Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New Yeti model on the horizon!?!

Maybe the 180mm SB Enduro weve been waiting for.

Dirt Rag visits the Yeti Bikes offices in Golden, Colo. | Dirt Rag Magazine

After our ride, Chris Conroy, president of Yeti, along with staffers Dave and Nate, treated us to lunch. We talked a lot about the legacy of Yeti and some things they were excited about for 2013. The Big Mountain Enduro Series and enduro racing in general were hot topics. Everyone agreed that the format has been great for the industry and wed like to see more of it. Yeti specifically has some great product coming down the pike that it think will be huge for them, but I cant give you any details. If you think 2012 was a big year, keep an eye out for the turquoise during 2013.

Mr. Knowitall
    Why would Yeti make an Enduro specific bike? The SB-66 is sooo capable and more for that kind of racing. Making it even bulkier/heavier will not make sense!

mtbr member
    These kind of teaser statements annoy me. They aren't useful to the customers or riders in any way. Yeti showed exactly dick worth of new products at the 2 major trade shows, it's pretty clear that they aren't going to have anything new this year, based on that. Maybe they'll show something at Sea Otter, but that probably wouldn't be available till fall of 2013, unless they are going to have the first showing when it shows up at dealers, which IMO would be a stupid move.

I'm a little curious what an Enduro-specific bike would even be, compared to the SB66. It seems like it has sort of settled out that 160mm is pretty much the limit of what makes sense for anything but downhill bikes, and the days of the freeride-specific bike seem to be over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeti themselves classify the SB66 as a trail bike, which I disagree with. It's geometry and construction are much more than simply trail.

Many manufactures are moving into the longer travel all mountain/Enduro market and I think it's fairly well settled that this market isn't based on 150mm frames. If you go to an Enduro race in Europe you would see more 180mm frames than 150's, with the majority being 160. I was shocked this year at the amount of coil forks being run, especially at the bigger races. I don't think anyone is running less than 170mm up front, which wouldn't work on the SB66 with it's already slack headtube and seat tube angles. I think a 160mm race version which would allow the longer travel fork flexibility would be awesome.

I with you on being annoyed. I've been holding off on replacing my SB66 with a SB66C to see what was released at Interbike. With no new models I'm ready to order, but then read this.

mtbr member
    Maybe they're alluding to a carbon SB95?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Who knows, this comment by a Dirt Rag writer might add up to nothing. Could just be referring to the carbon 303. I hope we some new stuff, of course, especially on the XC side of things. The ASR needs some updating (e.g., tapered HT); I've heard speculation of an all carbon Big Top - but I think Yeti would be wise to create a racier, less "trail" oriented carbon 29 HT - a 29 ARC, if you will - they would sell a ton of those. I'd like to see the Switch trickle down to the 4 and 5 inch bikes. 650 also a possibility. 650 5 inch version of the the ASR5C with switch suspension? Would definitely like that, although after 2 years I'm still as keen as ever on my 5C.

Illuminati
    patience guys. Yeti do have some new stuff in the pipeline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Who knows, this comment by a Dirt Rag writer might add up to nothing. Could just be referring to the carbon 303. I hope we some new stuff, of course, especially on the XC side of things. The ASR needs some updating (e.g., tapered HT); I've heard speculation of an all carbon Big Top - but I think Yeti would be wise to create a racier, less "trail" oriented carbon 29 HT - a 29 ARC, if you will - they would sell a ton of those. I'd like to see the Switch trickle down to the 4 and 5 inch bikes. 650 also a possibility. 650 5 inch version of the the ASR5C with switch suspension? Would definitely like that, although after 2 years I'm still as keen as ever on my 5C.
    I've always wanted a 5C, but from the reviews I've read it sounds like it's really in the same neighborhood as the SB66. Pedals up well, and wants to be railed down. It does seem pretty slack for a 5 inch bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Maybe they're alluding to a carbon SB95?
    Is the FS 29er market that large for a company like Yeti that they would need two models? I always figured the FS 29er was more of a niche market for Yeti given their customer base. I would think a carbon hardtail 29er for the XC racers would be the first thing on their mind.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Hey guys-

Thanks for all the friendly comments. I especially like the 'dick worth' one - that's a phrase I have not heard before. Kudos for your creativity.

