mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Racing Ralph 2.35 on back - Sb-95c.. anyone running this?

Hi-

My new 95c (replacing my 95a) came with an Ikon... nice tire if you're a 155 lb. spandex warrior tearing up the dry buff trails of... somewhere other than where I ride (New England.. roots, rocks galore and if it's mud season or recently rained... greasy as all get out). Plus, I'm "not fat, big boned" Clydes so that tire is not for me.

Still wanted something "racy" enough to befit my new carbon wondersteed and was considering running a Racing Ralph in 2.35.

My current 95a has a 2.35 Nobby Nic in the rear and while the traction is superlative, my LBS guy had to wonk around with the wheel dish to make it fit and it's not exactly a fast rolling tire.

I've also run the Conti MK2 in a "2.4" (which is really like a 2.2) in the back... loved that but it last like 3 rides before the bead sh*t the bead when I burped it on some rocks. Okay, I was motoring, but still...

Thoughts? Anyone running this tire on a 95c?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bits View Post
    Hi-

My new 95c (replacing my 95a) came with an Ikon... nice tire if you're a 155 lb. spandex warrior tearing up the dry buff trails of... somewhere other than where I ride (New England.. roots, rocks galore and if it's mud season or recently rained... greasy as all get out). Plus, I'm "not fat, big boned" Clydes so that tire is not for me.

Still wanted something "racy" enough to befit my new carbon wondersteed and was considering running a Racing Ralph in 2.35.

My current 95a has a 2.35 Nobby Nic in the rear and while the traction is superlative, my LBS guy had to wonk around with the wheel dish to make it fit and it's not exactly a fast rolling tire.

I've also run the Conti MK2 in a "2.4" (which is really like a 2.2) in the back... loved that but it last like 3 rides before the bead sh*t the bead when I burped it on some rocks. Okay, I was motoring, but still...

Thoughts? Anyone running this tire on a 95c?

Thanks!
    Here in GA we have some slippery clay if there's any moisture. My first tire combo was a Knobby Nic front and Racing Ralph rear. While the SB95 can hook up like no other going up or down, I found the RRalph to be a bit to slide happy and replaced front and rear with HansDampf and have no desire to try anything else. Better braking and still rolling swell on fast pedaling XC track

mtbr member
    Ya, a RR is no better than an Ikon, imo worst on slick conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Some Dude...

HansDampf fell fast rolling to you? I know a few people who ride it and it looks more Monster Truck to me. That's the issue with the Nobby Nics I have now...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2.4 ardent in the back. Lots of grip but heavy!!!!

mtbr member
    Does a 2.4 fit on the C? A 2.4 Ardent put some nice gouges in my Al swing arm from the side knobs after a muddy weekend at Snowshoe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes it does. I have about 5/8 of an inch on each side. No rubbing at all. Stock rims. I had a couple of muddy rides here at COS and had no issues.

mtbr member

Re: Racing Ralph 2.35 on back - Sb-95c.. anyone running this?

Nice. My only issue with the A is lack of tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bits View Post
    Some Dude...

HansDampf fell fast rolling to you? I know a few people who ride it and it looks more Monster Truck to me. That's the issue with the Nobby Nics I have now...
    I'm around 225lbs geared up and don't go to minimum psi. A RRalph at 25psi doesn't roll faster then a HDampf at 30psi IMHO and the HD lasts longer and has much better grip at lean so far. Have a buddy that pedaled just over 3k miles last year and he swears by them on everything from XC racing to playing on freeride areas.