Thread: As-r (2002)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

As-r (2002)

Hello Personal,

If you had the opportunity to buy a frame AS-R 2002, would you make him? Would they put new components in that frame? Is he a good frame? I am asking because I am of Brazil and here it is not very common that frame, however I find it beautiful and that opportunity appeared for a good price. What do you tell me?

Thank you,
    Aguiar

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Actually, about 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2001 AS-R frame from a friend.

It cost me about 25% of what a new frame AS-Rsl would cost to buy, and is only 370g heavier.

Due to illness I have only hd one good chance to ride it off road but I am already very happy. It is a wonderful bike to ride.

Mostly have put parts from my last bike on it, so they are about 1 or 2 years old. Some parts are new (chain, cassette, grips). I am using Fox Vanilla R forks from 2005 that are set at 100mm travel. You would not want a longer fork than 100mm. The frame is good enough for good new parts not to be a waste of your money.

When new in 2001/2002, the AS-R was one of the best XC race bikes in the world. Even 4 or 5 years on, it is still one of the best.

Do all the things you always should when buying a second-hand frame. Check the frame everywhere for cracks and dents. Make sure that the bearings run smoothly and that the rear end of the bike does not feel loose or floppy.

If you make sure the frame you get is in good condition and has been looked after well, you will have a very nice bike.

Good luck.

Andrew (Australia)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thank you Andrew,

Does he have as posting some pictures of the bicycle?

The frame that I am buying is practically new, the owner bought a Klein and this having that.

Thank you,
    Alessandro

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Will try to get a picture up today.

Both bike and camera are at work so it should be do-able.

drew

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry, work constraints have emenat that today wasn't possible.

Hope to get a shot in the next day or two.

Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    which the weight of the frame ?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    according to weightweenies, a medium AS-R weighed in at 2690g, so about 370 more than the current version.