mtbr member

opinions on upgrading my 575

The 5th air on my 04 575 started leaking air for the second time this year so, its time for a new shock. I bought a DHX air for the frame now I'm thinking of putting on a 07 talas 36 now that fox finally changed the TALAS feature to something usefull. Has anyone rode a 575 with both a 130mm and 160mm fork? How do they compair? naturally this will make the 575 fairly heavy so I'm just making an excuse for the "need" of a ASR but if the 160mm fork messes up the geometry to bad I'll sick with what I have.
    Thanks

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer
    The 5th air on my 04 575 started leaking air for the second time this year so, its time for a new shock. I bought a DHX air for the frame now I'm thinking of putting on a 07 talas 36 now that fox finally changed the TALAS feature to something usefull. Has anyone rode a 575 with both a 130mm and 160mm fork? How do they compair? naturally this will make the 575 fairly heavy so I'm just making an excuse for the "need" of a ASR but if the 160mm fork messes up the geometry to bad I'll sick with what I have.
    Thanks
    I think the answer depends on what kind of riding you do. If you are doing a lot of aggressive AM type riding with rugged DH or drops then the extra travel may be good to have. If you are using your 575 as your AM/XC bike then I would think that 160mm is overkill. Still, I have heard others say that their 575 loves the longer forks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer
    Thanks
    I have the TALAS 36 on mine. I really like it. If I had to take a fixed length 140 would be about right. To me the 130 setting is a little low in front for full time use. I use 130 for cross country stuff if there are some steep climbs mixed in, and may drop it to 100 on the fly for a very steep hill. For the down hill the 160 is very very sweet. The 36 makes it very versitle, you just pay the 1 lb penalty. But hey it looks bad ass too. Mine is nearly 32 lbs with the 36 and some heavy dh rims and minions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Oh yeah and on the Yeti web site they show the geometry at 67 with 160 MM and 69 with 130mm. Also the Enduro Pro kit from Yeti comes it so it can't screw it up too much!