Thread: Ogre vs Yeti

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ogre vs Yeti

Looking at dumpin my old frame and step into a Yeti 575 in order to maintain the utilization of my Lyrik 2step (which I absolutely adore). I am 6'5" and approx 260lbs. While I am not concerned with my weight, I am trying to determine if an XL will fit accordingly.

Currently I ride a XXL Kona Coiler DeeLux and here are the numbers I have to decide with:

Kona -
    Head Angle: 66deg
    Seat Angle: 70deg
    Top Tube: 24.8in
    Chainstay: 17.1in
    Headtube: 5.5in
    BB Height: 13.7in
    Stand Over: 33.5in

575 -
    Head Angle: 68deg
    Seat Angle: 71.5deg
    Top Tube: 25.7in
    Chainstay: 16.9in
    Headtube: 6in
    BB Height: 13.6in
    Stand Over: 29.3in

How comparable are they? How close would the ride similarities (in terms of feel) be?

Help an Ogre out...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    575 is a great frame and will serve you well but man your big.

Have you tried a 29er? If you want a Fs I suggest the rip9.

Since your big I'll rephrase that to respectfully suggest

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yes i am an ogre...a quite large mammal...

i have my eyes on a specialized stumpjumper expert fsr 29er yet unfortunately the yeti fever has struck cord since i compared the geos of my current frame to that of a yeti 575 xl.

the kona wears me well and it is actually quite fitting. granted it may look like i am riding a bmx bike, i like how nimble and quick i can manipulate a 26er. to be honest i would not mind riding a yeti 575 for a season or two...

considering the geos, do you believe the xl will be too small for me...?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 6'6" and nearly 200lbs and am on my second 575 XL. First was an '08 and now I'm on an '11. The geo changes from the '08 to the '11 are noticeable but still plenty comfortable for me. I looked at the Spez Enduro Evo but couldn't geet comfortable. Top tube was too short and I felt cramped. The 575 is the way to go

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4", XL 2008 575 fits perfect.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'm 6'4" and XL2011 575 fits great. I came from a 2007 XL 575 which also felt great. The new 575 is definitely a tougher and stiffer beast for us big guys.

mtbr member
    The HA on a 575 with a lyrik is going to be around 66.7-67 degrees, 68 is with a 150 fork. And just a suggestion, contact yeti and see if they have set a weight limit for the 2011 575. I don't know if they have, but I know they did for the 2010 and before (I think back to 08), and if you were over the weight limit, it would void the warranty. Just something to find out first before dropping this kind of cash. Good luck, I love my 575 and highly recommend it
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I weight 220-235(with gear) and I had trouble getting the rear air shock to work to my liking. I could never get the sag right and it would bottom out easily. It was still ridable with Pro-Pedal but didn't perform the way I wanted on the downhills. So I switched to the ASR7 so I could run a coil shock and like that much better. I would demo a 575 and see if you like the way the fox rp23 shock works with really high air pressure. Also maybe consider a dhx air shock if that will fit the frame. The 575 is an awesome bike though and I would recommend it to anyone as long as they can get the rear shock setup for their weight..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    A riding buddy of mine is almost your size and has had a ton of bikes, kona, santa cruz... and freaking LOVES his Seven with a coil shock and Totem. He says its the best bike he's ridden by far, and he manages to out climb me on my 575 most days. Might be worth a look for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks much for all of the input...

as for weight, i seem to lose approx 35lbs during the spring months and into the summer months, lowering my weight to 240ish. i feel as though most frames can handle 240 well.

my biggest concern is that cockpit (top tube) would not be long enough for me and from the responses it seems as though the XL 575 should be a good fit...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From all that I read, the 575 (XL) had the longest TT and one of the longer ST (Shortened slightly for '11) of all the AM frames out there. I definitely don't feel cramped at all.

mtbr member
    Did you consider an ASR 7 ? http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/ASR7/3/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i did consider the asr7...yet i have pulled the trigger on a 575 xl...

time for a fit and get some components...woot woot...!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    call sports garage in boulder, colorado and ask them!