mtbr member

Niner Air9 to ARC Carbon

I loved my Niner Air9 Carbon, but unfortunately, she was taken from me without my permission last weekend. Fortunately, my homeowner's insurance will be covering the loss. So I walked into the LBS and I'm picking up the ARC Carbon that I'd been checking out since they came in.

I've studied the geometry and I know that the ARC has shorter chain stays, a slacker head tube angle, and a longer seat tube. But how does that translate to real world trail riding?

The ARC Carbon is a medium frame, turquoise, Race edition with some of the parts replaced with what I was riding on the Niner. Such as Ritchey stem, Schwalbe tires, Crossmax wheels, and Selle Italia saddle.

I'm hoping that the insurance process doesn't take too long....

Looking forward to joining the tribe.

mtbr member
    Love my ARC Carbon

I think you will be happy, the handling is great, low center of gravity for a 29er, really does well in tight singletrack and is easy to let open up when pointed down.

mtbr member

Niner Air9 to ARC Carbon

Glad to hear it because I picked it up this afternoon and went on an 8 mile jaunt at my local trial. Handled really well. Climbed just as easily as the A9 RDO, and I could definitely see how the stiffer rear end translates to a quicker handling bike.

The transition from X9 to XT is much more difficulty for me. More so in the brakes. Trying to dial in the modulation and contact pad adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by VanillaEps; 08-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow I'm in the same boat currently have a air Niner carbon looking at a arc. I want something more nimber lower bb shorter stays.

Do u like the arc more than the Niner? Can u compare the two? Thanks

mtbr member

Niner Air9 to ARC Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Wow I'm in the same boat currently have a air Niner carbon looking at a arc. I want something more nimber lower bb shorter stays.

Do u like the arc more than the Niner? Can u compare the two? Thanks
    I'm not saying this because I now ride the ARC, but I love the ARC and it's a such more confident, stiffer, point it and pedal kind of ride. If I could compare them, the Niner is less stiffer.

Riding the same terrain, the Niner would lightly slide in the rear when taking tight uphill switchbacks. The Yeti will stay true and on track and keep me planted. It's really confidence inspiring. The thru-axle in the rear is also a plus and may be the reason for the stiffer rear end. The slightly slack HT angle means on the descents, it's a joy. No fear. I point down and she rides over it without any hesitation or possibility of an endo. The shorter chain stay means the corners are tighter.

Overall, I love the ARC. I love it more than the Niner and the Niner was no slouch.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free