mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Pivot Maintenance for 575?

Hi all...

I've been the happy owner of a used 575 for about a week now. The first couple rides were tough, as the drivetrain was skipping all over the place, but I replaced the cassette (as the chain and chainrings were new) and now the drivetrain runs smoothly. Everything else on the bike is mostly blingy.

But, there is a bit of sound coming from the main pivot area. Doesn't sound like a creak, (like metal to metal), but it certainly isn't quiet. I figured, as the bike was not mine, I might as well make sure that the main pivot is well packed with grease and put together correctly.

Does anyone have any tips (or resources) for rebuilding and maintaining the main pivot? Thanks.

I might as well add: There is also some noise coming from the almost-new Vanilla R fork. I'm going over to the shocks thread to ask over there.

mtbr member
    I had sth similar with my ASX, two times actually. Each time I thought that creaking is comming from BB or main pivot, but the first time it was the ratelink-dogbone-shock connection, the second time it was the rear dropouts so you might check them too.
    Passion beyond reason!

trail "cleaner"

when do you hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    Hi all...

I've been the happy owner of a used 575 for about a week now. The first couple rides were tough, as the drivetrain was skipping all over the place, but I replaced the cassette (as the chain and chainrings were new) and now the drivetrain runs smoothly. Everything else on the bike is mostly blingy.

But, there is a bit of sound coming from the main pivot area. Doesn't sound like a creak, (like metal to metal), but it certainly isn't quiet. I figured, as the bike was not mine, I might as well make sure that the main pivot is well packed with grease and put together correctly.

Does anyone have any tips (or resources) for rebuilding and maintaining the main pivot? Thanks.

I might as well add: There is also some noise coming from the almost-new Vanilla R fork. I'm going over to the shocks thread to ask over there.
    If you hear it during out of the saddle hammering, most likely to be your main pivot/BB and or rear wheel not securely fastened. Easy to service main pivot.

1. Remove driveside crank.
    2. Use 6 and 5mm allen head wrenches to remove bolts on main pivot.
    3. once bolts are out, you might need a deep socket that is just a bit smaller that the diameter of the 'slug' in your main pivot and using a soft blow hammer, tap the slug out. Clean/regrease/reassemble using blue lock tite on the 5/6mm bolts. Tighten to spec.
    4. If all else fails, use this. http://www.yeticycles.com/Support/Su...semblyInst.pdf
    No dabs allowed!

EDR
    Any creaking/knocking sounds I have had on my 575 (at the bottom of the frame area) turned out to be the BB. But I also had just about every bolt in the suspension system come loose when I first got my bike, loctite those bolts...