Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

No more 66 from Yeti...

A good reliable source has told me Yeti is stopping sb66 production and what is left in shops inventory should be discounted.
    Here we go, 27.5 and 29 or bust...
    Wonder how long the 303 stays at 26"?
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If true that is a shame, I was looking to get an SB66c in the spring...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Me too, and that's when I heard this news....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    That is surprising, considering how new the SB66 is, and they just added new versions (half-carbon and the comp) this year, and they don't have anything to fill the gap currently - I can't recall Yeti replacing a model outright without at least a year with overlap. I guess if the 66 isn't selling...

On the other hand... I can't think of a single time a "good reliable [unnamed] source" had accurate information on here.

mtbr member
    Odd, seeing as all the Yeti "Lunch-ride" bikes are sweet 66's.

Our Process: The Lunch Ride - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Well shucks
    Last edited by promtnoutfitters; 12-23-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: I was wrong
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I agree, and I do hope the intel is wrong (doubtful...), but with Comp. Cyclist blowing out there stock of 66 in aluminum and Carbon, it doesn't look promising....
    I am with you, I hope they keep producing the best 26 wheel bike out there, and true all the employees ride 66c on that vid. That was my response, "What, that's what the employees all ride!"
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Hahaa, don't see that happening in a while. I understood that Jared Graves had been testing some 27,5" prototypes this year but so far there were no news about new releases. I believe they will continue this year with SB66 and release the 27,5" versions later in 2014..

mtbr member
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all. Yeti is probably getting ahead of it now and will roll out a 76 or 77 shortly to compliment the 75.

mtbr member
    I really feel like buying a couple frames just to have them. If they do discontinue it I'm sure whatever replaces it will be better. They aren't known for taking steps back.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    And that's why I bought a 66c in September...Figure it's going to be my last 26" Yeti. Now if I can just get rid of my Al 66

Oni

AKA shitbird
    On one hand, if this is true I'm bummed. I have a 66c that I absolutely love and at this point have little interest in changing to anything else. However, I work in a shop and very few people are interested in 26" bikes at all. Our shop has no plans to stock anything 26" moving forward with the exception of DH bikes and Dirt jumpers. We have no hate for 26" but if there isn't any demand...
    JRA

Tribe Member
    Damn it man....Ready to pull the trigger on either a 26" 575 or an SB66. Now I need to rethink the bike purchase again.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    It would be a good thing to see the SB66 transform into 27,5" version already now, but how probable that is - I don't know. Eventually it's going to happen in 2014. Maybe they've had to push the panic button if the 26" sales numbers have decreased dramatically. At least I would buy the SB76C(?) immediately..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hate to say it, but I told ya so....
    Some good deals to be had on 66's, get em while ya can, they are going, going....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post
    On one hand, if this is true I'm bummed. I have a 66c that I absolutely love and at this point have little interest in changing to anything else. However, I work in a shop and very few people are interested in 26" bikes at all. Our shop has no plans to stock anything 26" moving forward with the exception of DH bikes and Dirt jumpers. We have no hate for 26" but if there isn't any demand...
    that's kind of interesting. I don't work at a shop but people I've talked to are in... basically 3 camps: have heard of 650 and don't care (probably 90% of riders), haven't tried it but want to (7-8%) and bought a 650 bike and are disappointed or thought it was going to be something it isn't; literally no one I've talked to who has a 650 bike is happy with it, even with the shiny new-bike outlook. Not a huge sample size, just interesting because how often do you ask someone about their new bike and they answer "meh"?

I think it's more that they've been over-promised than under-delivered. Not that I expect 26er sales growing, 29ers do seem to dominate sales around here.

Trail Ninja
    26" bikes going from mainstream to niche in a flash.

Some of the new 27.5 bikes I've demo'd feel rather dead and mute, especially the carbon models. I can't say I really like that. I much prefer a lively and responsive feel, though I do love the speed and control 29ers give. It's actually nice to actually not feel a need to put expensive beefy DH-style (ex. DHF single ply) tires on a bike, which can slow it down big time, just to get the grip to have fun on some trails, despite having all this suspension technology.

There's 3 people who bought Knolly Endos this year who've posted about them in the local forums. Wonder if they're clinging to the past or if there's actually something to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    All manufacturers, including Yeti, blow out inventory at the end of the year.

The 66 is here to stay for another year at least, probably even longer because it's only three years old. I suspect Yeti will add a 27.5, 6 inch bike to the line up in March at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all.
    Bummer how a wheel size not even an inch bigger than 26" can cause so much confusion. But it rolls so much better! (rolls eyes) To those who don't give an F about 650b - great deals for all of us!

mtbr member
    I agree. Spent my own money to do a long term test on 26 vs 29. Outcome was that their times over EVERY type of trail were the same. The problem with most comparisons is that they are not like for like (tires, weight, travel etc). I now have over 200 miles on my 29 that proves this out. They just go about things very differently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    that's kind of interesting. I don't work at a shop but people I've talked to are in... basically 3 camps: have heard of 650 and don't care (probably 90% of riders), haven't tried it but want to (7-8%) and bought a 650 bike and are disappointed or thought it was going to be something it isn't; literally no one I've talked to who has a 650 bike is happy with it, even with the shiny new-bike outlook. Not a huge sample size, just interesting because how often do you ask someone about their new bike and they answer "meh"?

I think it's more that they've been over-promised than under-delivered. Not that I expect 26er sales growing, 29ers do seem to dominate sales around here.
    I watched a video of a big-wig marketing exec from Giant (think it was on Pinkbike) talk about their plans to eventually produce nothing but 27.5 (even phasing out 29).

It's interesting to me how long the 26 was the primary (and only) option, but now like a flash it's almost out of people's mind. Just last year I had a Reign for sale (26" / 6" bike) - I sold it in an hour, literally. I have another one for sale this year, and it's not getting many inquiries at all (although totally different time of year, but I feel the wheel size is part of the issue).

I bought an SB95 recently to just figure it out myself, but I plan to go to the SB75 next. Just wanted to get the 29 on my menu to experience it myself, but right now I don't plan to keep it too long (haven't even ridden it yet).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it JohnP that works for Yeti who posts on here? Who ever it is I will wait for them to say its going away.

If its the case I better jump an a SB66C before I can't.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    Damn it man....Ready to pull the trigger on either a 26" 575 or an SB66. Now I need to rethink the bike purchase again.
    Why? You'll still be able to find either one pretty easily I would assume.

mtbr member
    I built a new bike in March and demo'd several before deciding. I tried 29ers, 650b, and 26". The worst of the bunch, by a longshot, was the 650b. I liked the 29er (surprising, considering I'm 5'6") but I LOVED the 26" ASR-5. That's what I build up.

The 650b was definitely "worst of both worlds."

I'm still mad they dropped the ASR line. So should my next bike be an SB-75? Let's see...4 pounds heavier and the same travel...and a worse ride. And $2000 more. Thanks, Yeti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Boys, like I said, the 66 is all done. No remaining inventory with Yeti.
    It's finito. Purchase what's left on sale at Yeti dealers, once there gone, there gone.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I built a new bike in March and demo'd several before deciding. I tried 29ers, 650b, and 26". The worst of the bunch, by a longshot, was the 650b. I liked the 29er (surprising, considering I'm 5'6") but I LOVED the 26" ASR-5. That's what I build up.

The 650b was definitely "worst of both worlds."

I'm still mad they dropped the ASR line. So should my next bike be an SB-75? Let's see...4 pounds heavier and the same travel...and a worse ride. And $2000 more. Thanks, Yeti.
    Why was the 75 the worst?

I'm really curious to build a 5c for the days I want to throw down a lot of miles...

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Odd, seeing as all the Yeti "Lunch-ride" bikes are sweet 66's.

Our Process: The Lunch Ride - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Sometimes it is hard to pick preference from cutting the losses on unsold stock

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Will Yeti continue to offer replacement parts the SB66C? Maybe a conversion kit (similar to what Ibis is doing for the d/c HD) to a 650b?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all. Yeti is probably getting ahead of it now and will roll out a 76 or 77 shortly to compliment the 75.
    The marketplace is largely syncophants who just follow the marketing hype. Sad but it is reality.

mtbr member
    The SB66 Aluminum was being offered on Chainlove this morning for $1299, all sizes in black and turquoise.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Big bummer. I'm assuming the bump stop in the switch link and pivot bearings are the same for all SB models so there's no need to worry about having those available for the 66 in the future?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yesterday Competitive cyclist had the aluminum sb66 frame for $995.. Today back to $1599

mtbr member
    All the frames (that I've seen) in sale have been 2013 models, that doesn't prove anything so far..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    could it be to free up room for 75C's???

hey not to change the subject here but has anyone agree the the der hangers on the both 66 and 66c is a bit…… it'ty bitty? if the wind blows just right mine is out of adj! and running XX1 it has to be right there, theres no room to be out of line at all…..

LCW
    mtbr member

No more 66 from Yeti...

Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Yesterday Competitive cyclist had the aluminum sb66 frame for $995.. Today back to $1599
    Whaaaat? Holy crap that would have been a STEAL!!

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    I think the future will be
    26: downhill and walmart bikes
    27.5: Trail, enduro, all mountain, and some xc
    29: XC and some trail bikes

27.5 will be the future and we will have to live with it. Just like how you cant find 26" wheels, tires, frames, etc. that are of the same quality as 29ers, 27.5 will have all of the new technology and the 29ers and 26ers will be there but not a major contender.

I love 29 inches and i wish the geometry and technology will continue to expand and refine, but sadly, i think they wont.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

~ Albert Einstein

Tribe Member
    I have done some searching and think that the blowout price on these is because these are the alu front and rear SB66. The Comp SB66 complete bike is built with alu front and rear. I am guessing if you have stock in these you want to get rid of them since Yeti no longer is selling this as a frameset but complete bike only.

Still a rockin deal at any price but would love to get one at $995 at this point. From Yeti's home page of the 66 Comp:

The SB66 COMP is a fully aluminum alloy frame while the SB66 has a alloy front triangle and a high-modulus carbon fiber rear triangle. Additionally the SB66 COMP is offered in one build kit with FOX Racing EVO suspension. This is done specifically to provide our industry leading Switch Technology platform paired with a 26.0 wheels size in an an affordable MTB package.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like that everyone is buying into the "new" wheel sizes... Its allowing me to buy full carbon 26" frames on the cheap!

Before the new wheel sizes, I would only dream about picking up newer frames (ie sb66c) at a blowout price. Now the dream is a reality. Cant wait for my sb66c to come in

But I agree that they are significantly marking down the aluminum sb66's to make room for the new aluminum frames with the carbon rear triangles.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hope it has to do with the new sb66 (alu-carbon).
    my initial thought when i read the title was that they completely stop the line probably due to patent rights (If i remember correctly the switch patent was for 3 years??)

anyway I hope Santa will get me the "old" sb66 at a great price...

Long live the ASR-7
    Chainlove just listed a complete 66 Comp bike. Pretty sure 2014 is the only year they packaged the Comp. $1740 for a complete bike is a lot cheaper than the original aluminum frame cost.

undercover brother
    Yeti Cycles / Home

If it is the case, Yeti are hypocrits.

Your bike sucks
    Chainlove did the frame only for $1165 just a few min ago btw...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have anymore details on this? Jenson and Competitve Cyclist have almost nothing for 2014 models. All 66s are 30% off. Something strange is up... maybe I should stockpile a few.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    Anyone have anymore details on this? Jenson and Competitve Cyclist have almost nothing for 2014 models. All 66s are 30% off. Something strange is up... maybe I should stockpile a few.
    Bottom line, Yeti is discontinuing the 66 platform....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Bottom line, Yeti is discontinuing the 66 platform....
    Well of course they are...at some point. The question is when. Do you know the answer?

mtbr member
    Any word out there from dealers? Can we still get frames from bike shops for a while? If I'm going to fall in love with my current 66 I'm going to want a spare. Not sure if I should go farther in debt now to get another or can I wait until summer and still get the size/color I need?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thru a friend who has a sb75 on order thru lbs said the lbs called yeti and yeti confirmed the death of sb66.... Take it for what u will

mtbr member
    I've absolutely no interest in an SB-75 or SB-95

So as a minority 26" rider am I deliberately being frozen out of the market?

I really don't get it, to be honest. Consumer choice, no?

Guess I'll be picking up a lightly used SB-66c in spring.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbar View Post
    I've absolutely no interest in an SB-75 or SB-95

So as a minority 26" rider am I deliberately being frozen out of the market?

I really don't get it, to be honest. Consumer choice, no?

Guess I'll be picking up a lightly used SB-66c in spring.

Hold on, dude! Nobody has confirmed that the SB66C will be out of production, only the SB66A. Lets see whats to come.

Like you, my preference is 26" and have my hopes on getting a SB66C this year. I prefer to buy brandnew to have the full warranty.
    Last edited by mtb_tico; 01-07-2014 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone catch the Bike "Bible of Bike Tests". Landed in my mailbox yesterday. They kinda crapped on the SB75 -- basically said not as good as the 66 or the 95

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast