mtbr member

Question to Colorado Yeti Riders :-)

Hi ... I'm YetiFan form Poland ... I'll be in Colorado in next few days. My plan is to ride in Moab (28-30.04), and Boulder (05.05 - Yeti Demo Days in SportGarage) ... Maybe someone join me and will be my trial guide or give me a ideas for trial ?

I like enduro/freeride trials (now I have Intense uzzi & I had 575) ... so for sure PORCUPINE RIM is my aim ... but what else ?. If it will be possible I would like to check SB-66

PS.
    Did anyone know is It possible to visit Yeti Factory/Office in Golden ?

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Porcupine rim is so fun. I hit that trail 3 times last weekend on my trip to Moab. Your Uzzi will love it. Be sure to check out poison Spider bike shop in Moab. They have some SB66's you can rent. It is only $65 for the day and would be the best way to fully test a SB66.Poison Spider Bicycles | Moab Mountain Bike Rentals
    The SB66 might be hard to come by at the demo day due to high demands for that bike.

If you like dirt jumping or have extra time, you should defiantly check out Valmont bike park in boulder. It is Free and super fun.Valmont Bike Park | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

Home | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance is also a good resource for trails in boulder. My Favorites trails in the area are about 15 minutes north in the town of Lyons. Hall ranch, Picture rock and Heil Ranch.

The Yeti offices are always happy to have visitors but I don't think they are open on Saturday, you should give them a call and ask.
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

mtbr member
    Thanks for info ... I will be in business trip so unfortunately my uzzi will stay in my home ... but this is good reason to rent a SB-66 (Seven have to big standover)

Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    The Yeti offices are always happy to have visitors but I don't think they are open on Saturday, you should give them a call and ask.
    I hope .. but I still waiting for answer e-mail from Yeti :-) I think I will go 26th of April or 1st May (is it also free day in US ?)

PS.
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    The SB66 might be hard to come by at the demo day due to high demands for that bike.
    I was never been on Demo Days .. how it looks like ?

Awesomist™
    When you ride Porcupine Rim, make sure you ride it from as high up as possible. All the bike shops and shuttle services should know what's melted off and rideable, and I think you should be able to ride the Kokopelli, UPS, and LPS sections above Porcupine Rim as well. I like Acme Bike Shuttle and Coyote Shuttle, both great.

Acme Bike Shuttle
    Coyote Shuttle - Moab, Utah - Bike - River - Backcountry Transportation

Also, I just saw this on Acme Shuttle's webpage, might be helpful:
    The Moab road trip: Ten tips to get you there and back - Denver mountain biking | Examiner.com
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

EDR
    When you ride Porcupine Rim, make sure you ride it from as high up as possible.
    Absolutely +++++1 on this advice.

Porcupine Rim is fun but if you don't start as high as possible you really are missing out on what makes that whole system of trails so great. UPS is one of my favorite trails I've ever ridden. Hazard, UPS/LPS, Porcupine Rim and then Porc Rim singletrack are all a blast,and all very different from each other.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mate ...

... but how I could find right start "as high as possible" ? ... I can't find map of this trial :-(

Maybe someone join me ?

BTW.
    I scheduled appointment in Yeti Home ... thanks JohnP

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kondi View Post
    Thanks Mate ...

... but how I could find right start "as high as possible" ? ... I can't find map of this trial :-(

D
    You really need to go ask the local bike shops when you get there. The highest point to start is at Burros Pass which is over 11k feet in elevation. How high you are able to start from totally depends on the recent weather in the La Sal mountains. Local, current knowledge is the key. Ask when you get there.

As to maps for this ride...there are tons. Search google for "Burro Down" or "The Whole Enchilada"

The Whole Enchillada Epic Bike Ride

burro down moab - Google Search

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you get a chance while you are in Moab also ride Mag-7 and finish on the Portal Trail. If you do not have time for another all day ride dont miss Amasa Back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Mate ...

Maybe someone join me ?

