Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

No more 66 from Yeti...

A good reliable source has told me Yeti is stopping sb66 production and what is left in shops inventory should be discounted.
    Here we go, 27.5 and 29 or bust...
    Wonder how long the 303 stays at 26"?
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If true that is a shame, I was looking to get an SB66c in the spring...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Me too, and that's when I heard this news....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    That is surprising, considering how new the SB66 is, and they just added new versions (half-carbon and the comp) this year, and they don't have anything to fill the gap currently - I can't recall Yeti replacing a model outright without at least a year with overlap. I guess if the 66 isn't selling...

On the other hand... I can't think of a single time a "good reliable [unnamed] source" had accurate information on here.

mtbr member
    Odd, seeing as all the Yeti "Lunch-ride" bikes are sweet 66's.

Our Process: The Lunch Ride - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-23-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Well shucks
    Last edited by promtnoutfitters; 12-23-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I was wrong
    Pro Mountain Outfitters
    www.promountainoutfitters.com

Like us on FaceBook

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I agree, and I do hope the intel is wrong (doubtful...), but with Comp. Cyclist blowing out there stock of 66 in aluminum and Carbon, it doesn't look promising....
    I am with you, I hope they keep producing the best 26 wheel bike out there, and true all the employees ride 66c on that vid. That was my response, "What, that's what the employees all ride!"
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Hahaa, don't see that happening in a while. I understood that Jared Graves had been testing some 27,5" prototypes this year but so far there were no news about new releases. I believe they will continue this year with SB66 and release the 27,5" versions later in 2014..

mtbr member
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all. Yeti is probably getting ahead of it now and will roll out a 76 or 77 shortly to compliment the 75.

mtbr member
    I really feel like buying a couple frames just to have them. If they do discontinue it I'm sure whatever replaces it will be better. They aren't known for taking steps back.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    And that's why I bought a 66c in September...Figure it's going to be my last 26" Yeti. Now if I can just get rid of my Al 66

Oni

AKA shitbird
    On one hand, if this is true I'm bummed. I have a 66c that I absolutely love and at this point have little interest in changing to anything else. However, I work in a shop and very few people are interested in 26" bikes at all. Our shop has no plans to stock anything 26" moving forward with the exception of DH bikes and Dirt jumpers. We have no hate for 26" but if there isn't any demand...
    JRA

Tribe Member
    Damn it man....Ready to pull the trigger on either a 26" 575 or an SB66. Now I need to rethink the bike purchase again.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    It would be a good thing to see the SB66 transform into 27,5" version already now, but how probable that is - I don't know. Eventually it's going to happen in 2014. Maybe they've had to push the panic button if the 26" sales numbers have decreased dramatically. At least I would buy the SB76C(?) immediately..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hate to say it, but I told ya so....
    Some good deals to be had on 66's, get em while ya can, they are going, going....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post
    On one hand, if this is true I'm bummed. I have a 66c that I absolutely love and at this point have little interest in changing to anything else. However, I work in a shop and very few people are interested in 26" bikes at all. Our shop has no plans to stock anything 26" moving forward with the exception of DH bikes and Dirt jumpers. We have no hate for 26" but if there isn't any demand...
    that's kind of interesting. I don't work at a shop but people I've talked to are in... basically 3 camps: have heard of 650 and don't care (probably 90% of riders), haven't tried it but want to (7-8%) and bought a 650 bike and are disappointed or thought it was going to be something it isn't; literally no one I've talked to who has a 650 bike is happy with it, even with the shiny new-bike outlook. Not a huge sample size, just interesting because how often do you ask someone about their new bike and they answer "meh"?

I think it's more that they've been over-promised than under-delivered. Not that I expect 26er sales growing, 29ers do seem to dominate sales around here.

Trail Ninja
    26" bikes going from mainstream to niche in a flash.

Some of the new 27.5 bikes I've demo'd feel rather dead and mute, especially the carbon models. I can't say I really like that. I much prefer a lively and responsive feel, though I do love the speed and control 29ers give. It's actually nice to actually not feel a need to put expensive beefy DH-style (ex. DHF single ply) tires on a bike, which can slow it down big time, just to get the grip to have fun on some trails, despite having all this suspension technology.

There's 3 people who bought Knolly Endos this year who've posted about them in the local forums. Wonder if they're clinging to the past or if there's actually something to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    All manufacturers, including Yeti, blow out inventory at the end of the year.

