Thread: AS-R or Blur XC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AS-R or Blur XC

I am trying to decide between an 07 ASR Race Disc with a full carbon rear and CK headset versus a new 06 Blur XC silver ano with the SPX XC kit with mostly 07 parts. Both bikes have a Fox RP23 and a Fox 100 RLT. The Blur sells for $2,999 and the ASR about $3900ish, so about a grand more. I love the way the Yeti handles --it feels light and fast and sharp-handling (my LBS says the ASR is about a pound or so lighter) but I'm thinking that the Blur is a better climber, but I am also concerned with maintenance on the VPP. Has anyone spent time on both bikes? I rode both in the parking lot of my LBS yesterday, but still can't decide which bike to get. Thanks for the help. TB.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekboy79
    I am trying to decide between an 07 ASR Race Disc with a full carbon rear and CK headset versus a new 06 Blur XC silver ano with the SPX XC kit with mostly 07 parts. Both bikes have a Fox RP23 and a Fox 100 RLT. The Blur sells for $2,999 and the ASR about $3900ish, so about a grand more. I love the way the Yeti handles --it feels light and fast and sharp-handling (my LBS says the ASR is about a pound or so lighter) but I'm thinking that the Blur is a better climber, but I am also concerned with maintenance on the VPP. Has anyone spent time on both bikes? I rode both in the parking lot of my LBS yesterday, but still can't decide which bike to get. Thanks for the help. TB.
    AS-R. But then again, I'm partial to Yeti. If your LBS doesn't let you demo that bike on the trail, find a different LBS.

Good luck.

BTW - Get the AS-R and never look back... Yeti will be good to you.

mtbr member
    Blur XC has a flexy rear triangle and it is definitely NOT a better climber. I'd say it might feel a little more plush, but that doesn't mean the Yeti isn't plush. The Yeti kills it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thanks. I may pull the trigger and order a white 07 AS-R in a couple of weeks. TB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That white pant scheme is fully sex!

I've got an 01 ASR and I wouldn't swap it for anything but a new ASR. Gawddam I love this bike. Tried 575, tried Trance, tried Rush, nope, just don't do it for me somehow.

(Of course it's wrong to buy a yeti in any colour but turquoise, but with the split raw/colour scheme they have going for the ASR at the moment, it's raw/black or raw/white and the raw/white in the preview shots is seriously lush.)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    As you would expect from posing that question in this forum.. I also recommend going for the Yeti!

I'm a unitard!
    ASR is a great climber. I've said it many times in this forum, I think it climbs better than my two experiences with an Epic.

the white rocks.

MOO
    mtbr member
    AS-R not as plush as the Blur but FASTER,lighter,lots of snap, great handeling, no messy noisy pivots, simple, its a Yeti.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

surprised

I'm surprised you can't tell a difference - even in a parking lot. Hoepfully you can at least hop some curbs, etc. and generate some kind of preference. Then buy that bike. Trust yourself.

I liked my Blur when I first rode it and thought it was pretty good for about 2 years. Since getting an ASR-SL though, that has changed. For me the Yeti just flat kicks a$$ all over the Blur. When I line up at a race, I know there isn't a better bike in the field (although most people think the $7,000 Epic is, and that is fine) and I place higher than my fitness should allow because the Yeti does everything so well.

Quote Originally Posted by trekboy79
    M