MTBR Demi-God

Planning to Buy 2010 ASR 5 Alloy Frame

Hi all,

I have been sporting a basic Trek 4900 hardtail since 2006. I have upgraded parts as they have broken, and now its only the frame that's stock.

I am itching to get into a full suspension bike, but buying a full Yeti bike is outside of my budget. I found a ASR 5 Alloy frame on sale for $1246 bucks... and I am thinking of pulling the trigger on it.

However, a quick search reveals that the ASR 5 had major issues with the rear triangle cracking- does that sound right to you guys? Maybe it is an issue for the carbon versions, but I'm going for the alloy frame.

Here are some of the components that I will be transferring over from my old bike:
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT 770 derailleur mated to Shimano XTR 970 shifters (9 speed)
    Crankset: Shimano LX 585 (Cannot wait for this to break so that I can upgrade)
    Brakes: Hope M4 front, X2 in the rear
    Wheels: WTB Frequency i23 laced to Hope Pro 2 QR hubs (26")
    Fork: RockShox Reba RLT 120mm (1 1/8 straight tube)

My concern is that the fork is a straight tube, but the Yeti frame has tapered head tube. Any ideas of how to make that work?

Please let me know if I need to consider anything more to swap out my old, tired frame for this new one. Thanks!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The alloy ASR-5 has an alloy front triangle and carbon rear. Carbon rear required since a pivot point was eliminated and the carbon stays flex instead. Lots of Bikes out there and not that many reported issues; mainly with the first generation as far as I can tell. I have the Alloy and ride in very rocky places where I wish I had a full alloy frame, but so far so good.

You need to check your rear brake line will be long enough, the rear wheel you have matches the dropouts (presumably QR, but could be X12), your front mech will fit, the seat post will fit (30.9 I think). There are headsets made to solve your tapered head tube issue.

Good luck; you'll love the ride if you get it.

mtbr member
    1200 seems pretty spendy for a asr frame considering they were blowing them out last year for 700. Also, you could get a SB66C frame for 1800.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MTBR Demi-God
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    1200 seems pretty spendy for a asr frame considering they were blowing them out last year for 700. Also, you could get a SB66C frame for 1800.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Well, if the ASR5 was going for 700 bucks, then I'm a sucker for paying over 1200 now. Can you tell me where I can find the SB66C frame for 1800 bucks? Having a carbon frame would be lovely, but I never thought I could get a decent one for less than 2k.

Also, I have heard that SB66 needs at least a 140mm fork. Would my existing 120mm fork be fine, or would it totally throw the geometry off?

Thanks again.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."