mtbr member

No more DH team for Yeti

Haven't seen this posted yet but very interesting. Yeti is going full Enduro this year with Graves and Rude. So no more downhill Yeti team sadly. I will miss rooting for Yeti at the DH races but will be fun to see how they fair in Enduro now. Graves and Rude will dominate I think.

Yeti Cycles Going Full Enduro For 2014 - Pinkbike
    Last edited by Andrew8404; 01-20-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Before this thread blows up, a few quick notes:

1. Richie chose to ride enduro. We gave him a few options and he liked the idea of focusing on enduro for several reasons, one of which being that it's more similar to the riding available around his home in Connecticut. As you all know, that guy is an absolute animal, and I for one cannot wait to see what he can do in an enduro race.

2. We still love DH, still ride DH, and will still produce a DH bike. In fact, I've seen some protos of our next DH bike which will replace the 303WC someday. Y'all will crap yourselves when you see it.

3. Hannah Barnes is riding for Yeti UK. We'll be supporting her at a number of races, but please note that a lot of her sponsors are different from our factory team and reflect the fact that she'll be on a slightly different schedule for 2014.

4. The main reason for the switch is that we're a small company with a finite budget. We obviously have riders and product who can dominate in both disciplines, but we simply can't afford to send two full teams all over the globe. Right now, enduro is a better return on our investment, so we're pursuing that.

5. We came to a very amicable parting of ways with Cam, and we wish him the very best for 2014 and beyond. We're sure he'll have a great season, and we'll be cheering him on the whole way.

6. I can't believe I'm posting on MTBR a half hour after I was supposed to be done for the day, and while I still have a ton of emails to do. Goodnight!

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Before this thread blows up, a few quick notes:

2. We still love DH, still ride DH, and will still produce a DH bike. In fact, I've seen some protos of our next DH bike which will replace the 303WC someday. Y'all will crap yourselves when you see it.
    Nope I be pissed, bro! I all will crap myself when I have to part with the 303wc frame for peanuts, flogging it in the classifieds to broke kids offering me a used set of Minions, a broken seat dropper, a PS3 and a bag of hash.

Yes I'll no doubt be ready to spend more wad on the best newest koolest DH frame on the market.

j/k

Do what you gotta do to keep making fine mountain cycles. That is #1 rule.

I'll be here, riding my Yeti, having a good time. Just please wait....oh say 3 more seasons before there's a demand for a new Yeti DH bike. K? Maybe by that time folks will be going back to this trendy DH scene that's so cool and underground and happening.
    303 WC

two wheel whore
    I saw the responses on pb earlier, the audience in there are a lot younger, I'm assuming.

It's been fun rooting for the small teams like Yeti in downhill. Hopefully enduro will get more coverage over here, but I'm afraid fast-paced racing like downhill are more fun to watch on the screen.

mtbr member
    John P I saw your responses on pinkbike and kudos to you for responding to some of the crazy things people are saying on that forum. I think and hope people on this forum will read things before jumping to conclusions that they have no idea about. I for one am really looking forward to following the Enduro season but sadly I agree with Shmoo and it probably won't get too much coverage over here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    to me this makes sense since most of yeti line up is or could be used in Enduro racing. Just think of the R and D that could come from this and all the new yeti bike possibilities...

We may all benefit...

mtbr member
    its to bad but lets face it- bike companies are going where the big money is. 29er happened, now 650b and endure bikes-

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. While I agree that nothing beats DH from a spectator point of view, we have also found that our customers tend to participate more than stand on the sidelines and watch. Our race teams have always given us some of our best R&D info, and right now, there are a lot more of you doing enduro-type riding than going to the bike park and riding the lifts. We're confident our new focus on enduro will help us refine the segment of our lineup that you all are most interested in.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Not Bad
    Kudos to you John P for stepping up, I for one am excited to see how this pans out over the next season and can completely see why, as a company Yeti decided to concentrate on Enduro, it is where it's at (as Joey said on FB!) and I'd do the same, especially given Jared's and the SB's success at it.

Can't wait to see what's cooking for the new season, all the best!
    2015 Trek Remedy 9.9 27.5" on the way!
    2015 Trek Farley 8
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2014 Cove Hummer 650bj29

Code:

Instagram

mtbr member
    When JP breaks down what Yeti is thinking as a company, their tough decisions just make more sense. Kudos brother.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    I am excited to see what Rude can do against Maes. The shift to Enduro racing makes sense based on where the market is going. It will be difficult for RedBull to televise Enduro races, but if there is enough demand (and it looks like there is plenty) they will figure it out. Plenty of exposure beyond that across the net.

mtbr member
    Makes me wonder if Yeti has a longer travel 650b bike that's ready for release. It seems unlikely that they'd throw all of their money behind a team that's racing on rigs that aren't attracting much consumer interest, (based on JP's post about the demise of the 66) despite the team's success on the 66c last season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Graves mentioned in the video below (after his recent national XC win in Australia) that he has been spending a lot of time on a bike that is something special, and not a 75 or 95. That must be enough to hint a new enduro bike is coming.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...ow,0/sspomer,2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just read the "no more 66 thread" and appears many are all over this. Sorry if that was a repost.