mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Problems with my 575

Bought a 575 3 months ago. The bike rides great and it's been a joy until recently. I took my bike into the shop because at slow speeds i get brake squeaking even without activating the brakes. It sounds like a 100 dollar huffy when I am tackling an uphill climb.

The well respected shop told me they've had a lot of problems with the 575 and the Hayes brakes they have paired with the bike. But most of the problems have been with the brakes activated. My problem has been happening as well they said, and it due to the rear triangle bending under load when sitting on it. Thus the wheel is out of center a bit and affects the brake alignment with the wheel. The shop said someone needs to sit on the bike and then adjust the brakes "under load"

This all seems like a lot of crap after buying an $3K plus bike. I sort of expected the rear triangle to be stable under weight with any top end bike. Am I wrong? Am I expecting too much?

I understand that high performance also means high care. Ferrarris spend more time in the shop than a Chevy etc. But it seems that a frame bending inappropriately under the weight of a 180 pound person might not be all that it is cracked up to be.

Anyone had this problem with their yeti too?

mtbr member

well...

Quote Originally Posted by Latlander
    Bought a 575 3 months ago. The bike rides great and it's been a joy until recently. I took my bike into the shop because at slow speeds i get brake squeaking even without activating the brakes. It sounds like a 100 dollar huffy when I am tackling an uphill climb.

The well respected shop told me they've had a lot of problems with the 575 and the Hayes brakes they have paired with the bike. But most of the problems have been with the brakes activated. My problem has been happening as well they said, and it due to the rear triangle bending under load when sitting on it. Thus the wheel is out of center a bit and affects the brake alignment with the wheel. The shop said someone needs to sit on the bike and then adjust the brakes "under load"

This all seems like a lot of crap after buying an $3K plus bike. I sort of expected the rear triangle to be stable under weight with any top end bike. Am I wrong? Am I expecting too much?

I understand that high performance also means high care. Ferrarris spend more time in the shop than a Chevy etc. But it seems that a frame bending inappropriately under the weight of a 180 pound person might not be all that it is cracked up to be.

if it was frame flex, it would've rubbed from day 1. I'm betting it could be:
    1. Loose pivot bolts (check the dogbone bolts and torque to spec).
    2. Loose hub
    3. Pistons not retracting completely.
    4. Slightly warped rotors

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the reply. I took the bike in several time to the bike shop where I purchased the bike. They checked the pivot bolts and the rotors seemed fine. I keep reading about the "loose hub" problem, and this is the first time I've heard about the pistons. Can you adjust the "tolerance of the pistons" on the brakes, or in other words increase the distance between the pistons. Obvioulsy you loose some of that nice one finger braking capability?

mtbr member

resetting

an old trick with disc brakes (I'm assuming you have Hayes) is to:
    1. take off the pads
    2. use a box wrench to push back the pistons so it's flush (being careful not to break the pin)
    3. reinstall pads
    4. reinstall wheels
    5. place folded over business card between the rotor and brake pad on both sides
    6. squeeze the brake levers for a few seconds to reset the self adjusting feature of the brakes.
    7. take off business cards and squeeze the lever a few more seconds.

another old trick is to bleed out a very small amount of fluid from the brakes. This also acts to "mush" up your brakes (or make it feel like linear brakes at the max power setting). Obviously, you'll have to do this very carefully in order to not introduce air into the system...

mtbr member
    I'm 185 and have never had that problem with over a year of riding the 575. I run the Hayes 9's as well.

Ant

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Does the business card trick work as a quick fix without steps 1-4?
    I didn't know anything about this self adjusting feature.

Bad Case of the Mondays

I weigh 195, run Avid Juicy brakes and my brakes never squeal at all. Yes there is some small amount of flex if you really push on the rear triangle, but it isn't that much. I'd suspect it would be a rear wheel flexing before the rear triangle.

Adobo Lover
    My nine's rub occasionally, but readjust automatically with a tap of my brake lever. Other than that, no problems with them on the 575. They way your shop put it, then wouldn't it happen with all brands of disk brakes on the 575? I would think you would have a ton of complaints and not a lot of happy 575 riders. I do flips method, however, minus the business cards and have been pretty successful. I do know that there are a lot of complaints about the nine's in general on all bikes concerning rub. Good Luck.

EDR
    Does the business card trick work as a quick fix without steps 1-4?
    I didn't know anything about this self adjusting feature.

No. You need to push the calipers all the way back into the housing and you need to remove the pads so you don't scratch or break them. It takes 10 seconds to remove the pads (pull the metal tab with pliers) and another 30 seconds to push the calipers back, again don't touch that little pin in the middle. Re-install the pads opposite of how you removed them. They will 'click' in place when properly seated. Then do the trick with a playing card or business card or whatever.

And FWIW I have Hayes and they NEVER make noise, EVER. The lbs just can't get them centered properly or the wheel is flexing (loose hub) or like FIDaho said some other suspension link is loose. The rear end flex is not the problem unless it's b/c of some contributing factor. I wonder if the mounts need faced, can't remember if that is done at the factory or not.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 06-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Young, Shawn Young
    Had the same problem . Dont really care for the Hayes that came with bike. the way I fixed: Loosen the brake caliper enough for it to be moved with a bit of pressure. Squeeze brake and hold for 20 sec or so. Let go of lever and carefully retighten caliper without moving it. Worked for me. Now I need to get a cup of Joe and wake up,

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?