Anyway, we do indeed have a ton of new stuff in the pipeline including more than a couple new models for 2013, but I can't release any details at the moment. As 'annoying' is it may be not to release details, we've learned from our mistakes of announcing bikes early, working everyone into a lather about them, then dealing with the inevitable production delays and increasingly angry phone calls we get while we work out the bugs with manufacturing. We're riders, too, and we'd much rather see you guys out having fun on your bikes than pining away for the next cool model we're delivering.

Going forward, we won't have press releases for any of our bikes until they're physically in our warehouse and ready to ship. No more of this 'two more weeks' stuff you've heard from just about every company in the business (including us). When you hear about a bike from us, it's because we're ready to sell it to you.

This manner of business will create a few issues, including forecasting headaches, not being able to show too much new stuff at Interbike/Eurobike (unless the production and tradeshow schedules happen to align), and the fact that some people hoping to hold out for whatever's 'next' won't really have much advanced notice. But here's the thing: there's ALWAYS something cooler coming down the pike. The next iteration of every bike we create will ALWAYS be lighter/stronger/better-er than the current iteration. The flipside of that is that our current stuff is pretty damn good in its own right, and strong enough/light enough/cool enough for 99.9% of us out here. You can either keep waiting for something new - an exercise that will literally never end, or just pony up, get out on the trail, and start enjoying your bike!

Hope this helps,

John P.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Hey guys-

Thanks for all the friendly comments. I especially like the 'dick worth' one - that's a phrase I have not heard before. Kudos for your creativity.

Anyway, we do indeed have a ton of new stuff in the pipeline including more than a couple new models for 2013, but I can't release any details at the moment. As 'annoying' is it may be not to release details, we've learned from our mistakes of announcing bikes early, working everyone into a lather about them, then dealing with the inevitable production delays and increasingly angry phone calls we get while we work out the bugs with manufacturing. We're riders, too, and we'd much rather see you guys out having fun on your bikes than pining away for the next cool model we're delivering.

Going forward, we won't have press releases for any of our bikes until they're physically in our warehouse and ready to ship. No more of this 'two more weeks' stuff you've heard from just about every company in the business (including us). When you hear about a bike from us, it's because we're ready to sell it to you.

This manner of business will create a few issues, including forecasting headaches, not being able to show too much new stuff at Interbike/Eurobike (unless the production and tradeshow schedules happen to align), and the fact that some people hoping to hold out for whatever's 'next' won't really have much advanced notice. But here's the thing: there's ALWAYS something cooler coming down the pike. The next iteration of every bike we create will ALWAYS be lighter/stronger/better-er than the current iteration. The flipside of that is that our current stuff is pretty damn good in its own right, and strong enough/light enough/cool enough for 99.9% of us out here. You can either keep waiting for something new - an exercise that will literally never end, or just pony up, get out on the trail, and start enjoying your bike!

Hope this helps,

John P.
    I don't ride a Yeti (would love to trail test a SB66c). But I love this response. Because it makes sense.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey guys-

Hope this helps,

John P.
    I'm a huge fan of Yeti. The company, the people, the BIKES. Awesome company...but I think this marketing plan sucks. Sure it works for dollars. Why make an announcement today that may make someone pause on a purchase, knowing that as schizophrenic as we are, we'll put a bike or frame in the classifieds in a minute to get the latest and greatest.

I bought my first Yeti, a 2011 575 in Nov 2011. Ordered it at the end of Oct and picked it up the first week of Nov. By the first week of Dec Yeti dumped the price by $1000. Now I'm sitting here thinking, should I upgrade to a SB66C or wait and see.Maybe try a Ibis or Meta SX. I know I don't want to drop 3K on a 66C frame only to find out that there's going to be a 160 or longer mm version available in a month.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    I know I don't want to drop 3K on a 66C frame only to find out that there's going to be a 160 or longer mm version available in a month.
    Go ride your 575 in the mean time.

I really like my SB-66, and cannot see any new bike for me in the near future. Maybe a 160mm rear with some weight shed, but that is just the finishing touch. I sold my DH bike as my SB-66 is good enough for park use.

But it is always cool to see something new coming. It makes my day. A finishing touch could be Reverb Stealth/LEV Integra compatible Trail-AM bike. THAT would be ace.

John P. Your response is just spot on. How many ghosts haven't we seen in the industry with "soon to be released" bikes being in the pipeline for months or years:
    Evil Undead (finally came this year)
    Morewood Sukuma (shown at Eurobike 2010... hit the market this fall)
    Ibis Ripley (no news on release yet)

Better to postpone rather than saying "2 weeks". Although I hope there will not be another situation as was with the SB-66 where "2 weeks" became 2 months+.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm with the reasonable approach John P stated.

We-the-internet-abusing-public think we have a right to instant knowledge and awareness of everything everywhere.

Which isn't so.

It's an illusion.

Relax a bit, put away the mouse or the smart-phone, and go listen to the hum of tires on dirt.

Please.

mtbr member
    My annoyance isn't with Yeti playing it close to the chest. After the fiasco with the ASR7, I totally understand that.

My annoyance is that they apparently told someone at dirt rag something, and they passed on a vague hint. Actually, not even really a hint, more of a "I know something you don't know!"
    If you guys aren't going to tell us anything, don't tell anyone anything. With dirt rag dropping hints that there's something cool in the works, we're still going to speculate what it is, and are likely to be disappointed that it isn't whatever we were imagining. Which it won't be.

mtbr member
    I'm a huge fan of Yeti. The company, the people, the BIKES. Awesome company...but I think this marketing plan sucks. Sure it works for dollars. Why make an announcement today that may make someone pause on a purchase, knowing that as schizophrenic as we are, we'll put a bike or frame in the classifieds in a minute to get the latest and greatest.

the simple reason to announce something today that will cause someone to pause on a purchase, is it will cause them to pause on a purchase of another brand.
    My next bike will be a carbon FS 29er. I could buy a Tallboy LTc or a Spider Comp today, I think I'd prefer a SB95c if that ever happens.
    So if Yeti wants me to hurry up and buy a santa cruz, then yeah, this is a great approach. If they are intending their future bikes will only compete with their current offerings, again, great. If they think they have so much brand loyalty built up that we won't buy anything else...
    If they are intending to compete with any other manufacturer... not so much.

And with the hint-dropping at dirt rag, it's still going to cause those type of people to pause on their purchase decision, and when whatever comes out isn't what they wanted, I don't think it unlikely that some other bike will seem more attractive by then.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    so, basically, it's Dirt Rag's fault.

;^)

but really, hints or no, we're all going to speculate wildly no matter what, this IS the internet, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    the simple reason to announce something today that will cause someone to pause on a purchase, is it will cause them to pause on a purchase of another brand.
    My next bike will be a carbon FS 29er. I could buy a Tallboy LTc or a Spider Comp today, I think I'd prefer a SB95c if that ever happens.
    So if Yeti wants me to hurry up and buy a santa cruz, then yeah, this is a great approach. If they are intending their future bikes will only compete with their current offerings, again, great. If they think they have so much brand loyalty built up that we won't buy anything else...
    If they are intending to compete with any other manufacturer... not so much.

And with the hint-dropping at dirt rag, it's still going to cause those type of people to pause on their purchase decision, and when whatever comes out isn't what they wanted, I don't think it unlikely that some other bike will seem more attractive by then.
    I think this is a great point. I love my SB66a but need a bike with a bit more suspension due to constantly finding the end of the shock and my rear tire hitting the seat tube. It's a slight bottom out and rub, but it's going to result in issues. My thoughts are to build up a 66C for trail use, and a longer travel bike (Yeti??) for Enduro racing. If I knew today that there is a longer travel SB on the horizon waiting would be no problem. I've been looking at the Spec Enduro or Commencal Meta SX as an alternative if Yeti isn't going to bring a longer travel version to market in the next 6 months or so. This is where a marketing hint would be helpful. I'm a Yeti guy and I would think Yeti would want to keep me from wandering into another stable.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Guys-

I'm crazy busy booking bikes for distributors right now, but I'll do my best to answer a few of these concerns

I'm a huge fan of Yeti. The company, the people, the BIKES. Awesome company...but I think this marketing plan sucks.
    It's not a marketing plan so much as a way of checking ourselves and making sure we don't make promises we can't keep. We absolutely understand that this approach may make people pursue other brands (that ARE making promises they may or may not keep) in the short term, but we think in the long term, there's a bigger benefit to a customer knowing they can trust what they hear from us.

