mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Newer rider transitioning from 29er Steel Hardtail

Hello Yeti Tribe,

I don't want this to be another which bike should I get sort of post, but what I am looking for is mostly feedback on a few of the Yeti bikes (compared to each other or just overall opinions for my needs). My nearest Yeti dealer is about an hour away which isn't a big deal, but they don't stock them so I can't demo them. I would most likely be ordering online from either Jenson or Competitive Cycles. I'm trying to gather as much rider feedback on selecting the right model for me.

I'll give you a little background on myself. I am 5' 10" with a 31" inseam. I am longer in my arms and torso. I have demo'd bikes with a 24" top tube and it's no problem, usually the standover is the issue with a large so I generally prefer a medium. Something that has always drawn me to Yeti is there heritage, design and yes the longer top tube and overbuilt frame. I am around 195-200 lbs with an athletic muscular build, in the summer I sometimes get down to 185 lbs depending on my activity level. I am a newer rider, I have been riding since May of 2014. I was an avid trail runner and while training for a marathon, I suffered a terrible achilles injury. The root of my achilles injury stems from another leg issue which would require surgery to correct the problem and repair the achilles. My doctors advise, if you don't LOVE running and want to stay on trails and outdoors, can I suggest mountain biking...and so it began.

So began the quest for my first bike into my mountain biking foray. I decided that I wanted to start with a steel 29er hardtail. I wanted something that was versatile and that I could grow with. After several trips to LBSs and internet research, I decided on a 2014 Salsa El Mariachi that was a custom build from frame. It's outfitted with a 1 x 10 XT / Race Face Drivetrain, SLX / XT brakes, Race Face Turbine Cockpit and Wheels and a Reba (100 mm) fork. I absolutely love this bike, but as my skills are improving and my riding is taking me to more aggressive trails, I feel I have a need for a full suspension bike. I live in Baltimore, MD, but have been venturing to York, PA, Virginia and Frederick MD for rides lately. The PA trails are very rocky so I'm looking for something that can climb and handle rocky terrain.

I plan to keep my steel hardtail and eventually set it up single speed and possibly rigid to give me a different ride and skill set. I have no plans to race, I am simply doing this for fun, exercise and my love for the outdoors. With that said, I have been looking at either the SB-95 (jenson has two exclusive builds, one with the fox fork, on with an MRP Loop TR fork), the SB-75 with XT gruppo and Stans Arch EX wheels, or the SB-66 with XT gruppo and Stans Flow EX wheels (both from Competitive Cyclist). Please keep in mind that I am keeping the 29er hardtail for the XC and local stuff. I am looking for a second bike that can handle the rough stuff and rocky climbs and descents.

I have demo'd or street ridden a few bikes such as the 2014 Salsa Horsethief, Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Evo, Specialized Enduro 27.5 (out of my price range), Kona Process 134 (had a hard time climbing), Trek Remedy 8 and 9.8 29er and a Giant Trance X. I have to say that I am generally more comfortable and feel more confident on a 27.5 than I do my 29er hartdtail, but I am open to any of the Yeti models I mentioned.

Thank you and please take it easy on this newbie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The new Switch Infinity bikes (SB5c/6c) are awesome on wet, chunky rocks and roots. Up and down. Rode both, got the 6c, but the 5c is seriously good. There are a couple trails near me where the extra travel is nice, though

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thank you for the reply MisledYouth. Unfortunately, those two bikes are out of my price range. I'm looking at spending $2500 - $3500 for the full build.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    It may not be the sexy choice, but I'd take the 575 over either of the bikes you mentioned in a heartbeat. It's lighter than both, and in my opinion, more versatile. It's also a current year bike, so it will hold it's value for longer (the SB95 and SB75 have both been discontinued).

Cheers,
    JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    John P.

I just wanted to get your opinion on how the 575 with single pivot climbs vs the switch pivot bikes? I didn't know the 75 was discontinued.