Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

No more Yeti for me .

You guys know I loved my 95C, when it was new the bike was really stiff and worked well , ( once I installed the Pike fork and valved the rear shock to work, then I was really in love ).
    After a few rides I started having issues with the paint on the bike chipping this happened while riding on the street for 2 months as I was recovering from a car accident. I called Yeti and described the chipping from frame flex because the bike had never been down as I was riding only on the street. I got no help from Yeti and in fact they really did not want to talk to me at all on the phone , they were very short and rude and did not care at all.
    Then 2 months ago I started getting a major amount of flex in the main frame and in the rear triangle ( it was obvious my frame set was week )
    thats why all the chipped paint and cracking around the aluminum mounting boss.
    I got ahold of Matt Fisher in warranty again and he really did not care one way or the other , told me to take the bike to a Yeti dealer which I did. The dealer saw the paint flaking off the frame and called yeti and yeti said it looks like crash damage on the rear section and possibly a crack and would provide no warranty. Yeti knew about the paint chipping off my bike months ago yet the are using it as an excuse now not to warranty my frame and rear section that flexes. I really feel like I was thrown under the bus and blackballed by Yeti.

So Matt Fisher turned down any warranty but he said he would replace the crashed rear section for me for $600 dollars and said nothing about the frame .

So I got about 7 months use out of the best bike that Yeti makes and I have no warranty help on a defective frame set.

Thats a $3K Frame paper weight in my opinion .

So I just wanted to let you guys know that Yeti does not take care of all their customers , I know there is a lot of you guys on the 66C and the 95C that got new frame sets for some of theses same issues I currently have but Yeti will not even return my e-mails at this point. I would really like Yeti the be a standup company the way Niner, Specialized and Santa cruz does with frame warranty issues. I had every expectation that if I had a true warranty problem I would get honest help but that has been far from the reality with Yeti. This in now a matter of principal and I would ideally like Yeti to stand behind their product. I am attaching a video showing the flex and the way I rebuilt the bike and tested for the flex.

I also talked to another Yeti dealer in AZ that agreed with me and said that Yeti was really difficult to work with on warranty issues and he would not sell them any more because of their bad customer service .

So I have been Demoing other bikes again getting ready to buy another bike to replace this 7 month use bike . ( actually I will need two bikes now )

It looks like Im down to the Niner Rip 9 , the Specialized Enduro 29 and the Santa Cruz Tall boy LTC.

I will still be on here because you guys are some good friends,... and bear I am working on your Yeti Tools now , I have not forgot about you

Yeti SB95C Flexi Flyer from kelstr on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Your move Yeti.

******ed or Branded??
    wow, never heard of yeti being such a lack luster of a company with their customers. I hope the fix this problem for you. I just got my hands on one of the few last 66c from them and currently building it up, waiting for parts, and hope I get no flexing and chipping like your frame did. If it does they better warranty it especially I just got the frame.

Good luck and I'll spread the word and hope Yeti does something productive for you.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    *Edited because I was wrong*

Yeti handled mine in a way that made me a customer for life, but that was back when Nate handled claims. He was awesome; hopefully he moved up and not out. Like you, I don't have a Yeti dealer within several hours either.

Either way, I'm (Now un)subscribed. Good luck.
    Last edited by bpnic; 04-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

No more Yeti for me .

Doesn't look crashed at all in that video... Very interested to see the outcome of this.

Extremely poor form for just brushing you off.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm really sorry to see this, it's very unfortunate.

But like the man says, "if the bike ain't right it's not worth fighting - find the right bike"

Eventually JP will notice this and I'd be surprised if he *doesn't* have something to say, privately at least, but it's still poopy.

*and thanks.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010

No more Yeti for me .

Kelstr: I'm very saddened to see this. You've been an SB95c evangelist since day 1. I've learned a vast amount from you and your videos.

I personally would really appreciate it if you keep us up to date on what is causing all of the flex (when you figure it out). I weigh 75 pounds more than you do so it has me worried! My bike was one of the very first that were in the original air shipment.

I hope Yeti is listening. It is apparent from your videos that you are more than diligent (they would be remiss if they did not go through your vimeo channel and watch all of the videos you've posted for us in the SB95c thread over the past year). .

Cheers and thanks.

.mobile

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow never heard of this before. Definitely crazy that the tire will rub on the triangle when pedaling, wtf?!

Hope you get this resolved with Yeti.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Hey guys-

I'm going to try to get some more info on this today and move things in a positive direction, but just wanted to comment on one thing quickly...

The OP seems very disappointed that Matt Fisher did not reply to several of his personal emails/calls. One thing to understand here, guys - we sell well over 10,000 bikes in a year, and our warranty department has a staff of one guy - Matt. We all wish that wasn't the case, but unless you want to shell out a lot more for each bike to pay for additional staff, the situation is what it is.

So what's the solution? We work very hard to vet and recruit the best possible dealers worldwide. They are in place and educated on our products to handle exactly this sort of issue, and that's why our warranty policy states very clearly that our customers need to run their warranty and service requests through their shop. It truly sucks if you don't have one within X number of hours of your house, but what do you propose as a solution? Clearly, expecting Matt to personally deal with every single customer we sell bikes to worldwide is not feasible.

For my part, I do my best to chime in on MTBR and other forums when I get a moment, but again, I'm a one-man staff to handle roughly half of Yeti's annual sales (my sales territory is every country in the world except the USA). Just as I come on here and try to help in my 'free time', so does Matt try to help the occasional customer one-on-one in his 'free time', because we care about our brand and feel a strong sense of gratitude to our customers.

I realize not every case is going to be handled to each of your satisfaction, and everyone's going to want something a little different, but I think it all has to start with a reasonable understanding of the situation, realistic expectations of service, and the following of the protocol we lay out very clearly in our warranty documentation.

Again, I'll try to provide more info when I have it (and have some 'free time').

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Matt's been very helpful to me. Gives the impression of being everything I want from Yeti - caring, knowledgeable, helpful.

YMMV
    303 WC

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If Yeti does sell that many bikes, then maybe the warranty department should be more than one person. As to the cost of that, the way I see it Yetis already have a price premium, so you are looking for that service.

FWIW, my warranty service (x2 on my 5) was great, no complaints. But I did get impression that the way to go was through dealer, not contacting Yeti directly.

Kelstr - genuinely sucks about your bike. I know early on you were a big fan. But I gotta think that video of you modifying pivot shafts isn't going to help your case. Was the bike always flexy?

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    If Yeti does sell that many bikes, then maybe the warranty department should be more than one person. As to the cost of that, the way I see it Yetis already have a price premium, so you are looking for that service.
    Honest question - where would you recommend we cut back to afford this sort of thing? It's not like we're burning money someplace else, and I can assure you no one's getting rich around here ... I offer up my 1996 Toyota T100 with 225,000 miles as Exhibit A, and my 2013 W-2 as the smoking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    FWIW, my warranty service (x2 on my 5) was great, no complaints. But I did get impression that the way to go was through dealer, not contacting Yeti directly.
    Glad to hear you were well taken care of. And I'm also glad you got the impression that you were supposed to go through a dealer, as that's literally the only way we can process a warranty claim.

Cheers,

JP

mtbr member
    Kelstr, hope the problem gets resolved for you. JP is right though, that going through the LBS is the way to go. My LBS handled everything with Yeti/Matt when it came to my fork and it was a non-issue for me. IMO, your LBS should clearly see the frame flex and send it back due to that problem. IMO, the LBS should take charge of this.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    All-

I had a lot of back and forth with Matt this morning about this issue.

Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video. And while it's always fun to watch a good ol' internet fight break out, on behalf of Yeti, I'd rather take the high road here, and just apologize that we did not meet Kelstr/Kelly's expectations and wish him all the best.

In Matt's personal defense, he showed me a time/date-stamped email transcript of more than 10 messages he sent to Kelly answering every question that was asked. I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet, so I'll give Kelstr the benefit of the doubt here and assume he must have a hyperactive spam filter that prevented these messages from being delivered.

At the end of the day, we're proud of our reputation for superb customer service, and countless emails, phone calls, and posts in these very pages support this claim. In this particular instance, we went well beyond our contractual warranty obligations and made offers that were not accepted. That's a bummer, but we respect the customer's decision and wish him well in the future.