My annoyance is that they apparently told someone at dirt rag something, and they passed on a vague hint. Actually, not even really a hint, more of a "I know something you don't know!"
    If you guys aren't going to tell us anything, don't tell anyone anything. With dirt rag dropping hints that there's something cool in the works, we're still going to speculate what it is, and are likely to be disappointed that it isn't whatever we were imagining. Which it won't be.
    I wasn't at that particular lunch, but I'd be shocked if anything was told to Dirt Rag other than 'we've got some really cool new stuff on the horizon'. There's a possibility they could have discussed some of the market segments we're pursuing more vigorously for 2013 - 29ers, for the most part - but I can't imagine much more was said than that.

I think you'll be pleased with our mid-2013 offerings.

I love my SB66a but need a bike with a bit more suspension
    If you can't wait until 2014-ish, I'd pursue other options. I'd absolutely hate to see you leave Yeti, but a longer travel 26"-wheel SB is not in our plans at the moment.

Hope this helps a little. I'm in a tough position of wanting to help you guys out but also being bound by a certain degree of confidentiality.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Guys-
    It's not a marketing plan so much as a way of checking ourselves and making sure we don't make promises we can't keep. We absolutely understand that this approach may make people pursue other brands (that ARE making promises they may or may not keep) in the short term, but we think in the long term, there's a bigger benefit to a customer knowing they can trust what they hear from us.
    JP
    This. So much this!

I'm at work and normally would wait until later to post, but I'm also a new BT owner and just wanted to throw in my $0.02 to the discussion.

I'll take a public relations strategy of "this is what we will do and when we will do it" over "this is what we are thinking of doing and when we might be able to do it" every single day.

Establish your values, communicate your values and stay true to your values regardless of the consequences. Amen.

That being said, and I apologize for the off topic diversion, but I have been getting some blow back from the Warranty/Service department regarding my request for a specific part and model number break down of the components used to make my factory "race" build. Apart from that, I have nothing by positives to say about my overall Yeti experience thus far.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    John P's reply gets to the heart of why I love Yeti as a brand. They keep us reasonably informed (We do have cool new stuff coming), but don't try to freeze the market with premature announcements of product. IMHO, it really gets back to their ethos as a company- Ride Driven. Plenty of bike companies out there are Marketing Driven, and announce the newest thing way in advance, with a new version of products regularly, in an effort to drive more incremental revenue. I would rather know about the final version of the bike, ready to ship, than the beta version, that, with the inevitable production delays, won't ship for 6 months.

We aren't trying to buy a cure for cancer, folks. We all need to go ride the bike we have today.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you can't wait until 2014-ish, I'd pursue other options. I'd absolutely hate to see you leave Yeti, but a longer travel 26"-wheel SB is not in our plans at the moment.

Perfect! This is all the information I needed. Now I can comfortably order my SB66c!

LCW
    mtbr member
    ... but a longer travel 26"-wheel SB is not in our plans at the moment.

Hope this helps a little. I'm in a tough position of wanting to help you guys out but also being bound by a certain degree of confidentiality.

JP

Oooh - so could this mean a longer travel 575 style bike? I'd love that! I like the plusher nature of the 575's suspension. 675 maybe??
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.3 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks a heap John.

Yeti is an awesome company due to its people first. Thanks for checking in and having this conversation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post

We-the-internet-abusing-public think we have a right to instant knowledge and awareness of everything everywhere.

Relax a bit, put away the mouse or the smart-phone, and go listen to the hum of tires on dirt.

Please.
    QFT

Spread the word.

The recent communications from ibis, niner, and yeti have given me hope again for the bike industry.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast