Thread: Paging Jessep

Baby Bear is in the house

New question here. Paging Jessep

I noticed you have Shimano Dual Controls on your 575. May I ask how you're liking them? Have you tried other shifter systems [i.e. SRAM Impulse triggers], and if so, what made you go with the DCs?
    What sort of trails do you ride?

Another thing, how are you liking the Pike on your 575 as well? Which Pike is that? If it has U-Turn, do you find yourself using it often?

TIA

Israel
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Salad Days
    Jesse is my twin brother, so I will speak for him.

He has gotten used to the dual control levers but doesn't think they are better. He has not used sram triggers, but likes shimano rapidfire.

He rides rooty and rocky east coast trails because he is a fool and moved to the east coast from montana.

He has a pike 454 air uturn and thinks it is the bee's knees. I don't know how often he uses the uturn. I have a pike team from last year with coil uturn and I use it all the time, whenever I'm going up something steep enough to be hard in the granny gear.

I take no responsability if I am completely wrong.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    He rides rooty and rocky east coast trails because he is a fool and moved to the east coast from montana.
    Now there is a story I'd be interested in. Usually it is the other way around.

Dude...

Pretty Close Jparker

So,

I do like dual control, sort of becomes second nature after a while. Of course any other shifting system does too. The one thing that sticks out is that I can keep my thumb wrapped around the handlebar at all times. Good when shifting over rough terrain. I havn't tried SRAM before, but plan on it in the future for better mud performance. So yes, I like it, but wouldn't swear by it or anything drastic like that.

I use the U-turn quite a bit on steep climbs, the yeti likes to squat and lift the nose otherwise. The fork is great, much better than the maverick sc32, minute 1, psylo, and judy sl I have used in the past. Wicked stiff, great damping, reasonably light. Probably keep it for a long time.

I moved to CT for graduate school, I don't plan on, nor have I ever planned on staying. That would be foolish.

-Jesse

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    I noticed you have Shimano Dual Controls on your 575. May I ask how you're liking them? Have you tried other shifter systems [i.e. SRAM Impulse triggers], and if so, what made you go with the DCs?
    What sort of trails do you ride?

Another thing, how are you liking the Pike on your 575 as well? Which Pike is that? If it has U-Turn, do you find yourself using it often?

TIA

Israel
    I'll chim in just for some more input.

I have dual control on a road bike, have ridden it on a mountain bike for a short time, and now have SRAM on my 575. It took me a bit to get used to the push/push of the SRAM, but I really like it now. I get really crisp, always accurate shifts with the SRAM stuff. My Shimano stuff was always pretty good, but I never have a mis-shift with the SRAM stuff at all. I can't even remember the last time I adjusted it.

And as for the Pike....
    It is the best fork I've found thus far. I have a 454 Air Uturn, and like Jessep, I use it quite a bit. I do a lot of lunch dirt road climbs up the canyons here in Boulder, so I smash the fork into 110mm mode to do climbs. Since I've gotten a shorter stem with no rise, I find that I can climb really well with the fork at 140mm mode on rough, technical climbs, but it climbs just as well reduced IMO.

Baby Bear is in the house

thanks... and more

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep
    So,

IThe one thing that sticks out is that I can keep my thumb wrapped around the handlebar at all times. Good when shifting over rough terrain.
    -Jesse
    Thanks for the input. How do you shift in situations like that, with just one finger or two [index+middle]?

I'm thinking of going DC on my next bike build [coming from Gripshift].
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Dude...
    Thanks for the input. How do you shift in situations like that, with just one finger or two [index+middle]?
    Usually two fingers rigel. One on occasion. Another difference I've noticed isn't from the DC, but from rapidrise. When downshifting under load, rr makes so you can just click and get back to suffering instead of holding the lever down until the ramps line up and it shifts. Or something like that.