Dirty Mac

Okay, 575. Now, which build kit

Well after being recommended the 575 at the LBS, scowering mtbr for opinions and taking one for a test drive, I'm pretty much ready to join the bandwagon and get me a Yeti. So now the question is which build kit.

Here's the situation. Live in South Florida where the trails are technical and the roots are plentiful and quite literally a pain in the ass. I average about 20 miles per week. Go a few times a year on trips to real mountains.

What are the differences between build kits (obviously, other than the parts)? Are the weight savings substantial? Will the bike feel different? Bottom line; is the added price worth it for those parts?

By the way, first post [insert applause here].
    Last edited by Dirty Mac; 06-06-2006 at 08:37 AM.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Mac
    Well after being recommended the 575 at the LBS, scowering mtbr for opinions and taking one for a test drive, I'm pretty much ready to join the bandwagon and get me a Yeti. So now the question is which groupo.

Here's the situation. Live in South Florida where the trails are technical and the roots are plentiful and quite literally a pain in the ass. I average about 20 miles per week. Go a few times a year on trips to real mountains.

What are the differences between groupos (obviously, other than the parts)? Are the weight savings substantial? Will the bike feel different? Bottom line; is the added price worth it for those parts?

By the way, first post [insert applause here].
    I'm assuming that you are wanting to compare the Race disk to the Enduro, correct? I think that you get a better value on the race disk because of all the upgraded parts. Thomson seatpost and stem, X-0 RD, DT Swiss wheelset, Deus cranks, upgraded chain and cassette, upgraded saddle, upgraded fork (debateable though). All that for only about $600 more.

But, the enduro is not a bad build either. The thing on the enduro that I don't particularly care for are the wheels. You won't notice a differerence between the Thomson parts vs the Race Face. The X-0 Rear Derailleur may shift a bit better but I doubt you will notice the difference unless you did a side by side comparison. The cranks are a toss up, some hate the Evolve cranks and some think they are great. The Vanilla RL fork is cheaper than the Float RLC but it probably has a much better ride.

If you want to save some cash and get a good bike go with the Enduro and spend the extra on upgrading the wheelset. There are many also that swear by the RockShox Revelation or the Pike as a better pick on the fork than the Vanilla or the Float or even the Talas. The Revelation is cheaper too.

I recently had a quote on both the Enduro and the Race disk from a LBS. The Race disk w/ the Revelation and a CK headset was going to be about $3059. The Enduro w/ the Revelation, CK headset and upgraded wheels to the CrossMax Enduro was going to be $2790 (tax included).

The big thing to remember is that parts can be upgraded, the frame is the same across all models. If money isn't a problem go with the Race Disk. It's a better value. If money is an issue, go with the Enduro and do a couple of upgrades if you want. I doubt that the weight savings is that much really. Maybe .5lbs between the two?

Will at Fullcycles.com has been the best deal I have found on the net. I highly recommend giving him a call.

Dirty Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I'm assuming that you are wanting to compare the Race disk to the Enduro, correct?....
    Any opinions on the Pro. That's a huge $1,200 increase over the Race Disk. I would love a set of Crossmax's and everyone is raving about the XO trigger (although I wonder if that's just a fad). Is there any value in that upgrade or should I just leave that setup to the real Pros?

The Vanilla RL fork is cheaper than the Float RLC but it probably has a much better ride. ... There are many also that swear by the RockShox Revelation or the Pike as a better pick on the fork than the Vanilla or the Float or even the Talas. The Revelation is cheaper too.
    The one good thing about the Float or Talas over the Vanilla is a weight savings of .25 - .33 lbs. Why do you figure that the Vanilla has a better ride? Do you think any of these choices are much better for the rooted trails I bike on?

Will at Fullcycles.com has been the best deal I have found on the net. I highly recommend giving him a call.
    I want to support my LBS. They're a real good outfit. Most of their customers are road bikers but everyone who walks into that place acts like they're family. One of the staff owns a 575 which is also good.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Any opinions on the Pro. That's a huge $1,200 increase over the Race Disk. I would love a set of Crossmax's and everyone is raving about the XO trigger (although I wonder if that's just a fad). Is there any value in that upgrade or should I just leave that setup to the real Pros?
    The pro is setup really sweet. I don't think that the X0 stuff is hype. I know a guy with a set and they look really nice. The crossmax's are probably a noticeable difference. Will the $4700 make you a better rider or faster? Guess that's your call but I doubt it. You will save money to buy the Race Disk and upgrade the wheels and shifters. If you want top of the line wheels, check out the Industry Nine wheels. They cost about $900 but are supposedly worth every penny.

The one good thing about the Float or Talas over the Vanilla is a weight savings of .25 - .33 lbs. Why do you figure that the Vanilla has a better ride? Do you think any of these choices are much better for the rooted trails I bike on?
    The vanilla ride is hard to beat. It is super plush. However I have heard those that have had both it and the Revelation that they prefer the Revelation. The vanilla is going to be a trouble free fork for the most part though. And did I mention "plush"... ?

I want to support my LBS. They're a real good outfit. Most of their customers are road bikers but everyone who walks into that place acts like they're family. One of the staff owns a 575 which is also good.
    Personally, If I had $5k to blow on a bike I would buy the Race Disk, upgrade the wheels and fork and maybe the shifters and use the rest to take a nice trip to Utah or something.
    Last edited by iviguy; 06-06-2006 at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member

Get the Race build kit

and definitely-absolutely buy a killer set of wheels with the money left over. Lighter wheels transform this bike and if you are more of an aggressive XC or borderline-FR rider, you can still build up a relatively light (sub 2000 gram) wheelset that will handle the abuse. I built mine with the Race package, Talas and sold the XT-819 wheelset that came with it and put on the XTR tubeless wheelset that was on my XC dualie...

EDR
    This bike can be built up somewhat beefy or somewhat light. If you don't ride super aggressive techy stuff with lots of obstacles and step downs/drops then you probably would benefit much more from a lighter build. Mainly I mean wheels and fork. Light wheels can make a world of difference. I personally use 819's and they aren't light, but then agian I run a Pike coil and it's not light...and that fine for me, you may differ.

The Vanilla is a nice fork. It's a relatively light weight coil sprung fork (about 3/4lbs lighter than my Pike, I think) and many prefer coil over air sprung, many don't, again that's personal. I prefer a coil fork (at this time in my riding life, haha) b/c I still find them generally smoother and much more linear in the feel of the travel. Many air forks 'ramp up' greatly towards the end of their travel, this means that it gets progressively harder to compress the fork the deeper into the travel it goes. That has always been the knock on air forks but with the new designs (like the Pike dual air's) that paradigm seems to be shifting. Still the Vanilla is a nice smooth/trouble free ride. The air forks are generally more adjustable since you can make ride adjustments via air pressure. With a coil you must replace the actual coil spring (not taking into account the available adjustments on the fork like compression damping, rebound damping, floodgate control - not sure the vanilla has compression damping but I know my Pike does).

You won't notice improved performance with Thomson vs. anything else, or Evolve vs XT or whatever or even X0 vs. X9 IMO. But thats not to say they aren't quality stuff.- I put a Thomson post on my 575 caus the crappy RF carbon was always slipping.

Its just a matter of what kind of money you have and your priorities. If you must pick and choose and you are worried about weight, go with Enduro and swap to really nice wheels and stick with a lighter weight air fork. - good luck

bob
    mtbr member
    I'm also a S.Florida rider and just built a 575. I ride Ft. Pierce, Santos, and Alafia. I went with a Float fork and X.9 deraileur/shifters. I love the X.9 stuff and it works way better than my old XT shifter/XTR deraileur set up. I was a little nervous moving from a Marzocchi Z1 to the Float but it handles any of the terrain I can throw at it just fine. Vortex, John Brown, and Anthill at Santos for example. Not exactly brutal terrain but not for a flimsy fork either.

Dirty Mac
    Another option is a custom build. My LBS put together this package:
    Fox Float 130 RLC
    R. Der: XO
    F. Der: XT
    Crankset: LX
    Cassette: XT
    Chain: XTR
    Brakes: Margura Marta
    Shifters: X9 trigger
    Headset: Cane Creek S-8
    Seatpost: Race Face Evolve
    Wheels: Crossmax Enduro disk
    Bars: EA70 Monkeylite
    Stem: FSA

all this for $3,450.

Maybe the cutomized route is the way to go. What do you guys think of this build?

Dirty Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I went with a Float fork and X.9 deraileur/shifters. I love the X.9 stuff and it works way better than my old XT shifter/XTR deraileur set up. I was a little nervous moving from a Marzocchi Z1 to the Float but it handles any of the terrain I can throw at it just fine.
    Glad to hear it. I'm using the same setup now. I'm not unhappy with it but its nice to hear that I'll be even happier with the SRAM.

How long is the loop up there in Ft. P? What kind of trails do they have there? Is it worth me taking a trip from the Ft. Lauderdale area?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Fox Float 130 RLC

all this for $3,450.

