mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Possible ASR5C purchase.

I have a chance to purchase a very low time almost brand new ASR5C I really don't know much about these bikes and was wondering what I should be looking for such as frame issues, wearing at certain points that could lead to possible future failure etc.
    I've always rode aluminum frames so this carbon thing sort of scares me a bit.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Avoid it. Horrible company see the other thread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have been jonesing for one for about 3 years now, and about a month ago got a great deal on a used frameset. Look for cracks in the rear triangle near where the chainstays join into the lower suspension pivots. That's about the only area that would be suspect as far as I know.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post

^^^ seriously?

OP: I agree with BlownCivic, check the rear triangle well for an abuse or other obvious red flags. I know a few people on ASR5 carbons, they are great bikes, super light, the build weight on the carbon model can easily go under 24-25lb. A lot of people used to XC race on these before the really good 29er hard tails came out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an AL asr5. Sick bike. Have owned the following before the 5 and wouldn't trade my 5 for the world: el Guapo (great bike), Chumba XCL, blur 4x, Motolite, nomad (great bike but too much travel for me), el Kaboing, and others.

The 5 is perfect for those who don't need a 6 inch AM bike and don't want a 4 inch race bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post

Thanks Guys I'll try and check out the bike as close as I can and Shoal thanks for that informative post. Been riding an 06 575 with no issues at all bike is still going strong only a bit on the heavy side.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta_kilo View Post
    Thanks Guys I'll try and check out the bike as close as I can and Shoal thanks for that informative post. Been riding an 06 575 with no issues at all bike is still going strong only a bit on the heavy side.
    ASR5 has seen issues on chainstay/seatstay junctions and on head tubes. But I agree with BDKeg it is a great bike and great replacement for an 06 575. The 09 and newer 575 is a completely different ride than the one you have.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Possible ASR5C purchase.

Very good, light weight, stiff single pivot frame. I've ridden mine relatively hard as a 25 lb trail/light all mountain build with Haven components and it's held up to the punishment. I do 2-3 ft jumps and drops and medium rock garden riding on this bike, although for bigger stuff I leave it at home. I'm a 195 lb rider.

There is one guy with an active thread who's had multiple issues with his but he's an outlier, look at his thread and make sure you are getting the second generation rear triangle with reinforced caliper mount.

There are probably a couple other breakage threads since I have been watching (I am a 2011 model owner), but, on the balance the main asr5 thread has a large sample of happy owners with few complaints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Very good, light weight, stiff single pivot frame. I've ridden mine relatively hard as a 25 lb trail/light all mountain build with Haven components and it's held up to the punishment. I do 2-3 ft jumps and drops and medium rock garden riding on this bike, although for bigger stuff I leave it at home. I'm a 195 lb rider.

There is one guy with an active thread who's had multiple issues with his but he's an outlier, look at his thread and make sure you are getting the second generation rear triangle with reinforced caliper mount.

There are probably a couple other breakage threads since I have been watching (I am a 2011 model owner), but, on the balance the main asr5 thread has a large sample of happy owners with few complaints.

ddprocter,
    You and I are the same weight although I tend not to jump my bikes anymore then needed. At what year did Yeti do the reinforced caliper mount? This bike is either a 2012 or 2011 I still need to find out.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Possible ASR5C purchase.

Mine is a 2011 and it has it. But, jpvm's thread shows he got sent a different triangle much more recently. Here's a close up of mine:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Mine is a 2011 and it has it. But, jpvm's thread shows he got sent a different triangle much more recently. Here's a close up of mine:
    ddprocter,
    Cool thanks for the picture I'll check it out when I see the bike this week.

Fortes fortuna adiuvat