In my mind, I can do it!

One black beauty lost her virginity..

A bike I mean.. I took the new ride out for a spin and it was really sweet. I can tell I need to do a lot of adjustments to the fork and air pressures and stuff to dial it in but it rides really plush but firm. On this single track style of riding I set the rp3 to firm propedal and it was very effecient. I played around with the different setting and the fork as well but over all it rode really nice.

I have one issue I need help to resolve. The front rotor vibrates when I squeeze the brakes and makes a loud high pitch noise. I'm not sure how to resolve this. It is quite annoying.

The tires are great and roll fast. They bank like they are on rails.

One thing that happened but I'm not sure what it was, there is a 3' deep ditch that is about 5' wide and you have to ride down and bank at the bottom when you head back up the other side. When I hit that bank something on my back wheel seemed to flex very noticeable. I'm not sure if it was the wheel, perhaps the tire sidewall or something, I'm just not sure.

So to answer the old question, Is the 575 too much bike for the kind of riding I do, well, yes it is. But I like it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy

I have one issue I need help to resolve. The front rotor vibrates when I squeeze the brakes and makes a loud high pitch noise. I'm not sure how to resolve this. It is quite annoying.

:
    You have to break the brakes in.

It'll take about 1000' of vert before they'll stop squealing. Which, in Texas should take you about 900,000,000,000 miles. Just keep riding in and out of that ditch, they should be broken in in no time.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    You have to break the brakes in.

It'll take about 1000' of vert before they'll stop squealing. Which, in Texas should take you about 900,000,000,000 miles. Just keep riding in and out of that ditch, they should be broken in in no time.
    The squealing is really loud. I can't believe this is normal. Maybe it is but my friend has a new bike and his aren't making this kind of sound.

In my mind, I can do it!
    A bike I mean.. I took the new ride out for a spin and it was really sweet. I can tell I need to do a lot of adjustments to the fork and air pressures and stuff to dial it in but it rides really plush but firm. On this single track style of riding I set the rp3 to firm propedal and it was very effecient. I played around with the different setting and the fork as well but over all it rode really nice.

The tires are great and roll fast. They bank like they are on rails.

One thing that happened but I'm not sure what it was, there is a 3' deep ditch that is about 5' wide and you have to ride down and bank at the bottom when you head back up the other side. When I hit that bank something on my back wheel seemed to flex very noticeable. I'm not sure if it was the wheel, perhaps the tire sidewall or something, I'm just not sure.

So to answer the old question, Is the 575 too much bike for the kind of riding I do, well, yes it is. But I like it...
    I forgot to mention one other thing that was a big disappointment. Apparently this 575 is not crash proof as I thought. It will not stop one from going over the handlebars nor will it cushion the fall as I expected it might. So lesson learned here, they make the bike able to withstand the shortcommings of the rider but not to overcome those shortcommings....

Bad Case of the Mondays
    The squealing is really loud. I can't believe this is normal. Maybe it is but my friend has a new bike and his aren't making this kind of sound.
    My Juicys were like screaming Banshees until I got them broken in. I was literally riding around my neighborhood doing stops from 25mph+ with my wife, and she told me she was going to ride by herself because my screaming brakes were driving her crazy.

It went away after about 50 hard stops and now they are silent.

mtbr member

Dude...

:
    Glad you like the bike...
    As everyone has said, make sure to bed the brakes in. Also, you may want to get the brake tabs faced. The Rev paint flakes right off when you screw the adapter into the tabs and that may create a not too solid interface for the front caliper. I had to use a file and shave some paint off to get my caliper aligned and vibration free (I have Hayes however).

As far as the flexy wheel, the stock QR on the Enduro wheels are not the best (actually, they're the worst QR's I've ever tried except for the old Ringle's). Replace it with a Shimano unit if you have some laying around. Also, check to make sure that your pivot bolts are tight (using a torque wrench)....

Oh yeah, one more thing, loctite your removable deraileur hanger on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Loud squealing is not normal. Usually brakes squeal if they are not aligned properly or if the pads are contaminated. Try this. Loosen the bolts on your brake adapter then squeeze the lever so the pads will grab rotor and then tighten adapter. This should align your brakes. If it doesn't help then you need to face the tabs.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Glad you like the bike...
    As everyone has said, make sure to bed the brakes in. Also, you may want to get the brake tabs faced. The Rev paint flakes right off when you screw the adapter into the tabs and that may create a not too solid interface for the front caliper. I had to use a file and shave some paint off to get my caliper aligned and vibration free (I have Hayes however).

As far as the flexy wheel, the stock QR on the Enduro wheels are not the best (actually, they're the worst QR's I've ever tried except for the old Ringle's). Replace it with a Shimano unit if you have some laying around. Also, check to make sure that your pivot bolts are tight (using a torque wrench)....

Oh yeah, one more thing, loctite your removable deraileur hanger on.
    Funny you should mention the derailleur hanger.... My first ride I went over the handlebars.. really dumb on my part.. but I wound up with a bent derailleur hanger. When I took it to the shop they bent it back but told me that it seemed really soft to them. Maybe it's designed that way. In any case I am also going to get a spare just in case...

The QR's are pretty cheap looking. I'll try some better ones. My old bike has some XT's on it. Maybe I'll swap for the time being until I get some new ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The derailleur hangars are very soft. I've bent/broken three and have now replaced it with an aftermarket BETD one (www.betd.com I think). No problems since then.

By the way, congratulations on taking the plunge!

Richard