Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick set up for test ride on ASR.

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  roy harley 
#1 ·
I am going to get to test ride a ASR in the next week or so. I was wondering if anyone can share their quick and dirty set up secrets on the RP3 shock so I don't have to recreate the wheel here and just go off of of your findings. Is there a weight times a % that I want to set the PSI to in the shock? It will have the Fox Float 100 RLT on the front so is there anything different I might wnat to try with the front and the back?

I intend to race on this bike if that makes for and difference in the PSI set up???

thanks for your help!:thumbsup:

#2 ·
check the setup manuals at the yeti and fox sites if you want to nail it...

I am more of a huck bike kind of guy and i was disappointed in the F100X when i test road an ASR a few months ago.... I just got a 32 talus for my asr, and it really absorbs the bumps incredibly well at 140mm.

Its hard to do,,, but try to judge the fork and the rest of the bike independantly...

I also found that the ASR's steering geometry is damn near telepathic with a 100mm front fork... i just dont like the bump absorbtion of a 100mm.

Have fun with it... the ASR is a rocket ship in my opinion... you'll love it!!!!

#6 ·
I'm about 170-175 with gear. I put 65-70 psi in the RLT and 125-130 in the RP3. I'm not typically like other racer types when it comes to suspension. I like to set the shocks up to where they are getting close to all their travel on a typical ride. I don't look at sag too much.

Rebound I usually put in right about the middle or a notch faster. I ride in rocky terrain.

I would suggest going about 5 psi higher if you like a set-up like that.

#8 ·
If i am going to have a few bikes, i want them pretty well differentiated from each other.

I rode both a 575 and a ASR on a yeti demo day. I actually felt that the asr was a lot stiffer and handled a lot better than the 575. I would have to give the 575 the award for bump absorbtion... but i really liked the ASR.

The ASR had incredible performance out of the back end, handling, bumps, and incredibly good at pedaling. I really didnt like the little 100mm forks i have ridden though..... The Talus gives you 100mm 120 and 140. The 140 works reallywell for bumps, but the steering geometry really is nice at 100mm. This way i can evovle to the best setup for the bike.

Also for me, this bike is is an upgrade from a hardtail. I do 95% of my riding on the Huck bikes, and a little bit of triathlon and cyclocross racing on the hardtail... I really got into the Downieville classic this year, i ended up riding my asx in the race, cause my friends convinced me that it could not be done on a hardtail. I am trying to build the ultimate downieville cross country bike, and i think that an ASR with a talus IS IT. (The course is really rough)...

Long winded answer,......

#10 ·
Diesel_Junkie, thanks for the input but I actually am not interested in the review you had. Been there done that already. I am actually not even interested in forks over 100mm in the front or all the travel the 575 has. The ASR and bikes with that amount of travel are what my search for a race/ trail bike has brought me to. It’s just really hard to get away from the simplicity of a hard tail, but I have seen some of the benefits a full suspension bike can bring. The ASR is the top of my list with Titus, Turner, and a few of the over produced brands out there too.

I am going to start with mtbfool's set up suggestions and then maybe look into a bit more increase in the psi 5-10psi more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.