mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Pivot maintenance

I'm trying to track down an annoying creak in my 2007 575. I took apart the rear triangle, cleaned all the pivots and I'm ready to reassemble. Do I put lubrication on the pivots??

The Yeti manual says to lightly grease the main pivot but does not say anything about the others.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had to send my fork back because my fox Fork was the culprit. You may want to check that too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Chasing down a creak on my ASR5C last year I repacked all the bearings/pivots. Did help. Also check the usual culprits - chainring bolts, derailleur hanger, BB. Also give your frame a once over looking for cracks. It's amazing how easy it is to overlook a small crack, and the noises they can lead to. I found a crack on my 5C swingarm last year - who knows how long it had been there.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    +1 on checking for cracks. Also make sure the shock pivots are in good shape. Big source of creaks.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for all the heads up. Did the BB, didn't think to check crank bolts. I'll give that a try.

What about lubricating pivots for re assembly??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I lubricate the all pivots on both of my 575's. One is a 2007 the other 2009. I also do that on all the bikes that I rebuild. It is just good insurance against metal to metal creaking.

mtbr member
    I too lube everything on my 575 except for the DW bushings in the rear shock. I clean the DW and reducers soap and water. Trying to keep as much dirt out as possible.

The noise that took me the longest to find was coming from between the frame and rear D hanger. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back together.

Good luck finding a noise is a process and in my case I usually get about 3 quite rides before the process starts again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiketodd View Post

The noise that took me the longest to find was coming from between the frame and rear D hanger. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back together.

X2, This is what mine was on my older 575. Took it off, cleaned it, greased it and voila! no creak.
    Now I do it every few months on my ASR-7
    Good luck.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great ideas, thanks