The 66 is here to stay for another year at least, probably even longer because it's only three years old. I suspect Yeti will add a 27.5, 6 inch bike to the line up in March at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all.
    Bummer how a wheel size not even an inch bigger than 26" can cause so much confusion. But it rolls so much better! (rolls eyes) To those who don't give an F about 650b - great deals for all of us!

mtbr member
    I agree. Spent my own money to do a long term test on 26 vs 29. Outcome was that their times over EVERY type of trail were the same. The problem with most comparisons is that they are not like for like (tires, weight, travel etc). I now have over 200 miles on my 29 that proves this out. They just go about things very differently.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    that's kind of interesting. I don't work at a shop but people I've talked to are in... basically 3 camps: have heard of 650 and don't care (probably 90% of riders), haven't tried it but want to (7-8%) and bought a 650 bike and are disappointed or thought it was going to be something it isn't; literally no one I've talked to who has a 650 bike is happy with it, even with the shiny new-bike outlook. Not a huge sample size, just interesting because how often do you ask someone about their new bike and they answer "meh"?

I think it's more that they've been over-promised than under-delivered. Not that I expect 26er sales growing, 29ers do seem to dominate sales around here.
    I watched a video of a big-wig marketing exec from Giant (think it was on Pinkbike) talk about their plans to eventually produce nothing but 27.5 (even phasing out 29).

It's interesting to me how long the 26 was the primary (and only) option, but now like a flash it's almost out of people's mind. Just last year I had a Reign for sale (26" / 6" bike) - I sold it in an hour, literally. I have another one for sale this year, and it's not getting many inquiries at all (although totally different time of year, but I feel the wheel size is part of the issue).

I bought an SB95 recently to just figure it out myself, but I plan to go to the SB75 next. Just wanted to get the 29 on my menu to experience it myself, but right now I don't plan to keep it too long (haven't even ridden it yet).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it JohnP that works for Yeti who posts on here? Who ever it is I will wait for them to say its going away.

If its the case I better jump an a SB66C before I can't.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    Damn it man....Ready to pull the trigger on either a 26" 575 or an SB66. Now I need to rethink the bike purchase again.
    Why? You'll still be able to find either one pretty easily I would assume.

mtbr member
    I built a new bike in March and demo'd several before deciding. I tried 29ers, 650b, and 26". The worst of the bunch, by a longshot, was the 650b. I liked the 29er (surprising, considering I'm 5'6") but I LOVED the 26" ASR-5. That's what I build up.

The 650b was definitely "worst of both worlds."

I'm still mad they dropped the ASR line. So should my next bike be an SB-75? Let's see...4 pounds heavier and the same travel...and a worse ride. And $2000 more. Thanks, Yeti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Boys, like I said, the 66 is all done. No remaining inventory with Yeti.
    It's finito. Purchase what's left on sale at Yeti dealers, once there gone, there gone.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I built a new bike in March and demo'd several before deciding. I tried 29ers, 650b, and 26". The worst of the bunch, by a longshot, was the 650b. I liked the 29er (surprising, considering I'm 5'6") but I LOVED the 26" ASR-5. That's what I build up.

The 650b was definitely "worst of both worlds."

I'm still mad they dropped the ASR line. So should my next bike be an SB-75? Let's see...4 pounds heavier and the same travel...and a worse ride. And $2000 more. Thanks, Yeti.
    Why was the 75 the worst?

I'm really curious to build a 5c for the days I want to throw down a lot of miles...

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Odd, seeing as all the Yeti "Lunch-ride" bikes are sweet 66's.

Our Process: The Lunch Ride - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Sometimes it is hard to pick preference from cutting the losses on unsold stock

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Will Yeti continue to offer replacement parts the SB66C? Maybe a conversion kit (similar to what Ibis is doing for the d/c HD) to a 650b?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The sad news is that any 26 bikes on dealer floors are not moving at all. Yeti is probably getting ahead of it now and will roll out a 76 or 77 shortly to compliment the 75.
    The marketplace is largely syncophants who just follow the marketing hype. Sad but it is reality.

mtbr member
    The SB66 Aluminum was being offered on Chainlove this morning for $1299, all sizes in black and turquoise.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Big bummer. I'm assuming the bump stop in the switch link and pivot bearings are the same for all SB models so there's no need to worry about having those available for the 66 in the future?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yesterday Competitive cyclist had the aluminum sb66 frame for $995.. Today back to $1599

mtbr member
    All the frames (that I've seen) in sale have been 2013 models, that doesn't prove anything so far..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    could it be to free up room for 75C's???

hey not to change the subject here but has anyone agree the the der hangers on the both 66 and 66c is a bit…… it'ty bitty? if the wind blows just right mine is out of adj! and running XX1 it has to be right there, theres no room to be out of line at all…..

LCW
    mtbr member

No more 66 from Yeti...

Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Yesterday Competitive cyclist had the aluminum sb66 frame for $995.. Today back to $1599
    Whaaaat? Holy crap that would have been a STEAL!!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    I think the future will be
    26: downhill and walmart bikes
    27.5: Trail, enduro, all mountain, and some xc
    29: XC and some trail bikes

27.5 will be the future and we will have to live with it. Just like how you cant find 26" wheels, tires, frames, etc. that are of the same quality as 29ers, 27.5 will have all of the new technology and the 29ers and 26ers will be there but not a major contender.

I love 29 inches and i wish the geometry and technology will continue to expand and refine, but sadly, i think they wont.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

~ Albert Einstein

Tribe Member
    I have done some searching and think that the blowout price on these is because these are the alu front and rear SB66. The Comp SB66 complete bike is built with alu front and rear. I am guessing if you have stock in these you want to get rid of them since Yeti no longer is selling this as a frameset but complete bike only.

Still a rockin deal at any price but would love to get one at $995 at this point. From Yeti's home page of the 66 Comp:

The SB66 COMP is a fully aluminum alloy frame while the SB66 has a alloy front triangle and a high-modulus carbon fiber rear triangle. Additionally the SB66 COMP is offered in one build kit with FOX Racing EVO suspension. This is done specifically to provide our industry leading Switch Technology platform paired with a 26.0 wheels size in an an affordable MTB package.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like that everyone is buying into the "new" wheel sizes... Its allowing me to buy full carbon 26" frames on the cheap!

Before the new wheel sizes, I would only dream about picking up newer frames (ie sb66c) at a blowout price. Now the dream is a reality. Cant wait for my sb66c to come in

But I agree that they are significantly marking down the aluminum sb66's to make room for the new aluminum frames with the carbon rear triangles.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hope it has to do with the new sb66 (alu-carbon).
    my initial thought when i read the title was that they completely stop the line probably due to patent rights (If i remember correctly the switch patent was for 3 years??)

anyway I hope Santa will get me the "old" sb66 at a great price...

Long live the ASR-7
    Chainlove just listed a complete 66 Comp bike. Pretty sure 2014 is the only year they packaged the Comp. $1740 for a complete bike is a lot cheaper than the original aluminum frame cost.

undercover brother
    Yeti Cycles / Home

If it is the case, Yeti are hypocrits.

Your bike sucks
    Chainlove did the frame only for $1165 just a few min ago btw...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have anymore details on this? Jenson and Competitve Cyclist have almost nothing for 2014 models. All 66s are 30% off. Something strange is up... maybe I should stockpile a few.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by m1neral View Post
    Anyone have anymore details on this? Jenson and Competitve Cyclist have almost nothing for 2014 models. All 66s are 30% off. Something strange is up... maybe I should stockpile a few.
    Bottom line, Yeti is discontinuing the 66 platform....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Bottom line, Yeti is discontinuing the 66 platform....
    Well of course they are...at some point. The question is when. Do you know the answer?

mtbr member
    Any word out there from dealers? Can we still get frames from bike shops for a while? If I'm going to fall in love with my current 66 I'm going to want a spare. Not sure if I should go farther in debt now to get another or can I wait until summer and still get the size/color I need?

mtbr member
    Thru a friend who has a sb75 on order thru lbs said the lbs called yeti and yeti confirmed the death of sb66.... Take it for what u will

mtbr member
    I've absolutely no interest in an SB-75 or SB-95

So as a minority 26" rider am I deliberately being frozen out of the market?

I really don't get it, to be honest. Consumer choice, no?

Guess I'll be picking up a lightly used SB-66c in spring.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbar View Post
    I've absolutely no interest in an SB-75 or SB-95

So as a minority 26" rider am I deliberately being frozen out of the market?

I really don't get it, to be honest. Consumer choice, no?

Guess I'll be picking up a lightly used SB-66c in spring.

Hold on, dude! Nobody has confirmed that the SB66C will be out of production, only the SB66A. Lets see whats to come.

Like you, my preference is 26" and have my hopes on getting a SB66C this year. I prefer to buy brandnew to have the full warranty.
    Last edited by mtb_tico; 01-07-2014 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone catch the Bike "Bible of Bike Tests". Landed in my mailbox yesterday. They kinda crapped on the SB75 -- basically said not as good as the 66 or the 95

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_tico View Post
    Hold on, dude! Nobody has confirmed that the SB66C will be out of production, only the SB66A. Lets see whats to come.

Like you, my preference is 26" and have my hopes on getting a SB66C this year. I prefer to buy brandnew to have the full warranty.
    Ah cool the truth eluded me in all the drama/panic. Thanks for clarifying.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbar View Post
    Ah cool the truth eluded me in all the drama/panic. Thanks for clarifying.
    and from what I've seen in this thread the closest anyone's come to confirming anything is a guy who has a friend who knows someone who talked to a bike shop who called Yeti. You might make purchasing decisions based on that, I'll wait till.. for example Yeti pulls the 66 from their web site (previously discontinued models have disappeared from there long before they weren't available at dealers).
    Or JohnP could let us know the scoop.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    and from what I've seen in this thread the closest anyone's come to confirming anything is a guy who has a friend who knows someone who talked to a bike shop who called Yeti. You might make purchasing decisions based on that, I'll wait till.. for example Yeti pulls the 66 from their web site (previously discontinued models have disappeared from there long before they weren't available at dealers).
    Or JohnP could let us know the scoop.
    Why doesn't someone just email Yeti and ask? Wonder if they'll fess up....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Why doesn't someone just email Yeti and ask? Wonder if they'll fess up....
    That's a great idea, but then there'd be no more e-drama and the internet would invert itself.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't have definitive proof from Yeti myself. But I have heard from a LBS (Yeti dealer) that all remaining 66's, carbon and Aluminum should be discounted and sold off. No more in stock at Yeti Headquarters.
    Take it for what you will....
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

Tribe Member
    I would call them right now but it's 1130am here in Colorado. They are currently on the lunch ride riding around on their 66's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You've got to know Yeti is rushing to get a 6" 27.5 to market, they had better do it soon in the next few months by spring. Its even been said, here somewhere I believe, that the 66 was a huge seller for them in 2012, but not in 2013 when everyone was starting to buy up the 27s.

Now this one is total rumour but apparently they're working on a new 6' platform a la 303 rail system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Now this one is total rumour but apparently they're working on a new 6' platform a la 303 rail system.
    That would not be a shocker, really.

Now the 303 system is refined, it would work well for a 6" AM shredder bike that could really handle the rough terrain. If that 6" bike was really aimed at the gravity side of things, it would rip.

I can testify that the latest 303 system is just stunning. The near vertical rear wheel path is a massive win. Not sure how it would be linked to a decent AM pedalling platform (I failed e-engineering) but it would really make a lot of sense as a package.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    And you thought people complained about the weight of the 66?

I wonder if all this is just to help sell off the current stock of 66 and make room for the 2014?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I wonder if all this is just to help sell off the current stock of 66 and make room for the 2014?
    I am confuse.

It makes sense to dispose of stock if it's just not moving (probably true).

It doesn't make sense to reduce the value of your brand, negatively affect potential new bike purchase value, and definitely negatively impact used price. And the negative vibe spreads a little further across the brand than just the specific frame being discounted.

BUT a 3-4 month window of time to remove dead stock, pull in some necessary $, and refocus on the supply chain is also very sensible.

Too much confuse. I'm sure they'll do the right thing.
    303 WC

mtbr member
    I'm sure they'll do the right thing.
    here's to hoping.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Guys-

Seems like everyone is all fired up here. I'd love to give you insight into all of our future plans and the cool bikes we're working on, but I'd probably get fired. I'll do my best to set the record straight, but please understand that I'm bound by a certain degree of confidentiality that allows us to keep our competitive advantage.

Regarding 26ers in general, our staff as a whole loves them. There are a few 29er and 650B guys in the office, but most of us currently ride 66's on a day to day basis because we love its performance and versatility.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the first few 27.5's I rode, mostly because they were bikes that were originally designed to fit 26" wheels, but they somehow squeezed some 27.5's in there (bolt-on dropouts, etc.). These bikes handled poorly due to the high BB and wacky geometry that often occurs from after-thought solutions like that, and they never felt like they took advantage of the larger wheel format. Once I finally started to ride bikes that were designed from scratch for 27.5's, I was damn impressed. I really like the 75, and I'm even more excited about some other bikes we have in development.

As some other shop guys have stated in this thread, an interesting thing happened toward the end of 2013 - despite all of you guys (and us here at Yeti!) professing love for 26ers, tangible demand for that wheel size fell off a cliff. In our domestic preseason bookings, in which we literally book hundreds/thousands of bikes for shops, demand for our 26ers was almost zero. Literally, there were less than a dozen 66's on order nationwide. Yikes. Meanwhile, demand on the 75 and 575 (both 650B bikes) was off the charts.

At the end of the day, we have to stay in business, and the way to do that is to sell bikes (duh). We're currently moving through our back stock on 66's, and if demand for that bike suddenly spikes again, we'd be more than happy to ramp production back up. In the meantime, we are finishing up some incredibly cool models that have been in development for almost 3 years now, and they are going to knock you on your ass when you see them. We're not going to release details until these suckers are ready to ship, but remember how nuts everyone went when we first released the SB? Expect to get that excited once again.

In any event, I know this is long winded and vague, but I hope it gives you a little clarity on what we're doing and where we're going. It's funny . . . if nothing else, Yeti should have a pretty strong reputation for innovation and producing high-end, badass bikes (it's literally all we've done for 28+ years now!), but some people out there seem to have little faith in us for some reason ("hypocrites", sarcastic "thanks" notes, etc.). It's all good though - we understand that we're only as good as our last model, and that's why we'll continue to bust our butts to make great bikes and give you the best service.

Peace, guys!

John P.

tl;dr Summary: We love 26ers, but demand is very low; we're working on some cool new stuff.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for clarifying John.

As someone who recently purchased a 66, how will warranties be managed? Will there be spares in stock in such case? Will I have to worry about spare parts 5 years down the line?

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by mikodipo View Post
    Thanks for clarifying John.

As someone who recently purchased a 66, how will warranties be managed?
    The same that all our other warranties are managed - quickly, fairly, and professionally.
    Will there be spares in stock in such case?
    Nah, we're just going to hang all you guys out to dry like we always do. ;-) ...Of course we'll have spares!
    Will I have to worry about spare parts 5 years down the line?
    No. I was looking the other day and noticed we have parts for bikes we produced back in '01! That being said, if you're a doomsday (bike) prepper like me, I'd go ahead and pick up a rebuild kit just so you don't ever have to worry about it. At the very least, it will be a nice add-on when you go to re-sell your 66 a few years down the road.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Guys-
    /snip
    Summary: We love 26ers, but demand is very low; we're working on some cool new stuff.
    That's a good reply. Appreciated. This wouldn't be the first time a really effective wheel platform fell by the wayside due to market demand. Hate to admit that sometimes the niche' gets it right but no matter how beloved or applicable it is to those few, the market doesn't react accordingly and a business must adjust. It's reality. Good luck with the new models.

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifying the situation! That's good news. Can't wait for the new Yeti beauties..

mtbr member
    Bad news is better than no news I guess.

But really, if the new bike is going to be as good as the SB was why wouldn't we want to move forward? It's just tough to swallow for those of us that jut got on the SB platform this year.

Also, If the 66 is dead and he is saying to "buy a rebuild kit just to have" does that mean that the SB75 will be a one year run? Don't they share all the same hardware? Or atleast the big stuff (eccentric, through bolts, misc. hardware)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Bad news is better than no news I guess.

But really, if the new bike is going to be as good as the SB was why wouldn't we want to move forward? It's just tough to swallow for those of us that jut got on the SB platform this year.

Also, If the 66 is dead and he is saying to "buy a rebuild kit just to have" does that mean that the SB75 will be a one year run? Don't they share all the same hardware? Or atleast the big stuff (eccentric, through bolts, misc. hardware)
    I'm fine with them discontinuing the SB66 even though I literally got my SB66c two weeks ago. The reason is that I truly think that this bike was made for my riding style and it is a blast to ride.

As long as they continue to provide hardware, replacements, and support, then I'm totally content.

mtbr member
    Dang -- sounds like I should have held out for an even better deal on the 66 frame I just got from ChainLove!

