EDR

Pondering the future, and some 575 reflection...

I wonder if the 575 is just a few feet from the recycle bin over at Yeti. I have little doubt the new design is sound and with the new improvements such as internal cable guide, direct mount front der, tapered headtube, a 142mm axle option and seemingly beefier chainstays, there is clearly thought, time and money put into the latest revision. But still, if the new Switch design holds the test of (short) time I can see the single pivot bikes being phased out. I'm sure the 575 is the best selling bike for Yeti of all time, it seems to have brought them back into the mainstream market for xc/am riding back in '04 and it still holds true today, but not many manufacturers I know of, especially relatively small ones offer bikes with multiple suspension designs. I'll be sorry to see it go if that's the case. Such a versitile and fun ride, but time marches on and I think the dual link, mini link....whatever you call it SB will eventually dominate and push the long time modified single pivot line-up off the map.

Then again, I could be wrong.

In the mean time I anxiously await my '12 frameset. I loved my '05 575, love my '08 and I'm sure I'll feel the same way about the '12. I've often thought it's time to move on to something different...Knolly Endorphin kept me awake at night for weeks, Turner RFX was more than a gleam in the eye, Pivot Firebird had me checking the web for details and info when I should have been working..., but each time I got that feeling I went and rode my bike and was instantly reminded of what a perfect bike it is for me. Whether it's hashing through the chunk at break-neck speed down upper Porcupine Rim, pushing up Amasa Back for 90 minutes, climbing rediculous stair steps or dropping big roll offs on National in Phoenix, landing 3 foot drops to flat, or cruising the desert xc trails at Hawes in Mesa or doing a Yeti only ride with the late AnthonyS. out at Pass Mountain, they did it all with ease.

I've never weighed any of my Yeti's. Mine is not the lightest, and that's by design. It could be 29.5lbs, it could be 32lbs...I have no idea. The lbs has a scale hanging from the wall and when they put the new one all together and ask if I want to weigh the bike the answer will be a resounding "no thanks". I don't begrudge anyone who fusses over weight or is just curious about their bike but I don't need to know. I don't want to know. It just doesn't matter. I love it the way it is. Light enough and heavy enough all at the same time.

Enough gushing and reminiscing. It's been a great 7 years with my 575's and it looks like it will be a few more at least. Time to ride.

Out with the "old"...

...in with the new!

Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-18-2012 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    PM sent.
    In short, I don't think the 575 wins the SB on even a single criteria. Open the RP23 to 0 position and it will ride down the chunk plusher than the 575. Keep it on 1 and you get that "sportier" feel. I never go to position 2 or lock the RP23 god forbid. The bike is as efficient as you dream.
    Just FYI I did demo a 25th aniversary 575, so I don't only compare to my 2006.
    I did demo some nice bikes in recent years but the SB overdo all.

EDR
    I'm passing on the SB for now. I'll let the dust settle and let the kinks to surface and the price to drop. Next frame maybe. Maybe even next year.

mtbr member
    Not going to make any predictions, but some thoughts:

the 575 is considerably lighter than the SB66. It's a proven design, proven designs are retired all the time, but the engineering is essentally done, where on the SB line, that's absoloutly not the case. I can see Yeti keeping the ASR platform around at least as a budget option.

Santa Cruz has vpp and a couple single pivot designs, mostly the less expensive bikes. Iron horse did something similar before they went under, and I believe Rocky had 3 different designs in production at once. Yeti also have had several 303 designs in production concurrent with the ASR. It's not all that common, but it's certainly not unpresendeted for smaller companies to have several designs at once.
    The ASR 5 is a fairly new bike, with the old design. I think that probably indicates something about the plans for the design; would they have invested in the engineering only to sell a bike for what, 3-4 years? On the other hand, we haven't seen a 29er ASR, and I'm guessing we never will. 5 years ago we were all going to be riding 29ers by now, so said "everyone".

On the other hand, I don't see the market for single pivots expanding in years to come. And we all know in buisness, if you aren't growing, you're shrinking. So there's that. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't yet been a carbon 575; that might say something.

It seems like the answer to this kind of lies in how long the SB has been in the works; designing the 5 and re-designing the 575 with the SB on the horizon seems like a waste if they were planning on phasing it out.

mtbr member
    I think it boils down to the simple question of is it making money for the company. The answer is yes (it's their best seller), so until that changes, it'll be around.

My single pivot Asr5c rides as well as my Sb.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

It seems like the answer to this kind of lies in how long the SB has been in the works; designing the 5 and re-designing the 575 with the SB on the horizon seems like a waste if they were planning on phasing it out.
    We tend to think that good and succesful companies have long range plans they excute on. While this may be true in some or many cases, it is not always true. Competition, market trends and taking on new opportunities are other drivers that may take a role. Just a few years back, 29rs were called "clown bikes" by Yeti's management but this has changed very fast.
    I thought the 575 can stay as a lower cost alternative in the line and this maybe the case. For now it is sure "the proven design" in the line but this will not prevent many from taking the "risk" and follow the hype (it's for real). Weight of the SB66 can not be a factor since we peddal bikes and not cary them and the SB is so much nicer to pedal everywhere. Just my 2

mtbr member
    You're absolutely right, greenbonty; a big part of success is seeing an opportunity and jumping on it. That's kind of what I was asking, the recent history of Yeti's bikes indicates, to me, either that they didn't have the SB design in the works a couple years ago, or they did but weren't planning on getting rid of the ASR design. Contrast that with the ASX design, for example; that stagnated a while before they got rid of it, it seems clear to me they were planning on abandoning it long before they stopped making the bike.

Right or wrong, most of us care about weight to some degree, and the SB66 frame weighs a pound more than the 575, and costs $500 more. That's not trivial to some people.

It just seems to me like keeping the current 575 in production is going to be fairly inexpensive compared to the SB, since the kinks are worked out of the asr design, and they aren't on the SB; it looks like there's already been an issue with bearings, right? And no doubt there are going to be more. The '12 575 being less expensive than it was in '11 seems to support that.

I already put a deposit on 66c, so I'm buying into it too. Just saying, I don't think it's time to start stockpiling 575s yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Isn't that pic of the "new a '11 not a '12?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy View Post
    Isn't that pic of the "new a '11 not a '12?
    yes

Who is John Galt?
    Your new ride looks like it's been on steroids next to that 05 model! I don't see the 575 going anywhere, case in point, they still sell the sh•• out of the ARC.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You'll love it, I noticed a massive difference between my 09 and '11.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    ...doing a Yeti only ride with the late AnthonyS. out at Pass Mountain...
    That was truly one of the best days ever, a ride I will never forget and a chance to hang with some really cool guys. Hope you're doing well, Jamie! Bummer to hear about your 575, but sounds like you're on the way to getting it sorted out. Drop me a PM sometime, we should get together for another Pass ride!

EDR
    most of us care about weight to some degree, and the SB66 frame weighs a pound more than the 575,
    Not totally sure but I think the new 575 is listed at 7lbs, the 66 at 7.5lbs. The lbs did throw a 66 on the scale for me and it came in at just under 8lbs with the rp23, but I think it was an XL, I know it was at least a LG frame. Anyhow Joules, your point is valid, the 66 is heavier. Biut that's a pro for some, not a con. Although much fun in the chunk the 575 (the older models I'm used to) do bounce around a bit. They were 6lb 6'' bikes after all. Still tons of fun on everything I've ever thrown at it. But for a long time I've been wishing for a little more stout ride. Hence the Endorphin dreams a while back.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy View Post
    That was truly one of the best days ever, a ride I will never forget and a chance to hang with some really cool guys. Hope you're doing well, Jamie! Bummer to hear about your 575, but sounds like you're on the way to getting it sorted out. Drop me a PM sometime, we should get together for another Pass ride!
    That was fun. Anthony was a fantastic rider in addition to being a great guy. Fun times for sure. I remember Eyescream rode that trail on the Seven that Anthony brought along, long before it ever came to the general public. It had a single chainstay IIRC.

When I get my bike, we'll set up a Pass Mtn ride again, that trail seems to just eat bikes up.

Later.

mtbr member
    Not totally sure but I think the new 575 is listed at 7lbs, the 66 at 7.5lbs. The lbs did throw a 66 on the scale for me and it came in at just under 8lbs with the rp23, but I think it was an XL, I know it was at least a LG frame. Anyhow Joules, your point is valid, the 66 is heavier. Biut that's a pro for some, not a con. Although much fun in the chunk the 575 (the older models I'm used to) do bounce around a bit. They were 6lb 6'' bikes after all. Still tons of fun on everything I've ever thrown at it. But for a long time I've been wishing for a little more stout ride. Hence the Endorphin dreams a while back.
    You are getting there Jamie

Just A Mountain Biker.
    rode that trail on the Seven that Anthony brought along, long before it ever came to the general public. It had a single chainstay IIRC.

Nah, it had the conventional chainstay that eventually made it into production. It was a blast to ride that day, Anthony calling me and asking me if I wanted to ride one was such a kick. I did get to see the 1-sided chainstay proto the following week when I was in Golden, and he gave me a personal factory tour. Sadly, he passed away 3 months later and that was the last time I saw or got to talk to him.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy View Post

Nah, it had the conventional chainstay that eventually made it into production. It was a blast to ride that day, Anthony calling me and asking me if I wanted to ride one was such a kick. I did get to see the 1-sided chainstay proto the following week when I was in Golden, and he gave me a personal factory tour. Sadly, he passed away 3 months later and that was the last time I saw or got to talk to him.
    Hmmm...... eyescream? You're hard to follow, haha.

Despite my OP I've really got "that feeling" for the new 66, just like I did with the 575 way back when. I think I've been ready for a different type of ride for a while but not willing to take the plunge with another manufacturer. Now that the SB design is here I have the best of both worlds laid out in front of me. Just gotta figure out how to swing it. Even if it's not worlds above what I ride now it will be different. I think I need that to rekindle the stoke

The only real bummer is no anodized offering. Yeti are you listening???? Ano rocks (you know that already) and I'd gladly pay 50 bucks more for the finish. Oh well, the '12 575's are all painted right now as well.
    Later.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I think I need that to rekindle the stoke
    I finally got mine back after 2 years of nothingness - sometimes tragedy has bizarre effects on things.

El Terremoto Shock - RP23 & HV Can?

Be well, let me know when you're ready to get out and ride -