Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73

    Race bike... Yeti ARC, or Trek 8000?

    I think I know what many of you will say (by all means, they Yeti). But I want to know why. If I ask this same question on the Trek forum I know what most of them will say also, and I think I know why. I need an objective break down between these two options because I'm really stuck, and everytime I turn it around I think I really would like that Trek frame warranty while they still offer it, in which case a Yeti could come later.

    Any thoughts or comparisons between these two?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    Maybe I should have tried this one on the "bike and frame discussion" forum.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karl711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    128
    Yup.
    Sure you will get plenty of unbiased info on there.
    Yeti all the waaaay.
    pain & fear is natures way of telling you you're getting old!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. What are the differences between the trek and arc, if anyone really cares to share biased or unbiased information.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. What are the differences between the trek and arc, if anyone really cares to share biased or unbiased information.
    Everyone has a Trek, few have an Yeti....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karl711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44
    Everyone has a Trek, few have an Yeti....
    +1 on that. Do you want to be the sheep or the shepard??
    pain & fear is natures way of telling you you're getting old!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    That's a good point, be part of the masses or go your own route. Aside from that, any performance reasons to go Yeti over the 8000 or is it a toss up or just a matter of personal taste?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch
    That's a good point, be part of the masses or go your own route. Aside from that, any performance reasons to go Yeti over the 8000 or is it a toss up or just a matter of personal taste?
    They are light, fast, smooth, look good, great downhill and climb like a scapelled ape.

    Nope...sounds like about any $6,000 bike...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karl711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch
    That's a good point, be part of the masses or go your own route. Aside from that, any performance reasons to go Yeti over the 8000 or is it a toss up or just a matter of personal taste?
    I cant comment on those frames as ive never ridden either. The last hardtail i owned was an alloy m5 S- works nice frame but no good for my back.
    Since then ive owned a trek fuel, giant trance advanced & a yeti asr-c ( i still own the last 2 ). I can honestly say the yeti blows any bike ive ever owned/rode clear out of the water.
    pain & fear is natures way of telling you you're getting old!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by karl711
    I cant comment on those frames as ive never ridden either. The last hardtail i owned was an alloy m5 S- works nice frame but no good for my back.
    Since then ive owned a trek fuel, giant trance advanced & a yeti asr-c ( i still own the last 2 ). I can honestly say the yeti blows any bike ive ever owned/rode clear out of the water.
    How did it affect your back, if you don't mind me asking?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karl711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch
    How did it affect your back, if you don't mind me asking?
    No i dont mind. Before i started biking seriously i played rugby league for over 30 years 10 of those at semi pro level, so some quite big hits + ive been a roofing contractor for 27+ years. As you can appriciate my lower back has been put through the mill & the s-works just beat me up on rides of over 2 hours.
    pain & fear is natures way of telling you you're getting old!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11
    I feel like i must comment........Well I haven't ridden a Trek but do own an 09 Yeti Arc.It is a well balanced bike and as said before it climbs,descends and rides excellent also the rear loop stays absorb and soften impacts pretty well for a Hardtail. You buy this bike if you want a confident ride everytime anywhere,if you love hardtails and want something unique with racing history. The Trek is a great looking bike but looking at the frame it looks like it has the typical Hardtail bone-jarring ride. You cant go wrong with the Yeti trust me. Hope this helps.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44
    They are light, fast, smooth, look good, great downhill and climb like a scapelled ape.

    Nope...sounds like about any $6,000 bike...
    but neither of those bikes costs anywhere near $6k; MSRP on the Trek is $2150, and I paid about $3k for my ARC.


    The ARC is legendary. If you've been lusting after one for 15 years, that's normal. If you've been lusting after a Trek for that long, you need to get a life. I'm sure the Trek is a fine bike, and won't hold you back racing, but IMO a Trek can not be a "dream bike," they are just too pedestrian and common.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    but neither of those bikes costs anywhere near $6k; MSRP on the Trek is $2150, and I paid about $3k for my ARC.


    The ARC is legendary. If you've been lusting after one for 15 years, that's normal. If you've been lusting after a Trek for that long, you need to get a life. I'm sure the Trek is a fine bike, and won't hold you back racing, but IMO a Trek can not be a "dream bike," they are just too pedestrian and common.
    Yep, sorry. I was thinking about the ASR C and don't know anything about Trek.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Definitely helps. I'm eyeing on now. Let's see if I can make it happen.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    472
    It's been a few years, but I can say my ARC was the first bike that made me a better rider out of the box. It is a perfectly balanced HT. It's intuitive and just plains rips. I'm sure the Trek is a fine bike (had a Klein Attitude Race before the ARC, which is very similar to the Trek), but it's no Yeti. I sold trhe ARC to one of my best friends and he rode that bike to one of his best seasons ever as an expert racer in Colorado. You can't go wrong with the ARC. I have to admit, though, you couldn't pay me to get on a 26er HT these days. Think Big Top.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    This is all very interesting, and helpful. If there are any more comments or additions out there keep them coming.

    It does sound like the Yeti performance is something I should try. I also like the idea of being able to start with the perfect frame and play around with a custom build project. That is something Trek offers very little of.

    I'm not really thrilled about the 29er thing, but I am going to have to consider the Big Top too. That thing just sounds like it has soo much potential, even as a race bike, or so I've heard.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    update...
    It all happened so fast. I really meant to give all of this more thought (as if after more than two years, more thought could really help) As of now there is a Yeti ARC on its way.
    I took the plunge, I'm in the tribe. I didn't use any vacation days this year so I would get paid for them in a lump sum at years end. This is the best way I can think of to use those funds.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Nice, where did you get it?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    Competitive Cyclist. 2010's are on closeout. I figure it's a good deal because 2011 won't likely see any, if many changes.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    That's good.

    I should have one soon as well. Looking at one now.

  22. #22
    D2R
    D2R is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikepennyless
    Competitive Cyclist. 2010's are on closeout. I figure it's a good deal because 2011 won't likely see any, if many changes.
    Picked up frame myself just before Christmas, thought it was a great deal. Now to build it up

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Got my Arc. Super stoked. Going to ride this weekend. Can't wait.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,420
    I have a FRO. Good race bike (although it could use more clearance for bigger tires in the back).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •