mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New Head Tube Badge

I just purchased the metal head tube badge from yeti for my 575. My 575 is one of the earlier ones with the painted logo on the head tube. Can anyone offer suggestions for removing this logo/decal from the head tube? I'd like to have a clean, blank surface to attach the new badge to. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gravity Tester
    More thank likely it's under the clearcoat. Without carefully sanding through it and re-clearing, its essentially permanent. If it's not under the clear, you could try wet sanding with 1200 grit , then polish it back out with rubbing and polishing compounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    More thank likely it's under the clearcoat. Without carefully sanding through it and re-clearing, its essentially permanent. If it's not under the clear, you could try wet sanding with 1200 grit , then polish it back out with rubbing and polishing compounds.
    forgot to add it's black, anodized frame, no clear coat. A good part of the pic is already gone due to rubbing by brake line. Now I just need to get rid of the rest of it.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarney
    forgot to add it's black, anodized frame, no clear coat. A good part of the pic is already gone due to rubbing by brake line. Now I just need to get rid of the rest of it.
    Goo Gone worked for someone on this board a while back. Let me know how it goes, I have a badge for mine that i'm going to put on at some point.

mtbr member
    Somebody posted all the Yeti-writing on the frame was gone when he tried to clean his anodized frame with some kind of solvent...

Maybe this helps,
    egika

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    FYI: I used a laquer thinner (from Lowe's) and a rag; worked perfectly. The head tube is now naked as the day she was anodized ('cept for the brake line rub spot). Now comes the difficult part of finding the center line, accurately, and marking the spot for holes.

Gravity Tester
    Watch how you mark those holes. The head tube badge's holes aren't perfectly centered or plumb to one another. Mark the center of the tube. Position the top hole and mark it, then align it visually, and mark the bottom hole where it lies.

The intuitive thing is to measure the center-to-center and lay it out on the bike assuming that they're on the vertical center. They're not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    Watch how you mark those holes. The head tube badge's holes aren't perfectly centered or plumb to one another. Mark the center of the tube. Position the top hole and mark it, then align it visually, and mark the bottom hole where it lies.

The intuitive thing is to measure the center-to-center and lay it out on the bike assuming that they're on the vertical center. They're not.
    Heh, yeah, figured as much; just going to find centerline then put badge in place to mark holes (using holes already there). I may use rubber cement just to hold momentarily to see how it looks.

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

Solvents for raw finished frames?

I also got stuck with one of the frames with the headtube sticker. Just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the frame, but the metal badge would blend perfectly.

So...
    Would laquer thinner or goo gone work to remove the sticker on a raw finished frame?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the raw finish does have a clear coat applied.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think it does have a clear coat; if you decide to remove it, as I did, best to test carefully. Use a q-tip and rub a small spot. What I'd do is clean the tube, use the thinner to remove clear coat/decal, clean again, then apply a clear laquer coat over the newly cleared spot, maybe a couple of coats. I've not applied the badge on mine yet and I think I'm going to use a flat black industrial spray paint (I already have a can) to cover up the rub spot I had. At worst, if you didn't use a clear coat after, you'd probably not notice. Bare aluminum will oxidize slightly and seal itself, more-or-less.

jna
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just purchased the metal head tube badge from yeti for my 575. My 575 is one of the earlier ones with the painted logo on the head tube. Can anyone offer suggestions for removing this logo/decal from the head tube? I'd like to have a clean, blank surface to attach the new badge to. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I put a metal badge on my wifes white 04' model. I had a professional aircraft painter that I work with do the job. He sanded the head tube to remove the clear coat but left the original badge and painted two coats of matching white over it, the badge was no longer visible. Next day he put clear coat on and then I put the bage on. It looks factory. If you have black ano you can take the painted badge off with a mild solvent, and just put the new one on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jna
    I put a metal badge on my wifes white 04' model. I had a professional aircraft painter that I work with do the job. He sanded the head tube to remove the clear coat but left the original badge and painted two coats of matching white over it, the badge was no longer visible. Next day he put clear coat on and then I put the bage on. It looks factory. If you have black ano you can take the painted badge off with a mild solvent, and just put the new one on.
    see #6 above.

also, did you drill holes to use the pins to hold the badge or did you use a 2-sided tape? If you drilled, what size bit did you use?
    Last edited by jcarney; 09-15-2006 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added comment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    Goo Gone worked for someone on this board a while back. Let me know how it goes, I have a badge for mine that i'm going to put on at some point.
    That might have been me. I was trying to un-stick a brake lever that has seized because I was too liberal with some loctite on the reach adjuster screw. I was using Goof Off.

I still havn't cleaned off the painted head badge, but I'm still thinking about buying one of their metal badges and just using JB Weld to put it on.

Naked 575

"If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Hi !
    can this be a 2006 model ?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kali
    Hi !
    can this be a 2006 model ?

nope... I would say 2004-05

In my mind, I can do it!
    The ano has a clear coat on it too I think. If the sticker is exposed and not clear coated then you might be able to do something like use a heat gun or something to remove it. It may just be easier to get some flat black auto paint and paint over it then put the headbadge on. No one would ever know... except us that is...
    Remember: "Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Junk"

Quote: "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks"
    - A Yeti Rider