mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Next bike question - Cannondale 29 vs ARC/Big Top

So I think next year will be when I transition off of my asr-sl into a 29er. I rode a friends cannondale f29 carbon and was impressed with the amount give there was. The bike was a joy to ride and didn't beat me up. I would really like to stay with a yeti but have not found anyone local I could borrow a big top from. Price wise I am looking at the enduro bt but would love to get into a carbon. My question is for anyone who has ridden the three bikes or at least 2 of them, how does the ride quality compare. I am willing to give up a little weight so not worried about that.

Thanks for any input.

Eric

mtbr member
    I have extensive ride time on the big top and Cannondale, and about 180 miles on my ARC Carbon.

Big Top is a different animal than a flash, way more of a stout bike that is really intended for abuse. The carbon rear is as compliant as the flash but the flash uses a 27.2 seatpost vs Yeti 30.9. A LOT of the give on a flash comes from the smaller "SAVE" seatpost.

I have ridden a friends big top that had the seatpost shimmed down to a 27.2 and it was like riding a pillow.

ARCC is super smooth even with 30.9 post. Arc and big top handle better than the flash, and neither use the lefty and that is a HUGE plus.