Thread: Pike on ASR 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Pike on ASR 5

Anyone tried a 150mm Pike on an ASR 5?

Or any (unlikely) experience of using the 650b version (for future proofing reasons?

any comments / experiences gratefully received - thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm waiting for RS to get with it and release a 140mm version. I think a 150 will be pushing it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yup - that would be perfect

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just put one on yesterday. It's more raked out than the Float 32, but is worlds better. A knee injury is keeping me from the trails at the moment, but I imagine that the climbs will be a little more "wandery," while the descents will be a lot more stable.

Not sure on the new headtube angle, but I think 66*.

I believe it has 3mm more offset than the float and is roughly 2cm taller axle-crown. The 650b fork is about 3cm taller. I read that you can convert a 26" pike to 650b by replacing the lowers. My 26" wheel doesn't have much tire clearance with a 2.5 Minion DHF mounted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rck, how do you know its worlds better if you haven't ridden it yet?

The pike does look like an awesome fork though. Wanting to replace my Lyrik with it. As soon as they have a 140 I'm tossing it on the ASR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've ridden it around the block a few times. It's stiffer, doesn't blow through its travel when bunny-hopping, no excessive brake dive, has better small bump sensitivity, comes with spacers to increase the "ramp" of the fork, and is only slightly heavier.

On my Fox, the CTD dial would always fall to "descend" on its own. Just turning the knob on the Pike let me know it was better, took much more effort, solid, positive "click," not mushy like the Fox.

You might want to do some research, you may be able to lower it to 140mm off the bat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll look into lowering it. From the research that I've done so far, it looked like you need a new air spring to drop from 160 to 150, can't just add reducers like other RS forks.

Good to hear you like it.

mtbr member
    rck18,

Can you keep us posted on how this is going. I'm quite interested. Seems like a smart way to get a Pike (which seems to be all the rage) and future-proofing your new fork purchase as well.
    Just to conform: your using a 150mm 650b Pike fork? So essentially a 160mm 26 fork.
    Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    150mm 26". The 650b version has more offset and is taller, which will raise the bb and rake out the bike even more. A 150mm is about as slack as I want to go on this bike, and I was only comfortable with that because I don't have much of an issue keeping the front end in check during climbs. A taller fork is approaching DH angles on a 5" bike, and I think it would screw up a nice-handling bike.

You can likely convert to 650b with a swap of the lowers. I don't plan on going 650b anytime soon, as I don't think I'll notice any increased performance from a barely larger, heavier rim, but I like being able to make it work if this fork lasts until the market eliminates 26" trailbikes or I have a change if heart.

Racing results keep proving that the rider is more important than the parts on a bike, even at the elite level.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    they do make all the way down to a 130 air spring for the pike fork. I looked into one, but decided id rather spend my $$ on other parts. It might still happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Woah, woah, woah stop the clock. Droptop, you sure that they make a 130mm solo air spring for this fork? If that is true I might be selling a Titus El Guapo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    just double checked- it was the revelation that they make all the way down to a 100mm kit for. looks like only 150 or 160 for the pike for now. lets hope a 140 or a 130 is released soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dude, you suck ass! I kid, but seriously you just got my hopes up and then dumped all over them.

Hoping and wishing for a Pike in a 140.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any further info to report on running the new 26" RS Pike on an ASR5C?

Sorely tempted to try it out. Just wondered what my Fox 32 Float 140 CTD '13 fork axle-to-crown is?? The Pike 150 is 532mm.

Also wondering whether RS will be releasing 140 internals for the Pike??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK everyone, I "think" I have some good news. I was researching the 2013/2014 solo air forks to see about lowering travel and it looks like the new solo air springs are universal across wheel sizes for a given fork model and length of travel. For example, the 26/27.5/29 inch Revelations all share the same solo air spring for their respective travel. I have not been able to find information specific to the Pike but I'm hoping it is the same for that fork. See the link for the Revelation air springs, below.

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Solo Air Spring Kits

Since the 29" Pike comes in 140mm travel option I hope that we can get a 140mm travel air spring for it. Someone will have to call RS to confirm.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hope so @mnigro, hope so. Love the ASR5 but feel a little let down by the 32 Float CTDs and would like some sturdier forks to handle the speeds and terrain the bike hits without compromising the geometry and handling.

May have to take a punt and go for the Pike 150s

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    May not be what you are looking for, but I am thinking about putting either an XFusion Slant 140, or a Manitou Mattoc 140 on my ASR5C for just that reason.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the 2014 fox 32 set at 130 and love them when they work, hate them when they need service. so far, it seems the lowers need to be dropped every three months and float fluid added. Running the kashima 32's with trail adjust, and they are always in decend mode- 80-85 psi.

Odds are I will be getting a slant or sweep for them if I decide to sell, I swap forks between bikes and I am building up a 650b custom steel hard tail with geometry similar to the yeti (long top tube, 68 degree HTA with a 120 fork, capable up to 140). could probably get by fine with a velvet, but why not go big!

aka 'Grover'
    Rockshox advertise 26/27.5 Pike as 150 or 160, 29 as 140 or 150. These are purely the configurations that you can buy them as a complete fork. You can however buy the 140 air spring aftermarket and put it in your 26/27.5 Pike. SRAM Dealer Service Direct put one in a Pike last week for a customers 27.5 Santa Cruz SoloC (5010c).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just an update to the thread.

I'm still running the fork, and I love it. It suits the bike well. I recently won a Super D race on the bike. The only potential issue is a little wander on the climbs, but it's easy to keep pointed straight. The fork definitely outclasses the shock on the rough stuff to the point where I think a 6" frame would be a little quicker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    id love to see the pike up front with a CCBD on the rear endů but then you might be getting out of the realm this bike was designed for!

I am currently loving my yeti set up with a 130mm fox 32 and running ~30% sag, with the smallest air can spacer in the back. Its pretty rocky out here, and on the downs i can feel the fork getting overwhelmed. I might be upgrading to something with bigger stanchions, but the fox is so plush if you keep up with the service! (bike still pedals well with 30% sag, I'm using it for 15-25 mile rides in pretty chunky terrain)