Thread: Ouch!

Who is John Galt?

Ouch!

Just had to get a ride in Sunday so I headed out late in the afternoon to a trail I'd ridden before. Nothing too tough, and it turned out the gateway Off-Road Cyclists were having a party at a pavillion there. so I rode out to the party, said hello to the group and was heading back just as the sun was setting.

This trail is all pretty new and features some nice benchbut. Just out of view from the group I hit a piece of loose bench, the side caved and my rear wheel went off the edge taking me down hard. Would have been end of story except I found one nasty rock with my left knee. It dug a half-inch deep furrow all the way down my knee cap.

I had tights on and they didn't rip. So blood is forcing its way through the gaps in the tights, dripping into my shoes. My arm is lacerated pretty good too. Too far away from the party to yell for help, so I start walking with the bike the mile or so back to where I parked, leaning on the Yeti for support.

After awhile it got good enough to ride so I hopped on and rolled down the hills, walked up. About then I see this 10-point buck keeping pace with me. He's up on the ridge above me and the last of the evening sun is lighting him up. Seemed like he was making sure I got out of the woods. When I got to the parking lot I told him thanks and he ran off!

Once I got home I took the tights off and my knee looked like ground beef. Took 8 stitches to close it up.

So I'm out of action for at least two weeks, the doctor says. Yeti didn't need any stitches. Bummer, as my wife just bought me new lights for our anniversary.

Real freak accident, not the sort of place where you would normally get hurt. Be careful out there!
    What, me hurry?

Hi!!!
    First off....THANK GOD the Yeti is OK!!!!!!!

Heal up man!!

I've had solo crashes before on both the Yeti and my other bikes and it's an eerie feeling when you are all by yourself and you are in a world of hurt.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    Just had to get a ride in Sunday so I headed out late in the afternoon to a trail I'd ridden before. Nothing too tough, and it turned out the gateway Off-Road Cyclists were having a party at a pavillion there. so I rode out to the party, said hello to the group and was heading back just as the sun was setting.

This trail is all pretty new and features some nice benchbut. Just out of view from the group I hit a piece of loose bench, the side caved and my rear wheel went off the edge taking me down hard. Would have been end of story except I found one nasty rock with my left knee. It dug a half-inch deep furrow all the way down my knee cap.

I had tights on and they didn't rip. So blood is forcing its way through the gaps in the tights, dripping into my shoes. My arm is lacerated pretty good too. Too far away from the party to yell for help, so I start walking with the bike the mile or so back to where I parked, leaning on the Yeti for support.

After awhile it got good enough to ride so I hopped on and rolled down the hills, walked up. About then I see this 10-point buck keeping pace with me. He's up on the ridge above me and the last of the evening sun is lighting him up. Seemed like he was making sure I got out of the woods. When I got to the parking lot I told him thanks and he ran off!

Once I got home I took the tights off and my knee looked like ground beef. Took 8 stitches to close it up.

So I'm out of action for at least two weeks, the doctor says. Yeti didn't need any stitches. Bummer, as my wife just bought me new lights for our anniversary.

Real freak accident, not the sort of place where you would normally get hurt. Be careful out there!
    Ouch is right... Glad you are ok.

I have heard of those buck deer like that before. I think they are like vultures. Just waiting for you to keel over so they can get a taste of human flesh. Stinkin flesh eating deer.

If you want, you can send those lights to me and I'll give them a test run to make sure all is in order for you....

Heal quickly. Man, I might just need to invest in some pads or something. This is the second nasty story I have heard today. The first involved a sharp branch through the arm on a local trail I frequent... (Yes I said "through" the arm... )

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Heal well Big Jim!

The Yeti will be waiting for those night rides!

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    The first involved a sharp branch through the arm on a local trail I frequent... (Yes I said "through" the arm... )
    Is that a thread somewhere around MTBR??

Did you ever see that one thread where a handlebar impaled a guy's leg??

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Is that a thread somewhere around MTBR??

Did you ever see that one thread where a handlebar impaled a guy's leg??
    Oh.. I remember that one... it was nasty!

Who is John Galt?
    OK, first post I made where you guys weren't asking for photos! Did I mention the bruise the seat left? You don't want to see that one...
    What, me hurry?

Well, you can post some pics if you want to freak us out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Heal up man- pics are cool. Just don't post any with yer pants down or somethin'. They tend to freak us out a bit. I'm still searchin for knee pads that will fit and stay on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not a good week for Yeti owners. Sunday, I hit my head on an overhead branch, compressed my spine and was paralyzed for 45 minutes from the neck down. I managed to hobble off the trail after my nerves started firing again, but I'm still awaiting an MRI to fully assess the damage.

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoosix
    Not a good week for Yeti owners. Sunday, I hit my head on an overhead branch, compressed my spine and was paralyzed for 45 minutes from the neck down. I managed to hobble off the trail after my nerves started firing again, but I'm still awaiting an MRI to fully assess the damage.
    Wow, you just made me forget all about the knee. Hope that all goes good for you. Better put the ride in the MRI with you.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Oh $h!t!!!!

I hope the both of you come back at 100%

Ant

Hi!!!
    OH ****!!!

Hope you are OK and there is no bad damage!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Seriously, sounds like you both had close calls. I hope you both heal up quickly and are back spanking a Yeti soon!

Jeez... I hope it turns out only to be a temporary thing because of the hit and has no permanent complications.

All the best,
    Cris

Who is John Galt?
    So what's a Yeti rider to do for two weeks to stay in shape? I can't even do sit ups right now. And I'm thinking the old confidence just took as big a hit as the knee.
    What, me hurry?

Positive Vibe Technician

Get Well Soon!
    If you are gunna be dumb, ya gotta be tough

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    So what's a Yeti rider to do for two weeks to stay in shape? I can't even do sit ups right now. And I'm thinking the old confidence just took as big a hit as the knee.
    I guess you should take it easy to heal fast, your basic fitness won't go away as fast... you could do some weights with your "uninjured" limbs I guess...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Yeah, I read your story over on the DORBA forum. I ride Erwin park all the time so I am constantly watching for low hanging branches now. A nice rain brings some surprises with those as well.

Hope all is ok.

mucho aggro
    wowza Jim...did the same sorta thing at the chubb in the middle of summer...high speed twisty root flip to knee rock...but I didn't get stiches...be glad you got stiches...you'll heal faster! (and no messy super glue!)

ŚW