Peace guys,

JP

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video.
    I had a feeling that this was the case

mtbr member
    This is getting good

Linoleum Knife
    I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet,
    Bwahahahah.
    So... you're new to this whole "internet" thing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone else experienced this flex? Not going to point fingers or blame etc, but while kelstr's machining skills are impressive, I could see how his possible tinkering could plausibly end with some unforeseen issues. Again, I've much appreciated kelstrs contributions here, they definitely helped me make my decision to buy my SB95c, but in an effort to not freak myself out here after picking up my bike two months ago, I'm trying to be cautious and careful before I reach any conclusions here. That said, I'm paying close attention to this thread.

Bikes!
    Sorry to see you go Kelstr, I hope we do get to ride together one day though!

All the best and although I'm surprised that it didn't work out initially, I hope you can find some sort of solution as, I myself, have had nothing but great things to say about my dealings with Yeti and their warranty department.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

What is the problem with these frames that necessitates getting into a warranty claim in the first place?

Honestly, I would like to know - I'm due for a new frame soon and the SB95 is definitely on my list.

I see the OP obviously has pretty bad flex issue with the rear triangle but what is the cause of it?

mtbr member
    Sorry you're having issues OP.

I personally have had a good experience with Yeti customer service when it came to a warranty issue with my fork on my 575. Again though, I went through my LBS here that I purchased the bike from and everything was handled quickly and painlessly.

Hope you get it figured out!
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    I had a feeling that this was the case
    Almost always is, two sides to everything.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom) View Post
    What is the problem with these frames that necessitates getting into a warranty claim in the first place?

Honestly, I would like to know - I'm due for a new frame soon and the SB95 is definitely on my list.

I see the OP obviously has pretty bad flex issue with the rear triangle but what is the cause of it?
    I'm happy to say (but gutted for Kel!) that mine does not do this, I know, I just ran into my garage to check in a state of panic! The SB95c is probably the most stiff bike I've owned and ridden.

My personal experience was a freak case of flaky lacquer which was handled quickly and efficiently by Yeti and the UK importer. It was not the same issue as Kelstr has experienced, it was a one off and I couldn't be happier with the results.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All-

I had a lot of back and forth with Matt this morning about this issue.

Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video. And while it's always fun to watch a good ol' internet fight break out, on behalf of Yeti, I'd rather take the high road here, and just apologize that we did not meet Kelstr/Kelly's expectations and wish him all the best.

In Matt's personal defense, he showed me a time/date-stamped email transcript of more than 10 messages he sent to Kelly answering every question that was asked. I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet, so I'll give Kelstr the benefit of the doubt here and assume he must have a hyperactive spam filter that prevented these messages from being delivered.

At the end of the day, we're proud of our reputation for superb customer service, and countless emails, phone calls, and posts in these very pages support this claim. In this particular instance, we went well beyond our contractual warranty obligations and made offers that were not accepted. That's a bummer, but we respect the customer's decision and wish him well in the future.

Peace guys,

JP
    JP,

Respectfully, I appreciate the dialogue but Matt DID NOT answer all of my emails and that was a large part of my frustration. My integrity is very much in tact in being honest as to my side of the story. I also have all copies of emails. I will also take the high road and not even say how I feel about my integrity being impugned over falsehoods. I am in no way shape or form trying to start an internet war. I would just like a fair resolution. I am a dedicated mnt biker that feels that he has been thrown under the bus and blackballed to resolve a legitimate warranty issue.

On two occasions, my bike was in the LBS for review of the warranty issue. I must have a misunderstanding of your contractual warranty obligations. I was told by the LBS message conveyed by Matt that the paint flake on the rear triangle was caused from a crash and for $600.00 I would be sent a new rear triangle. My warranty issue is flex in the switch pivot portion of the frame and the rear triangle.

The offers that were made and not accepted would not have fixed my bike. That to me is unacceptable. I am glad to hear that others are getting premier customer service and are happy but unfortunately that has not been my experience as of yet. Thank you JP for responding and hearing my concerns

Kelly

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

No more Yeti for me .

Eye opening thread. I would have assumed that if you pay for a premium frame you would expect premium service not to have your integrity questioned.

Extremely poor form.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast