake deep in the Missouri Ozarks. What I hadn't considered is this site was in th epath of the freak storm system that has St. Louis still without power. The Park Ranger I met coming in said I was the first one to try the trail since the storm two days agao. Undaunted, I headed into the woods and found the first downed tree about 100 yards later. For four hours I fought my way around the trail, sometimes getting a nice run in only to find the way blocked again by a big tree. Worse was the little stuff that kept leaping into the chain. Somehow I made it around, found the techy sections of big granite rocks relatively clear and very fun. Also a 100-yard downhill section through an alley of tall pines was OK. I guess somebody had to clear this thing! Despite the downed trees i was able to give the yeti a good shake down. I appreciatd its light weight durig the many hikes over and around the trees and I used every bit of the travel on the rocky sections. Here's some photos to show you what a Missouri trail and a Missouri Yeti sighting look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, me hurry?

Who is John Galt?
    I wish someone would comment on this post! I lugged my 5-pound camera 14 miles around a tree-strewn trail to bring these images back and no one even noticed! Woe is me!
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    That's a heavy ass camera!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member

3 comments

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I wish someone would comment on this post! I lugged my 5-pound camera 14 miles around a tree-strewn trail to bring these images back and no one even noticed! Woe is me!
    1. It is nice to see your face. Are these trails typical to what you ride in your area?.
    2. Your 140mm fork and maybe short stem makes your bike apearance very different than mine.
    3. Do you ride with your boys?.
    Cheers
    GB

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    1. It is nice to see your face. Are these trails typical to what you ride in your area?.
    2. Your 140mm fork and maybe short stem makes your bike apearance very different than mine.
    3. Do you ride with your boys?.
    Cheers
    GB
    Pretty typical Ozark trail although this one is especialy nice. One drawback we have is th elack of scenic vistas, it's heavy heavy timber, oak/hickory and pine. They hold an endurance race here in the fall. It's a 14-mile loop designed by a Forest Service employee who doesn't bike but did it right. I didn't include photos of the beach you hit at the end of the ride.

It's actually the 130mm Vanilla fork on my bike, wish I had the extra 10 mm as I used every bit of the fork and shock on this ride.

I do ride with the boys, but not on these trails. One area where dad is in better shape (they kick my butt on the track and basketball court.)
    What, me hurry?

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    That's a heavy ass camera!!!
    Nikon D-2 plus a mini tripod for the self-portraits.
    What, me hurry?