mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quick Yeti ASR 5 C (Race) Question

Ok, I just purchased a Yeti ASR5 C. And, I have noticed that the chain lightly touches the inside of the rear triangle/chanstay apex when on the smallest gear on the 10spd cassette.

I took it to my LBS for a tune up and they said the rear D can't be adjusted to move the chain off of the frame. Does this sound right, or can the rear D be adjusted to move the chain off the frame?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    He's right that rear-d can't be adjusted to correct it, it's driven by the cogs, the hub, freewheel body, and the spacing.

What cogs and hub are you running? What kind of axle, 12x142 or 10x135 qr?

for example, I'm running sram xg 1099 10spd, with 12x142 axle and easton haven rear hub. see pic, i have plenty of clearance.

It could be something with incompatible parts and the resulting spacing, like if you are running a hub with 12x135 thru axle end caps, it will definitely run too close to the chainstay.

Quick Yeti ASR 5 C (Race) Question-uploadfromtaptalk1353391050317.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    He's right that rear-d can't be adjusted to correct it, it's driven by the cogs, the hub, freewheel body, and the spacing.

What cogs and hub are you running? What kind of axle, 12x142 or 10x135 qr?

for example, I'm running sram xg 1099 10spd, with 12x142 axle and easton haven rear hub. see pic, i have plenty of clearance.

It could be something with incompatible parts and the resulting spacing, like if you are running a hub with 12x135 thru axle end caps, it will definitely run too close to the chainstay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353391050317.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	738831

Ok, you'll have to excuse me because I am still learning the mechanics. It looks like the cassette is a Shimano HG and it's a 10spd. The axle should be a 12x142 TA...on a DT Swiss X1600 hub. This is a 2012 ASR 5 C race with the XT groupo, as sold by Yeti.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Yeti ASR 5 C (Race) Question-chain.jpg  

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Ah, so, I think you are talking about the chain dragging a few inches up on the seatstay, not the chainstay, am I right?

Because, you clearly have clearance at the axle.

If you are talking about dragging a few inches up the seatstay, I looked at mine, and with the chain relaxed it seems very close to the seatstay (about 4 inches up from the axle) but I don't have any noticeable scuffing there (on the rubber protector). My guess is that under tension this will not drag here.

But, what kind of crank are you running on the front? I run a 2x10 crank so my big ring might be slightly inboard of where the chain would rest on the big ring for 3x10. Its possible if you run a 3x10 that yes it drags a little here in big ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Give this one a shot - it's basically rubbing right where the chainstay guard wraps around the inside of the of the rear triangle apex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Yeti ASR 5 C (Race) Question-chain2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Ah, so, I think you are talking about the chain dragging a few inches up on the seatstay, not the chainstay, am I right?

Because, you clearly have clearance at the axle.

If you are talking about dragging a few inches up the seatstay, I looked at mine, and with the chain relaxed it seems very close to the seatstay (about 4 inches up from the axle) but I don't have any noticeable scuffing there (on the rubber protector). My guess is that under tension this will not drag here.

But, what kind of crank are you running on the front? I run a 2x10 crank so my big ring might be slightly inboard of where the chain would rest on the big ring for 3x10. Its possible if you run a 3x10 that yes it drags a little here in big ring.

I am running the XT 3x10...it looks ok leaving the axel, but gently touches the guard inside the apex of the stay when on the big and middle ring... Once I drop to the small ring, the chain moves off of the frame.

Thanks for helping out!

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Got it, ok so other 3x10 owners might have better advice, but, if this is the stock build I would probably not worry about it too much. If you had some mix of crank + hub/cogs that no one else has, you could have more than the usual rubbing here. But, my guess is that it won't rub under tension, or, your particular rubber guard there is slightly wider than others, which will eventually correct itself because the rubber will wear down there.

If you're like me, you probably won't run big ring+small cog very often, only on downhill pavement to and from the trail, rest of the time you're at least in the 9th or 8th gear in back.

So I say just monitor the rubbing there when you wash the bike and don't worry about it too much unless you get through the rubber there. If you're really bothered by it (maybe the loss of some power due to rubbing there) then you could try to shave off some of the rubber guard there with a dremel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I think you're right. it probably won't amount to much given how little I'll be in the big/middle ring and 10th gear. There's also very little rub at all...just wanted to check-in with other Yeti owners to see if this is common. Thanks again for the help!

mtbr member
    Intersting chain rub. Now I need to look at my Yeti when I get home to see if its been rubbing.
    Thanks for the info fellow Yeti riders.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    I dont seem to have any chain rub on my ASR5C. I am running a XTR 3x10 and a 142x12 rear on XTR trail wheels.
    It is close but dosent look to able to rub at all.
    Pedal Dammit!