mtbr member
    Jan 2006

The new ARC C is on my radar bigtime!!

I currently own a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT and a Ventana El Bastardo 650B FS. I really like both bikes but each have their weaknesses and strengths and as you would guess one's weakness is the others strengths. A little about me, I am 5'6" and weigh 165 and am 44. I was really into mountain biking back in 1991-1994 when I lived in Aspen, CO. I then moved to Chicago and then back to Michigan in 2002. Got married had 3 kids and didn't get back into the sport until 3 years ago when I bought the Padrino. Then last spring I bought the Bastardo.

Now what I love about the Padrino is it climbs like a goat and when it is on straight aways it is so fast. However when going downhill on the bike I don't feel super confident. The rides I do in Michigan are singletracks and are a lot of up and down hills. No real long downhills but the downhills are tight and in the trees. If anyone is from Michigan the trail I ride the most, 8 out of 10 rides, is Pontiac Lakes. Now the Bastardo handles the downhills way better than the Padrino and when it comes to handling the corners at speed I'd much rather be on my Bastardo. However I don't care for the pedal bob on the uphills.

So the hard thing for me to figure out is does the confidence come from the difference in FS vs HT or does it comes from the difference in 650B vs 29er? I guess I couldn't go wrong adding the ARC C since I don't have a HT 650B bike. But it is a lot of money to spend without knowing. To be honest what I'd really like is for Yeti to come out with a FS 650B with 4-5" travel. My Bastardo has 5.5" travel and it sort of overkill. However the bike really kills and it only weighs 27.5 lbs. It has a killer wheel set and I do enjoy it.

What say you Yeti fans about the ARC C to replace my Padrino? If I get the ARC C and really enjoy it more than the Padrino on my local singletrack I'll just take my Padrino out to my summer cottage and use it as a road bike. Not perfect for road riding but the roads out there are a combination of Asphalt and dirt.

Thanks,

Chuck

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You could look at upgrading the shock on your Bastardo to a Monarch XX. There's a big difference between full-lockout and pro-pedal on a single pivot bike, and as someone who also rides a hardtail I think you'd really appreciate it. The handlebar remote for the lockout makes it really easy to use, especially if you have a lot of ups and downs like you said where constantly reaching down to flick a pro-pedal lever would be a pain in the butt. Heck, you can get them for less than $300 new on ebay, if they make it in the right size for your bike. Then you could have the best of both worlds in one bike. I put one on my ASR-C and I'm really happy with it in both modes.

And yes, the way you describe your trails doesn't seem like they really play to the strengths of the 29'er wheel size.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac