Thread: New fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New fork

I'm looking into getting a new fork for my SB-95, the one I have on there right now is too short on travel (only 100mm) Ive looked at Fox,RS,Marzocchi,and Manitou(that's whats currently on it the Tower Pro). I'm leaning towards the Fox Talas in 140mm version. So A question I have is, is it crazy to consider putting a Manitiou Dorado fork on it? That's a lot of fork for that bike. I mean for the amount of money that I would put down for a Fox Talas34 in 140mm of travel (about 1100$) vs $1300 for a Dorado with 180mm of travel.

Is there such thing as too much travel?

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Yes, geometry will be changed and compromised. One of the things that makes the 95 handle so well is the low(ish) bb. Gives you the feeling of being in the bike rather than teetering on top of it. Add a DH fork at 180 and longer axle-to-crown and that changes. Not to mention the weight. Also, Yeti will only warranty your frame up to 140 mm, since any longer travel forks can load the bike in such a way as to generate stresses beyond the original design's capacity. The Fox 34 TALAS 140 is probably your best bet, but I have read that the Manitou Tower is a great fork, as well as RockShox or Marz. More travel does not always equal a better ride.

Personally, after riding the 95 in a few demos at places like GJ's Holy Cross I don't think that you need more than 120. But, I have never rode the 95 with 140. So, that is why the TALAS would be a good option...and what I would put on a 95c as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on one! The 140 setting gives you some more DH ability and a slightly higher bb when needed, and the 110 setting is so close to the geo of the 120 that made me fall in love with that bike the first time.

Ramble over
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd stick with something 140 "max" as more than that and I think the handling will be compromised for climbing and cornering.

I really like mine at 140mm, but maybe I'm wierd. The extra BB height also helps in the NE PA rock growth zones called trail.

It sure doesn't lose my "dh" at 120, but I just like the feel at 140 more for the way I ride.

I'd think any fork that has a close axle-to-crown to the Fox 34 Float 29 at 140 or 120 would be a good match, the bike deserves a nice solid fork though. I really like the 'feel' of the stock fork I have, I really don't see the need for the cost and expense of a TALAS ... but I don't live in CO (or similar) either.