BTW.
    I scheduled appointment in Yeti Home ... thanks JohnP
    If you have just one ride you can do in Moab it would be as much of the Whole Enchilada as possible. This is essentially all of the Porcupine rim from the very top which may or may not be fully open depending upon weather, snow thaw, etc. The shuttle will take you as high as what is open. Its definitely worth it either way. Take lots of water and some snacks, tubes and anything you would normally ride with for trail side bike fixes. It can get hot the further you get down Porcupine rim so I would suggest hyrdrating well if your not used to the dry climate.

Stop by Poison Spider bikes or call them ahead of time when you figure out the day you want to ride Porcupine rim (Whole Enchilada) from as high as possible. They have maps at the shop and are very knowledgable on trail conditions, route, etc. Its really hard to mess up if you follow what they tell you. I remember it being very well marked too.

I would recommend scheduling the shuttle ahead of time as they can book up depending upon the day. There are also other shuttles in town that shuttle Porcupine rim. Just google moab bike shuttle or Porcupine rim shuttle.

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    If you have just one ride you can do in Moab it would be as much of the Whole Enchilada as possible. This is essentially all of the Porcupine rim from the very top which may or may not be fully open depending upon weather, snow thaw, etc. The shuttle will take you as high as what is open. Its definitely worth it either way. Take lots of water and some snacks, tubes and anything you would normally ride with for trail side bike fixes. It can get hot the further you get down Porcupine rim so I would suggest hyrdrating well if your not used to the dry climate.

Stop by Poison Spider bikes or call them ahead of time when you figure out the day you want to ride Porcupine rim (Whole Enchilada) from as high as possible. They have maps at the shop and are very knowledgable on trail conditions, route, etc. Its really hard to mess up if you follow what they tell you. I remember it being very well marked too.

I would recommend scheduling the shuttle ahead of time as they can book up depending upon the day. There are also other shuttles in town that shuttle Porcupine rim. Just google moab bike shuttle or Porcupine rim shuttle.
    I don't know if the shuttle will be up and running right now. I would think the La Sailles range still has quite a bit of snow. When we do the Whole Enchilada it is always in August or September. For right now I think you would be fine doing it from Upper Porcupine where the Kokopelli trail connects. My friend just visited Moab and said they have built some new trails at Klondike Bluffs that are pretty techy and fun. You could also check that out. Here is a good site for that area. Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

mtbr member
    Thanks for All Mates - Your advise was very hopefully

So this is my trip plane:

27.04 - will came to Moab (visit Arches, go to bike shop for bike&info ab. trial condition & reserve shuttle)
    28.04 - full 1st day for BIKE (if it possible Whole Enchilada - for sure Porcupine Rim) - maybe someone joy me ?
    29.04 - full 2nd day for BIKE (Moab trials) - maybe someone joy me ?
    30.04 - will go to Mesa Verde

is it good idea ?

PS.
    01.05 - visit Yeti Home in Golden
    05.05 - Yeti Demo Day in Boulder :-)
    06.05 - Back to Poland
    Last edited by kondi; 04-19-2012 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for All Mates - Your advise was very hopefully

So this is my trip plane:

27.04 - will came to Moab (visit Arches, go to bike shop for bike&info ab. trial condition & reserve shuttle)
    28.04 - full 1st day for BIKE (if it possible Whole Enchilada - for sure Porcupine Rim) - maybe someone joy me ?
    29.04 - full 2nd day for BIKE (Moab trials) - maybe someone joy me ?
    30.04 - will go to Mesa Verde

is it good idea ?

PS.
    01.05 - visit Yeti Home in Golden
    05.05 - Yeti Demo Day in Boulder :-)
    06.05 - Back to Poland
    Looks like a great trip. The thing I would suggest is to be ready to be flexible in changing your plans at any time due to weather, conditions and unforeseen events that always seem arise. Bring maps and maybe have alternate routes picked out. All of my best ready made plans always change a bit once I arrive. Good luck and have fun.