Thanks for clarifying, John. Looking forward to seeing the new stuff

mtbr member
    I'm fine with them discontinuing the SB66 even though I literally got my SB66c two weeks ago. The reason is that I truly think that this bike was made for my riding style and it is a blast to ride.

As long as they continue to provide hardware, replacements, and support, then I'm totally content.
    I just bought a 66c this week and took it on my first ride today. So far I'm in love with it and couldn't be any happier. The 650b intrigues me but no need to buy into all that hype! This bike rocks and no one buying allowed me to get it for a super amazing price! So please everyone keep buying 27 and 29er stuff so I can add some carbon wheels to my bike for cheap too! I'm excited to see the new stuff Yeti has in store but sad it had to come to this!

Tribe Member
    So maybe my deal from ChainLove was all for not? HELL NO! This platform is one of the best around. Big wheels might be great in some parts of the world but not all. I have plenty of buddies that have 29ers and they like them unless the road goes up for a long time like the climbs here in CO do. Plus, I am to short to ride one of the "wonder - do everything - greatest wheel size ever - marketing hype - look at me I'm new and shiney" bikes that have come out. Long live 26" wheels.....

Your bike sucks
    Color me as an opportunist but a bit of a market rejection like this creates a sweet opportunity to get a new bike that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to justify. Be it last years 26'' 575 or SB66 - either way, the depreciation brings it into reach for many of us who don't care about the extra 1'' of wheel size. Trends will ebb and flow: Buy low, sell high or just hold!

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    This is all very similar to what has happened in the off road motorcycle world. The EPA began to threaten the existence of the 2-stroke motorcycle, so Yamaha began producing the first (kinda) MX 4 stroke. After a lot of development (a TON), they are now dominating professional racing. The 2 stroke is nearly extinct at the professional MX level (still alive in off-road).

But, and to my point, for the average consumer, 2-strokes are making a very strong comeback because they are FUN. People LOVE to ride them when the fun-factor is their primary concern. Sound familiar?

Could happen with the 26, who knows.
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 01-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Great response John, thanks for clarifying.

mtbr member
    The same that all our other warranties are managed - quickly, fairly, and professionally.

Nah, we're just going to hang all you guys out to dry like we always do. ;-) ...Of course we'll have spares!

No. I was looking the other day and noticed we have parts for bikes we produced back in '01! That being said, if you're a doomsday (bike) prepper like me, I'd go ahead and pick up a rebuild kit just so you don't ever have to worry about it. At the very least, it will be a nice add-on when you go to re-sell your 66 a few years down the road.
    Now I'm really confused. I'd better change the ship date on my SB75 until after sea otter. Thanks for the info John, but you're making it sound like the sb75 is a band aide until this new platform comes out.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    In any event, I know this is long winded and vague, but I hope it gives you a little clarity on what we're doing and where we're going.
    Not vague at all. A really good answer that puts to rest the question at hand. I'm disappointed because I think 650 is kind of stupid, but that's what "we" are asking for, so that's what we get.

thanks for the insight

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by SicBith View Post
    Now I'm really confused. I'd better change the ship date on my SB75 until after sea otter. Thanks for the info John, but you're making it sound like the sb75 is a band aide until this new platform comes out.
    Huh? I'm not sure where you got that impression or the idea there's going to be something new at Sea Otter, but the 75 is only a band aide as much as any consumer product is a band aide between whatever came before it and whatever might come after it. Things are constantly evolving, and the fact that something new is always going to be coming down the road doesn't diminish the quality of what's already here.

We can dip our toes in the pool and test the water forever, or we can decide it's a lot more fun to be in there splashing around. Jump in and have a swim!

JP

mtbr member
    Huh? I'm not sure where you got that impression or the idea there's going to be something new at Sea Otter, but the 75 is only a band aide as much as any consumer product is a band aide between whatever came before it and whatever might come after it. Things are constantly evolving, and the fact that something new is always going to be coming down the road doesn't diminish the quality of what's already here.

We can dip our toes in the pool and test the water forever, or we can decide it's a lot more fun to be in there splashing around. Jump in and have a swim!

JP
    Here's the deal... I'm buying a SB75 to replace my 575. I want a trail/3hr + ride bike as I have a 29 hard tail in the quiver. I ask the dealer to order it based on riding a buddies SB95 for 30min on south table. What I really want is a 6" travel SB75 (76). My sb75 is suppose to be here in March, but "if" and I know it is a big "if" but say Yeti does introduce a 6" travel or carbon tail SB at Sea Otter I'm going to be back in your dealers shop asking to exchange a new bike (still in the box) for the sb76. Your advice? I'm not going to wait a year for it, but I'll wait 2months. Thanks for addressing my band aide comment.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Here's the deal... I'm buying a SB75 to replace my 575. I want a trail/3hr + ride bike as I have a 29 hard tail in the quiver. I ask the dealer to order it based on riding a buddies SB95 for 30min on south table. What I really want is a 6" travel SB75 (76). My sb75 is suppose to be here in March, but "if" and I know it is a big "if" but say Yeti does introduce a 6" travel or carbon tail SB at Sea Otter I'm going to be back in your dealers shop asking to exchange a new bike (still in the box) for the sb76. Your advice? I'm not going to wait a year for it, but I'll wait 2months. Thanks for addressing my band aide comment.
    Sorry, man. Asking me to give dates when we're releasing new products and what those products are going to be is like asking me for my ATM PIN code. It's not going to happen.

The 75's a great bike. My advice? If it's not exactly what you want, roll the dice with something else. I'd hate to lose you as a customer, but I'd rather see you on a bike you love than on a Yeti that you're only half-hearted about.

JP

mtbr member
    I'll trade you my ATM pin for sb76 info...pm me. Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This thread makes me consider the following setup:
    SB66c with 650b fork and front wheel and perhaps a angle set to keep it low.
    Would theoretically be able to give a light bike with the slightly larger front wheel advantages but with short chainstays light and rigid rear at a great price!
    Am I wrong? Does anyone have experience to share?

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybear View Post
    Does anyone have experience to share?
    No direct experience with this set-up but lots o lots of experience with 69ers. Love the mixed wheel size platform.

Anyway, there's quite a few threads on 575 650b setups. General consensus is you'll get 75-90% of the benefit of larger wheel from front alone. My experience mirrors this - even to the effect of preferring the smaller rear for geometry and other handling characteristics. YMMV.

My long term desire is for a 27.5/26 5.5 to 6'' trail bike to use the Fox 34 Talas I have and experiment.

I like to tinker so if you're going to play around w/ anglesets, a2c, offsets/trail/rake it's good to have that tolerance and interest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Whatever you take from the information, you have to love the honest, direct talk from John/Yeti.

Kudos to him, and a great reminder why buying from a small company made up of passionate riders is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty Bits View Post
    Whatever you take from the information, you have to love the honest, direct talk from John/Yeti.

Kudos to him, and a great reminder why buying from a small company made up of passionate riders is the way to go.
    I agree 100%. Props to him for reaching out to us on the forum. I'm sure he has a lot of stuff on his plate and posting online is certainly a time suck on his day.
    Thanks JP

mtbr member
    I agree 100%. Props to him for reaching out to us on the forum. I'm sure he has a lot of stuff on his plate and posting online is certainly a time suck on his day.
    Thanks JP

would appreciate more of John P or any other yeti employee activity on this forum

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    would appreciate more of John P or any other yeti employee activity on this forum
    Me too!

Seriously though, please keep in mind that Yeti is still a tiny company, and most of us spend all our time just scrambling to keep orders moving out the door in a timely fashion. Participating on here isn't in any part of my job description, but I've been posting on MTBR since I started DHing in 1998 (15 years?! Wow, that makes me feel old!), so it kind of made sense for me to try and offer some insight from Yeti once I got hired a few years ago.

I'll continue to chime in when my schedule allows in the future, but I hope you'll all understand that I also have pretty big time commitments things to our international dealers and distributors.

Cheers,
    JP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I think it speaks well of Yeti as a company that they are willing to come on forums like this and offer any comments at all. Most companies wouldn't even think of it. Just confirms that reputation for quality customer service that Yeti is known for....

... and it comes across that John P. really wants to be able to give us that info on the new stuff, but has to keep it hush hush for now. Sounds like there's some exciting stuff coming soon.

mtbr member
    I've just purchased an SB66 but was interested in what John P had to say. I would have considered the SB75 as an alternative but the added cost in sourcing a fork and a new set of wheels was a major deterrent. For the time being, I'm sticking with 26 inch...
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Yeti UK team just named a female racer to the team...guess what bike she is riding..

