mtbr member

Ode to the ASR-5

After two weeks off the bike due to wet weather in Atlanta, I finally got two days of trail hammering this weekend.

Saturday was cold. At 23 deg, it was The coldest I'd ever ridden in. But felt great even though I had trouble shifting in ski gloves.

Yesterday was warmer at 50 but a complete mud slog. Great fun.

When I finished yesterday and was hosing off my bike, I was reminded how great a bike this is. 5" of travel, quick, nimble, and light as a feather. Not a lot of bikes can claim that.

I'm still amazed Yeti killed what could be the best mountain bike ever made. I really wish I had bought an extra frame when they were on close out for $799.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I just had the same thought washing off my 5 yesterday! Sick bike. I wanna upgrade to the SB66 or 75, but just can't think of the idea of actually selling the 5!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just purchased my first Yeti. Absolutely in love with it only after a couple rides. Still breaking her in! (2012 asr 5)
    2012 Yeti ASR 5 - Imgur

~*~*~*~*~
    Quick & nimble. Those two words are always what I say when someone asks me about my ASR5. I think my friends are getting tired of me saying I love my bike!

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I'm still amazed Yeti killed what could be the best mountain bike ever made.
    We love that bike too, but when sales basically cease to exist on a model, the market has spoken, and it's time to move on.

I'm not directing this to you personally, but lately it seems like a lot of folks out there are having a hard time understanding that this is a market-driven business. If we can't sell something, we can't afford to keep making it. Do people really think we're all jacked up about things like new wheel size standards when they're first brought to us? Hell no. It's a TON of work redesigning everything, moving through old fork/wheel/tube/tire inventory, etc. to bring about change. But we saw it first hand with bikes like the 66 this year - suddenly consumer demand just vanishes for a bike that we're completely in love with.

Of course, the upside of cataclysmic changes like this is that it puts our creative juices into high gear, and we generally come up with something even better. All I'll say on that front is stay tuned for what's next.

And if you're really just opposed to any change at all, no worries! Keep riding the hell out of that ASR-5/SB66/etc.. We've got plenty of rebuild kits and other parts in stock to keep those bikes running like new, so you should be able to enjoy them for years to come.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Long live the ASR-7
    I have loved the hell out of every ride on my ASR bikes. I've had 2 different 575s and an ASR-7 that I currently ride. It's an amazing platform and I'm sure that if the SB platform didn't exist they would have continued to sell. The SB bikes are amazing as well and I'm sure they will get discontinued after the next latest and greatest Yeti release. I'm glad the 575 is still around and I'm waiting for them to become available.

Progress and innovation is great, but the classics never go out of style.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    It's a TON of work redesigning everything, moving through old fork/wheel/tube/tire inventory, etc. to bring about change.
    JP
    So - If you guys could get to work on a 650b carbon hardtail with sliders, then pull it out of your lineup so I could get it at 40% off - that would be awesome.

K-Thx.

I have to admit that I didn't really think about it from the manufacturers perspective. It's a pain for ME as a consumer to keep up with the various tubes, tires, bolts, cables, headtube sizes, etc -- and I only buy a new bike about every 3 years.

I was never a fan of the ASR-5. It always seemed redundant to me. Not as light and efficient as the ASR, and not as "All Mountain-y" as the 575... but to each their own.
    Last edited by forkboy; 01-21-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Tribe Member
    Hey JohnP,
    I'm local and just bought a 66a. Can I come over and "help" you move through some of that fork/wheel/tube/tire inventory? Or maybe just bring what's left over to the BME races and we can all help you move through it.

Thanks
    /sarcasm off.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member

Ode to the ASR-5

So if I'm committed to my ASR 5,should I be buying rebuild parts or a whole new frame? I bought my frame in January 2012 and watched the nationally supply at online sites dwindle quickly to zero as soon as the discounts started

Are there even any more frames left? I've heard Yeti keeps a warranty stock but those frames obviously aren't for sale.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand the question. Is there a reason why you need to buy anything? That is, is your bike running poorly? We'll have replacement parts and warranty stock for years to come in case something happens to it.
    Last edited by John P.; 01-21-2014 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Ode to the ASR-5

Seems crazy that you're not selling 66s. But, then again, I have a 95 so there you go.
    Last edited by breed007; 01-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love my ASR5C and can't see me selling or replacing it. It was my 'dream' bike. When Yeti released it I knew that the bike suited me, my style of riding and what and where I ride (UK).

I finally managed to buy the ASR5C in June 2012 and have never regretted it. Fast, light, stiff, nimble, slack. It's a precision tool. The only problem I've found during nearly two years of ownership was I felt a little 'underbiked' riding in the Alps. Specifically some of the trails in and around Verbier. But this was only in 'certain' situations and terrain. The rest of the time I and it held it's own against other riders on bigger travel bikes. Granted, the poor Float 32 CTD may also be to blame and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on an RS Pike with 140mm air sleeve assembly kit to bolster things up at the front end.