Maybe the cutomized route is the way to go. What do you guys think of this build?
    Honestly, it would be cheaper to get the Race Disk build and upgrade the wheels to the Crossmax Enduro. The Crossmax are $499, and trade in on the DT Swiss wheels are probably about $350 or better. If your LBS doesn't give you a discount on that bike, then shop elsewhere. Go-ride.com advertises $450 off the top on the Race Disk. My LBS offered about $350 as a discount and if you talk to Will at fullcycles.com I'm sure he can beat both of those.

Race disk - $3259
    Discount - ($350)
    DT tradein - ($350)
    Crossmax - $499

Total - $3058

If they can't beat that then go elsewhere. That build is definately not as good as the RD build option.

Dirty Mac
    Okay, final decision (maybe):

Race Disc w/ carbon chainstay ( I'm told it saves about 1/2 lb and looks gorgeous).

Total price assembled: $3077.

Ideally I would like to get a set of Dave' Thomas's SpeedDream wheels (Hope/ Classic Disc: 1490 gr, $550) but as the Stones said, You can't always get what you want.

Of course if anybody would like to buy a brand new, never been used set of DT Swiss wheels, please let me know.

EDR
    Fox Float 130 RLC

all this for $3,450.

Well, it's a nice setup. I had xmax enduros and liked them. I don't wish to put a damper on any enthusiasm(sp?) you have for your build, its great but I'm not too sure your lbs did you any favors on the price. I mean in many cases the online guys can just do a better deal. Here's what I got from Boutiquebikes.

Fork: Upgrade from Vanilla to Pike team Coil 140mm w/travel adjust (Uturn) + a 20mm hub to accomodate the fork.
    FD: XT
    RD: Upgrade from xt to X.9
    Shifters: Upgrade shimano to X.9 shifters
    Crankset: stock RF evolve crank set
    Cassette: stock pc990 or whatever cassette
    Brakes: Upgrade from Hayes 9 to Hayes Mag brakes
    Rotors: Upgrade from 6'' to 8'' front rotor (with adaptor)
    Headset: Upgrade from Cane Creek to RF Deus
    Wheels: Upgrade from Mavic 221 (or whatever they were) to Mavic 819 ust disc
    Tires: Swapped stock Maxxis Minions with 2.35 Kenda Nevegals
    Seat/Post: Stock seat/post (RF Carbon Next post, since swapped for a Thomson)
    Bar: Stock RF Carbon Next 31.8mm bar
    Stem: Swapped the stock RF 100mm for a 90mm RF

All this for $2350 ('05 frame, parts upgraded from the late '05 Enduro build kit). My lbs wanted msrp ($2399) for the stock enduro build. When I mentioned swapping the fork out for a Pike and swapping wheels out the price went thru the roof. I would have spent over 3K for the same bike with them vs. online...

You got a great bike with a nice set up so don't worry about the money. Just enjoy the ride!!
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 06-06-2006 at 04:25 PM.

bob
    mtbr member
    Ft. Pierce is my home trail as I live in P.S.L. It's 5+ mile loop that is tight single track, full of turns, quick climbs/descents, roots, and some drop offs. It's one of those trails that your always thinking, in and out of the saddle, and is a total blast to ride. I don't know if it would be worth your time to drive up, but I do run into people from Lauderdale and Miami there occasionally. As the rainy season progresses it goes under water for a couple months. I'd come up soon if you're thinking about it.

As for your bike build, I would skip the XO rear deraileaur and get an X9, as there's a huge price difference. Apply the savings to upgrading the cranks. For cranks, I like the new Truvativ x types. I think they run around $180.

What color 575 are you getting? Not sure about the Cane Creek S-8, but the S-6 looks really good in silver and would look nice on a raw 575.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Okay, final decision (maybe):

Race Disc w/ carbon chainstay ( I'm told it saves about 1/2 lb and looks gorgeous).

Total price assembled: $3077.

Ideally I would like to get a set of Dave' Thomas's SpeedDream wheels (Hope/ Classic Disc: 1490 gr, $550) but as the Stones said, You can't always get what you want.

Of course if anybody would like to buy a brand new, never been used set of DT Swiss wheels, please let me know.
    I think you will really like the build. And I bet you won't be disappointed with the DT Swiss wheels either. They are nice wheels.

Take a gander at this: 575 Carbon ! drool factor 10

I would recommend the clear lizard skin chain stay protectors. You don't wanna mess up that Carbon....

Dirty Mac
    Ya, that was pretty much the thread that sold me on the CF chainstay in the first place. Sweet, huh?

Members who have read this thread: 0