mtbr member

PSA - SB66C + Water

All,

Let me start of by saying I live in the Valley of the Sun (a.k.a. Phoenix AZ area) so I'm not used to worrying about water.

I went to the tribe fest this year and headed out of the Valley on Wednesday and spent the last 2 hours of my drive in the rain with the bike on the back. The bike spent the rest of the weekend living outside. It rained a lot before the official start of the tribe so she got a lot of water on her.

~2 weeks ago I ended up turning the bike upside down and to look at the chain stay and what do I find? Yes, water dripping out of the seat tube. I ended up pulling the headset apart and I got a good 4-8 oz of water out of the frame.

It appears there are no lower outlets to let the water out once it gets in. My headset bearings were in need of cleaning and greasing as wll.

Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for that info. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not sure where your water gained entry but just thought I would mention this also...I do know I have rotated my SB95a to an upside-down position on the bike stand and have seen water drip out of the chain-stay internal cable routing holes.

I had mine for almost a year so it's getting time for a tear down, clean and re-lube (main intention was rear triangle) however I wasn't previously considering the headset...but now I will. thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Chances are it's getting down the seatpost unless you have a dropper....
    I recently took mine apart and emptied quite a lot of water out of the frame which I hope was due to running a Thomson post for the first few months of ownership. No holes in a Reverb for the water to get down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: PSA - SB66C + Water

On my sb66a, running single ring, the front mech bolt hole let's water in behind the bearings.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

Unpredictable
    Water can also get in through the headset and I agree that dropper posts seem to stop it getting in through the seatpost. Riding in the wet is not good for bikes in general. I remember drainage holes on bikes back in the day, but modern alloys and composites cope with water better than steel and holes in light frames are not always a good idea, especially around the bottom bracket. Sadly there's no alternative than extra maintenance.

Could be an issue getting onto a plane though I guess. I know they have a bike wash and service area at Rotorua airport in New Zealand. Might be awkward getting a bucket of slimy mud all over the GF's stashed lingerie in the bike box

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I live in NE PA and infrequently pull my BB to make sure it's clear of water down there. It's actually my 1st choice of "pedalling clickiness" diagnostics because water weeping into the BB threads will do that. Adding a dropper to my bike significantly lowered the amount of water ingress, but didn't eliminate it. There's still a slight bit of weeping that can get water inside, as can ambient moisture condensation I think. I've taken to running a fair amount of grease on all the pivot bolt holes frame/Switch wise, on the outer edge beyond where loctite would be used. I also greased the rubber seal on the drive-side of the Switch, and when I rebuilt the bike I made a rubber seal for the non-drive side. This seems to help.

For those in dry climates, aka Valley of the Sun, I'd not worry about the extra work and just be sure to drain the bike on the infrequent wet event to make sure it's happy.

mtbr member
    I assume most of the water came in between the Thomson post and seat tube because I had very little grease on the tube. I had the headset pretty packed with grease so I do not believe much got in that way.

I had assumed that when I pulled the BB to grease it that any water would have come out. After I found the water I pulled the BB and switch and figured out there are no holes into the frame. This is why I post up this PSA because most if not all of their carbon frames will be the same and I'm not the only one that would assume the above.

Therefore the water was in the down tube and when I would go down a steep hill it would flood the lower headset bearings. The lower bearings in the headset where covered in rush. The bike was new in last April.