I am sorely tempted by the Stumpy Expert Carbon Evo 29 though. I own a steel 29er HT and love the big wheel feel and believe the Stumpy would be the 29er equivalent of the ASR5C and encompass all of my favourite attributes of both bikes I own. I'm to demo one shortly but it's too much of a risk to sell the ASR5C. The components yes.
    The frame no.

The problem for me now is that the benchmark has been set very high. So my next bike has to be exceptional and better than the ASR5C. I've been tempted by the SB66C but this would only be for increased travel capability. That is all.

I'm also glad to hear John P that there are spare parts available. The laquer on my swingarm has started to crack and flake in two or three locations so I hope to get this covered under warranty. No biggie though, just for cosmetic reasons

Well done Yeti. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got planned for 2014.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    I am sorely tempted by the Stumpy Expert Carbon Evo 29 though. I own a steel 29er HT and love the big wheel feel and believe the Stumpy would be the 29er equivalent of the ASR5C and encompass all of my favourite attributes of both bikes I own. I'm to demo one shortly but it's too much of a risk to sell the ASR5C.
    You should try an SB95C as well. I think you'll be amazed at that bike's capabilities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Evolution

You should try an SB95C as well. I think you'll be amazed at that bike's capabilities.
    I personally don't like or don't feel like 29'ers are best suited for my style of riding and terrain. I currently own an ASR5 which has been with me for over two years, including the 2013 Tribe at Telluride, and I just love it, but I'm ready for a new toy. I don't get emotionally attached to things and am capable of addapting to the new.

What about the SB75? In my opinion, it seems (at least in paper) to be the perfect balance between the ASR5 and possibly the SB95. A shoot out would be very interesting. Any notes on that? I don't compare it to a SB66 because I just think its not fair; they are two different monsters.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Well, I work for Yeti, so my opinion is probably heavily biased. I love the 75. We built that as a really cost-effective bike to allow people to try some of our newest technology (Switch, 27.5, etc.) without breaking the bank.

If you like the ASR5 and want something new though, the 2014 575 is probably going to be closer to what you're used to. It's a bit lighter than the SB75 due to the less sophisticated suspension system, and we adjusted the rate on the shock to be more similar to the ASR-5.

FYI,
    JP

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well, I work for Yeti, so my opinion is probably heavily biased. I love the 75. We built that as a really cost-effective bike to allow people to try some of our newest technology (Switch, 27.5, etc.) without breaking the bank.

If you like the ASR5 and want something new though, the 2014 575 is probably going to be closer to what you're used to. It's a bit lighter than the SB75 due to the less sophisticated suspension system, and we adjusted the rate on the shock to be more similar to the ASR-5.

FYI,
    JP
    Thanks, I'm going with the SB75. Progression!

I can always buy the 575 frame if I don't like the SB and hang the SB75 frame on the wall; it will look pretty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ASR5 owners, what kind of stem are you guys running on your bike? Currently, my bike has a Truvativ Stylo - 90mm - 31.8mm - 5. I jumped on my friends bike that had a shorter stem and it was a worlds difference. Whats a good sweet spot for a stem or what are yall recommending?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    50mm

parts leftover
    I'm having great luck with a Specialized 75mm +6deg rise stem on my ASR-5 with 15mm of spacers and a 711mm wide Easton Haven bar. The 90mm 10deg Thomson stem the bike shipped with stretched me out a little too much and didn't let me lean the bike over comfortably.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just bought an SB-66c frame from competitive cyclist. I demo'ed a couple great and highly hyped 27.5s and in the end, and living just up the road from Yeti, I pulled the trigger on the proven 26" SB-66c. I prefer products that are proven and I strongly believe in supporting the local economy. I'm happy to hear that the bike will have some support for years to come. Keep it up and stay strong, Yeti. I'm sure having to stop production on the SB-66 was difficult for the company.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I panned to run a 70mm Raceface Turbine stem.
    But ended using a 50mm Raceface Turbine stem, and never fitted the 70mm.

5' 9" & medium frame. I still have the 70mm new in box.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Ode to the ASR-5

Great post OP!

But by dead St Patrick don't hose off the 'ole nimble lass! Sure way to burst 'er bearins!
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

FYI,
    JP
    Hey John,

I placed an order for 2 complete SB75 and a frame though my dealer back in January and still don't know when they will be available. Any idea on when the bikes will be available. Last thing I heard was March 3rd or so.....

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Your dealer is going to be your best source of info, but we've been taking orders on that bike since September and demand was much higher than we anticipated. Accordingly, there's a big backlog.

JP