mtbr member
    May 2006

Pimp my Kokopelli.

I just picked an '03 Koko and I'm interested in doing a few upgrades. I think that the first item will be some new pedals. I was thinking I'd go with the EggBeater Sl's. The next order of business will be some lighter rims. The bike came with Bontrager Select rims and hubs. It's my impression that the Chris King hubs are one of the best, but what would be the best rim set-up for a weight concious xc rider?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by egibson
    I just picked an '03 Koko and I'm interested in doing a few upgrades. I think that the first item will be some new pedals. I was thinking I'd go with the EggBeater Sl's. The next order of business will be some lighter rims. The bike came with Bontrager Select rims and hubs. It's my impression that the Chris King hubs are one of the best, but what would be the best rim set-up for a weight concious xc rider?
    CK Hubs are typically regarded as one of the best hubs, but also probably the most expensive.

For rims, you could look at Stans Olympic Disc system. I've never used them, but I've seen a few sets built up that were crazy light. I had a set of WTB Laserdisc Lites laced to Velocity VXC that was under 1600g for the set, which was quite light to me. I'd also consider DT4.1s. It depends on if your priority is having the ultimate in light weight (Stans) or a good balance of light and strength (DT 4.1).

I love my Egg Sls, even put them on my road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have you considered a Mavic wheelset, they are light, strong and look very trick. The Crossrides are amazing value for money.

Chaser

mtbr member
    May 2006

Crossrides

Those rims look pretty sweet. 179 for a pair? That's pretty good. Is 1,060grams light for a rear wheel w/out the cassette?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, if you take a look at the Crossmax SL I think you will find that there is only about 100g difference but the price is in the stratosphere.

Chaser

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So I just went to the Bontrager web site to get the specs on my wheel set. They calim that the fron wheel is only 780grams and the rear is 1,045 grams... that seems pretty good to me. My rear wheel just feels heavy to me...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, Bonty wheels are pretty light. Around 1000g for a rear is about normal for 'light' wheels.
    Consider your choice of tires/tubes as this can have a dramatic effect on the weight and feel of a wheel.
    My favorite light tires at the moment are Schwalbe Nobby Nic at about 500g. even the 2.25version is only 570g and you can run it as low as 30psi.
    Tubeless options always comes up heavier and it's a pain to fix them on the trail so I would avoid them. [I used them for a while but got sick of trying to fix the punctures]

Chaser.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hmm... it looks like I'm doing pretty well then. I think i'll stick with the set up I have for right now. You answered next question regarding tubless tires. I need to get my bike onto a scale to see exactly where I'm at right now. I love the bike, don't get me wrong. It's actually by far the best bike I've owned... do you have any idea of the frame/rear shock weight?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would think you are looking at about 5.5 lbs with shock.

Signing off for cosmic dreams.

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have an 03 Koko - you're going to love it. You can certainly save weight on the wheels, but it will cost you. Take a look at Hope XC hubs if want a nice hub for a little less $$$. American Classic makes some really light hubs, but probably not as rugged.

Unfortunately, the stock Koko disc build kit is pretty well balanced. I would upgrade the headset to a Chris King if you ride in muddy conditions. Mine lasted less than 6 months in the Georgia clay mud. The crankset/BB is also a good candidate for an upgrade to an outboard BB model. You should be able to reach 26 lbs without trying too hard, and that's probably good enough for most XC applications.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Koko frame weight

Hello,

Im an Koko lover, too .

The Koko frame in size L weights exactly 2788grams incl. Fox Float L shock and rear canti studs (without seat clamp and aheadset).

Not as lights as Yeti says , but a good weight.

My Koko is now at 24.51 pounds.

The weight list:

My Koko (older pic):

mtbr member
    May 2006
    24.51 Lbs is very light. I'll be cool with a 26lb full suspension xc bike. That's a far cry from the bike I rode that got me into Mtn Biking. I had a Trek Y-3 with a Indy C fork, and toe clips. You can guess at the weight of that, and with the single pivot-unified rear triangle... it wasn't the best performing bike ever. But I rode it like it was. That bike took me places that I thought I could never reach. I can't wait to see where my Yeti takes me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh yeah, and what's an outboard BB?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Oh yeah, and what's an outboard BB?
    Many new cranks have bottom bracket cups that are on the outside of the bottom bracket shell. Basically they just have a hollow tube running through the bb shell.

Easier to see what I'm talking about than to explain...

Here is an image that IntenTurner just posted. Look at the non-drive side pedal, the silver thing you see outside the bb shell is a outboard bb cup.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah... I see that. What's the idea behind that? What are the advantages?

Uncle

24.5 lbs is really light

I'm a Koko rider too, mine comes in around 27 lbs, but that's with a coil fork (plushie Fox Vanilla) and brass nips on the wheels.

