mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Potential 2009 Yeti ASR 7 in mint condition for purchase

There is a local 2009 Yeti ASR 7 for sale with less than 100 miles, in basically brand new condition that I am very interested in. However I havent seen it in person, but I am suppose to meet with the guy in a few days to test ride. Price of the bike is 1500$. It is completely stock, with added seat dropper. I am 6ft. 185lbs and ride mostly XC trying to get into more DH stuff. I ride HT's and HT's singlespeeds so this will be a big change for me. A few questions/concerns.
    1.) Is this a good deal?
    2.) Areas for improvement?
    3.) Mildly concerned about the (in my mind) rediculous amounts of rear travel.
    4.) Any overall advice on first FS purchases would be sweet.

undercover brother
    That sounds like an outstanding deal if its legit. I am a recent addition to the yeti tribe and they are awesome bikes. I would definitely check it out. He is probably someone who drank the 29er or 650b kool aid and thinks that his 26" bike is now worthless.

undercover brother
    Oh and I was a recent convert from HTs and SS HTs. My next bike will by a HT SS, but believe me, a good FS bike will open up your riding like you couldn't believe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    He just sorta faded from cycling in general. Bought some really expensive new toys. Im super excited about seeing it/testing it. Ill send some pictures of it when Im out there. Any other thoughts from anyone more familiar with Yeti bikes?

mtbr member
    That's a sweet deal on a great bike, especially with low miles. Buy it. If you end up not riding burly trails and its too much travel for you, you can sell it for that price easy. Pinkbike has a great buy/sell section.

At your height, you should be on a large(didn't see the size mentioned).

Odds ate you will want to upgrade to a shorter stem and wider bars, vs the stock set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Another concern, im glad you brought it up MTT77. Its a medium frame. My exact measurements are 33 inseam, 5'11. How big of an issue is that going to cause? What kind of cockpit adjustments could be made? I'd hate to miss out on a deal because of a sizing issue that could potentially be maybe not fixed but as close to fixed as possible.

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure 5'11 would be a medium frame. Check yetis website

mtbr member

Potential 2009 Yeti ASR 7 in mint condition for purchase

It's a great bike. Just don't expect anywhere near the pedaling of your past bikes. It's not bad, but not XC bike comparison worthy. It eats up the chunk and likes to go fast. Plus it works with anything from a 160mm fork to 200mm for trail rides to shuttling. What rear shock does it have? It's a great bike for the price and has proven to be reliable over the years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Fox RP23 is the rear shock that comes on the bike. I really feel like it might be a bit too much. Could i potentially go for less travel? maybe down to 6inches instead of the 7 that the Fox RP23 has?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Potential 2009 Yeti ASR 7 in mint condition for purchase

Sounds like an outstanding deal assuming it has slx or x9 or better and a decent fork. Check it over though, you can be pretty sure it has more than 100 mi . Check around head tube, bottom bracket and other joints for cracking. Bring a chain gauge, if the chain is at 80 or 90 that's a good indicator it has more miles than promised. Not that it matters, if it has 500, or 1000, but its in good condition, that's still a great price.

If this is your first fs bike, this is an outstanding all mountain rig, but will feel on the soft side under hard hammering relative to your more efficient dw link / vpp designs, and will be heavy. If you're looking for an efficient climbing trail rig, this isn't it, this thing is built for some jumps and drops.

On factor in how rideable this bike feels to you (relative to your ht's) will be the rear shock: air shock with some sort of pro pedal will be closer to what you're used to. Coil shock will be plusher but less efficient in hard torquing climbs. But for both, it'll take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As I mentioned earlier I havent seen it in person yet, but I will on Tuesday for a test ride. He said there were no dings, cuts, or scratches on the bike. He rode it out on the trail a handful of times and neighborhood riding. This is all taken with a grain of salt, but it gives me a lot of confidence! I live in a relatively small town with a local club that is pretty hardcore. It was posted on our forums, so its not a craigslist or ebay type of deal.

mtbr member
    Good luck! Sounds like a sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just to give an update. Saw the bike in person today and it looks amazing. No scratches, dings, or scuff marks anywhere. LBS looked over it form top to bottom and everything is in top working order. Chain has about 10% wear or less. Talked him down to 1400$. Thoughts? Good buy? Did I score on this deal? Shimano XT brakes, SLX crank, XT FD and RD and seat dropper.

undercover brother
    Ha, yea I'd say that is an awesome deal. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    deal!
    buy it!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I have over double that into my 7 at shop cost with XT level components.. Granted I got all my stuff new, but still gives you an idea of how much of a killer deal you got!

Nice score and go out and enjoy your purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow, what a bargain! I looked at getting one here in oz. Let us know how it rides.