mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New Yeti owner stopping in

Hi Yeti tribe,

I'm 45 and returning to mtb after a decade off having boys and being a husband (I still have those gigs, but getting back to my former loves). I started mtb in med school (i'm an oncologist) and bought a Specialized A1 comp when aluminum was a pretty awesome new material. I had that same 15 yo mtb this year when I decided I was going to ride a 40 mile XC race near my cabin in Cable, WI. First thing I decided was it might be time for a new bike....things might've changed in 15 yrs.

I like to study so I read everything I could find on mtb suspension, different companies, ride tests, etc. I was pretty convinced I would stick to a specialized and get an Epic when I found so many great reviews of the Yeti SB95 and Santa Cruz TBs. Last week I happened on the Yeti site and noticed they sell demos and they had a demo in my size (small...really hard to find small frames). I double clicked and it should be here this week.

Questions for the tribe:

1) Do you even try to put a water bottle cage on yours? I plan to ride a lot of short courses where a wb is a bit easier than a pack. If so, where? With a small frame I think the main frame might be impossible.

2) Ever have problems finding a LBS that will service it? There is not 1 dealer in MN (my primary home) and only 1 in WI (my cabin, and it's 5 hrs from my cabin). I had to send the bike to a LBS (they only ship demos to bike shops) and I got the feeling they were not super happy that I didn't get the Epic.

Thanks and happy to join the Yeti tribe. Is there any initiation/hazing required?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Congrats, enjoy the ride!

I don't use a WB on mine '95 because I don't find the under-down-tube location useful or safe to drink from. I need to get a smaller pack though, have you thought about using like a runner's fanny-pack that can hold a bottle? It'd also be useful to have a few minor tools with you (flat fixer, etc.), and maybe snacks, and a place to put keys/phone/wallet when appropriate. If you're dead-set on putting a bottle on the bike I'd think it may work better on either the seat post or off the stem. (shrug)

I do pretty much all my own work so no I don't have a problem, but for someone who doesn't 90% of the work on the bike should be bike-brand-agnostic and any decent shop should be fine. The only thing you'll need to deal with, if ever, is anything Yeti specific. Warranty issues, if any. If you got a FS bike you'll probably want to buy any bearing replacement kits yourself when it's needed to service the bike and provide them to the shop. I can't imagine a non-yeti shop will get a price break on service kits and making sure you get the right stuff could save frustration. On my '95a I don't feel the urge to replace bearings and such any more frequently than annually, but then I don't ride the bike in winter crud, for the most part.

Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got the two fish quick cage and strap it on top of the top tube when I race or want to take a water bottle. it is easier to get to than in the triangle if I could put one there. works pretty good.

undercover brother
    I ride my 66 with a waterbottle on the downtube for short rides. Works perfectly. Not sure why man people don't like that. Sure your bottle gets a little dirty, but so does everything.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hospitalist from North Dakota here. I have a small sb95 as well. Have a waterbottle cage on the downtube and just use it for short rides. Problem I have is, with a regular size water bottle and fork set to descend mode, the front tire will rub the top of the water bottle when I land after a big jump or drop. Seems to be less of an issue in the fox "trail" setting. Smaller bottle would probably alleviate this issue as well. Also, if you get a camelback podium bottle, get the mud cover. It's well worth it.
    Like Bear, I also do all of my maintenance. It really isn't that difficult (just started 2 years ago cuz my LBS sells specialized). I bought a good bike tool kit, a feedback sports stand, and the book "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance". Whatever you can't find in that book is usually findable on the interwebs. Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the tribe!