Hannah Barnes Joins Yeti Cycles UK

sb66c...enough said...

mtbr member
    What else would she ride..?

mtbr member

No more 66 from Yeti...

So the demise of the bike was due to bike shop buyers anticipating that they will sell 27.5 to shoppers in 2014?

What happens when those shoppers realize that the 27.5 wheel is so negligible that getting a new bike can wait until 2015 when the next latest and greatest comes along?

Those shop buyers will be kicking themselves for having to unload bikes that are just sitting there. Then the consumers buy them at fire sale prices even if they don't need/like the bike that much. They think they can sell the used bike in the future, but they can't because the used market is so saturated with high priced bikes.

Does anyone else see how this is not sustainable? Pumping out new bike shit to the same old customers at a higher price each year? It isn't going to last. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills here!
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    So the demise of the bike was due to bike shop buyers anticipating that they will sell 27.5 to shoppers in 2014?

What happens when those shoppers realize that the 27.5 wheel is so negligible that getting a new bike can wait until 2015 when the next latest and greatest comes along?

Those shop buyers will be kicking themselves for having to unload bikes that are just sitting there. Then the consumers buy them at fire sale prices even if they don't need/like the bike that much. They think they can sell the used bike in the future, but they can't because the used market is so saturated with high priced bikes.

Does anyone else see how this is not sustainable? Pumping out new bike shit to the same old customers at a higher price each year? It isn't going to last. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills here!
    Some people must have the latest and greatest thing out no matter the cost. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

However, I do not get buying and dumping a bike every year (unless you do not like the bike to begin with) because it takes months to truly get the feel of how the bike will react in certain situations.

Linoleum Knife
    Apparently it is sustainable. It's been happening since the beginning of time. There is some percentage of cyclists that can justify a new bike purchase because there is XXXX new technology that will somehow make them a better rider.

More travel, less travel, wheel size, carboninium. Save 200g, roll bigger tires, and in no time you will be coming in 15th in your cat 3 race instead of 16th.

Bike dealers / manufacturers have tapped into this irrationality, and are exploiting it to the fullest. You don't make money by telling people that their 6 year old bike just needs a new chain, and they need to work on gaining some skillz to become a better rider.

You sell them new stuff. Which is more expensive, therefore it must be better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    Apparently it is sustainable. It's been happening since the beginning of time. There is some percentage of cyclists that can justify a new bike purchase because there is XXXX new technology that will somehow make them a better rider.

More travel, less travel, wheel size, carboninium. Save 200g, roll bigger tires, and in no time you will be coming in 15th in your cat 3 race instead of 16th.

Bike dealers / manufacturers have tapped into this irrationality, and are exploiting it to the fullest. You don't make money by telling people that their 6 year old bike just needs a new chain, and they need to work on gaining some skillz to become a better rider.

You sell them new stuff. Which is more expensive, therefore it must be better.
    I agree with you ha ha. I bought a new SB66c because I couldn't pass on the fire sale and wanted the newest and greatest. Was my 2011 575 perfectly capable? Yup, I loved that bike but boy do I feel amazing on the SB66c ha ha.

mtbr member
    Hey guys please help me find a SB66C in size large. I only found XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Ebay or pinkbike

mtbr member
    Good luck -- seems like those got snapped up once word got out.
    There's on one ebay that's a demo
    2013 Yeti SB66 Carbon Demo Huge Price Reduction | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    Good luck -- seems like those got snapped up once word got out.
    There's on one ebay that's a demo
    2013 Yeti SB66 Carbon Demo Huge Price Reduction | eBay
    I am looking for the frame only. Found a large but aluminum, I want carbon. Lbs has a meduim carbon but complete bike. I had a medium aluminum and it did feel small. I also found XL but it might be too big for me, Im 6 ft tall.
    I there any 6ft guy riding a XL?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Well. The power of marketing and "groupthink" is a very very very very powerful thing. People, honestly are not far away from herding animals.

Especially sheep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    Have you called you're local/closest Yeti dealer? Just because online retailers don't have any doesn't mean you're out of luck. I asked my local Yeti dealer (Toronto, Canada) to inquire about getting a SB66c in the near future. I was told that there are still some in stock at Yeti and can be ordered. I was also told not to wait too long because obviously first come, first serve!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast