mtbr member

Paint peeling off 575

Anyone else have large pieces of paint flake off their Alu. frame Yeits?
    The shock mount is almost bare...
    Not sure if this is simply a paint quality issue, or the symptom of something else.
    I noticed that not long after getting the bike, the paint around the headtube badge was bubbling a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What are you washing your bike with?

I've seen this before on the bottle bolts and around the shock mountings and its apparently galvanic corrosion (where two different metals interface and get/stay wet). A cheap soap solution and not one of the specific bike wash detergents can accelerate this as it essentially provides salts that set up the galvanic cell.
    Also Sweat dripping can run down onto your shock mounts... once again providing the salts for the galvanic cell... so at least rinse it off after your ride imo.

Personally I regularly grease up my bottle bolts and shock mountings to help prevent galvanic corrosion at these different metal interfaces. Never thought about the badge.. but I've never seen it there before which suggests it's possibly the bike wash soap your using and/or your not rinsing it off properly?.

So my tips are, use a good quality bike specific detergent, rinse off very thoroughly, dry your bike and if possible put your bike somewhere warm to help drying. You could use one of the water expelling bike sprays? but I don't. Use grease to help keep out the water and also form a barrier between the two different metals and regularly replace it.

I do shock mountings to frame, bottle cage bolts, bottom bracket. I've considered replacing my bottle cage bolts (I don't use bottle cages) with 3D printed plastic ones but not got round to it yet as plastic/metal interface obviously can't undergo galvanic corrosion.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Pics??

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Pics??
    Paint peeling off 575-20150718_132346_resized.jpgPaint peeling off 575-20150718_131921_resized.jpg

LCW
    mtbr member
    Yikes - I rode my 575 for 3 years (2011 model) and never had any paint flake off. Mine is white - still have the frame although it's no longer built up as I swapped the parts to an SB66 frame. The paint on the 575 seemed tougher than what I'm seeing on the SB66.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following