Light wheels are nice, but keep durability in mind as well. I say this because if this is your first big bike investment in some time, then you might not be working with the budget that lots of other are. If you're making six figures and plan on replacing wheels regularly, then uberlight would be a ton of fun (somehow that makes sense, right?) I'm running Hadley hubs & Mavic disc M317s, laced with dt double butted spokes & brass nipples. Under 1800 gms -- not bad for brass nipples. Rock solid too for my 185 lb rider weight.

Also, lightweight tires can save a bunch, but if they don't grip, they're not good for anything. Consider your riding style & your local terrain when selecting rubber. You can check in on this site in your regional forum for tire preference for your area. I've steered away from the ~550 gm tires lately, opting for the bite & low rolling resistance of the WTB Mutano 2.24 race. It's not the lightest, but feels confident on the loose descents in my neck (SF Bay trails).

As for the cranks? You're not going to save too much weight there if you already have 3 alloy chain rings -- even the 22T ring in steel doesn't weigh much more than one in alloy. I suggest wearing that stuff out first & then go bling on the cranks. Use your stock swag for a while as you get used to the rig & ride; save the weight reduction upgrades for when stuff wears out.

Let's see some pics, eh?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah... you're right. My bike is pretty sweet as is. I'd also rather sacrifice weight for durablity. I mean I used to ride with like 35lb bike with no complaints. You're from the BayArea? Me too... I did most of my riding on Mt Diablo. I love that place. I'll have some pictures up soon...

Uncle
    I grew up riding to and at Mitchell Canyon Road & Park (Diablo foothills). BMXing at ABC (in the orchard next to ABC Liquors)? Yup, I loved that place. Bought my first new frameset from Clayton Bikes in 1983 -- PK Ripper in black with gold lettering. Love to get that one back...

These days, I roll 26" wheels in the Oakland & Marin hills mostly, but venture to Tahoe & Oregon occasionally. Where are you riding these days?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I grew up riding BMX in Walnut Creek... we had this spot called Tweed's Yard in our neighbor hood. It was this dried out creek bed that became a dirt park. We also had Shell Ridge in the foot hills. That place was awesome back in the day until it became too popular and they closed, re-routed, and just tamed the place out in general. Yeah... that place was awesome as kid. I've moved to Reno, and that's where I do my riding now. Marin is nice though... Mt Tam.

Uncle

PM me with trail recommendations for the Reno area...

I've ridden the Flume, and want to try coming down from Mt. Rose sometime, but that's the closest trail to Reno I've ridden. Must be a prime spot though, I'd expect that especially to be the case in the foot hills. Every time I come over 80, I'm looking around the foothills for signs of mtbing.

Did you ever ride the jumps over by the BART tracks, not far from the WC/Concord border? Legend says that it was built by Bob Medrano, but I had no way to confirm this as a pre-internet 12 year old. Rode their once and was awed by the distance between the doubles; so far apart I could speedjump the first and pedal a few times before reaching the second.

MOO
    mtbr member
    I have a 04 Koko and am in the process of building a new wheel set. Chris king disc hubs DT 4.1d, DT competion spokes and nipples. I could build them lighter with revolution spokes but I prefer the extra strength. The bike before the new wheels weighs 11.85kg and will get lighter when I go tubless I expect it to get down to about 11.5 kg.

What can I say, you gotta love this bike!!!

MOO
    mtbr member
    I changed from the old XT to the new XT crankset recently, there is a big diffrence. the outboard bb makes for a wider base and bigger bearings. the bike is a lot stiffer when peddling hard. Depending on the crankset the chainline is not always the same. I installed the spacer on the non drive side, shimano says other side, and the chainline is perfect, (thanks Yetifan). I have it for about 2 months now and the bearings are not doing to well, I will replace them with enduro bb bearings when they die.

Tumbleweed14
    I grew up riding BMX in Walnut Creek... we had this spot called Tweed's Yard in our neighbor hood. It was this dried out creek bed that became a dirt park. We also had Shell Ridge in the foot hills. That place was awesome back in the day until it became too popular and they closed, re-routed, and just tamed the place out in general. Yeah... that place was awesome as kid. I've moved to Reno, and that's where I do my riding now. Marin is nice though... Mt Tam.
    Sweet. I spent several years in Pleasant hill and rode out my back door up Briones (sp). I enjoyed that riding a lot but wished for more singletrack. I spent 7 years in Oregon where I learned to ride. You could be all day on a popular trail and maybe see 1 or 2 groups. Now am in Ohio, much uhh.... different. I dream of the west daily and can't wait to get back.

Some of the most fun I have had is in the Reno area. Great trails!