mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Pinch flats on your Minions?

Posting to Yeti since most the 575 Enduros come with the Maxxis Minion ST. Second ride on my new 575 and I got a pinch flat @35 PSI. I've ridden this trail 10-15 times on my Jamis XLT 2.0 with crappy light Hutchinson tires @30 PSI and maybe pinch flatted once. This was the first time i had to change the tube on the trail. (other time was a slow leak) I figured these big heavy Minions would hang a bit better. Was it a fluke?

Who is John Galt?
    I don't ride Minnions but I've had 3 or 4 pinches on my Nevegals after riding for years without a flat. I'm running a little more air now, it's a trade off between traction and flats.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    I've only had 5 flats ever with my Minions. All of them were pinch flats. Three of them were in one day (at Diablo FR park). I run them as soft as I can get away with, usually around 30-35 psi, but occasionally a hard hit or sharp edge comes along and bam!, flat. I would still say they are much more flat resistant than any other tire I have ever used.

mtbr member
    i have the maxxis minions on my 575. first "tube" tires/wheels i've ridden since 2003.

and, i've gotten 2 flats since july/august (when i got my 575). i run them at 35 psi.

i'm going back to UST wheels with continentals. i can run lower pressures and not have the pinch flat problem. i thought those minions were pretty tough (they're heavy as hell). but, maybe they have a tendency to pitch flat at pressures that aren't low at all.

Three sheets to the wind
    Never had a flat on my Minions which are both 2.7's, 20 in the rear and 22 in the front